jbolt and rupert thread - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:04 AM
Lunker

Default jbolt and rupert thread

just curious..........why was that thread locked. all topics on an open forum format should be up for discussion or comment. these e-mails, and this type of moderation do not happen on other boards that i'm a member on as was stated in that thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2005, 02:21 AM

Blade
You know what maybe your right. But piling on us for a mistake is not going to help matters. And if its meant to incite well then I lock it and delete it. Admittedly it was a mistake and we apologize. As Jb had stated in the thread in question was that it was meant for the staff user group and not for you or anyone else. You would think that you never received an erroneous email before. You should be glad it wasn't a Trojan virus that ate your dinner and hard drive as well as fill the room with black smoke. j/k (this is meant as a joke)
If anyone has a real over reaction problem with that then they should probably seek out another board.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:21 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

The email I sent in response to "Rupert" was meant only for the Stripers247 Staff Usergroup. But, as we now know, it went out to the community due to a bug in the forum software. Choosing the Staff Usergroup, then sending an email should do just that.....go to the Usergroup it was sent to. However, it did not, and I will be looking into this issue to avoid any further problems.

The thread you are asking about was locked, because this matter is between Staff, and there is no reason to purposely air it out in front of anyone. I already made the mistake of using the message boards Usergroup function to try and contact Staff, and looked what happened. I see no reason to further this on the message board, and disrupt a Fall Run that has been quite productive thus far.

I just sent out personal apologies to 3 or 4 dozen people that wrote to Jim inquiring about the email. I take full responsibility for the mishap, and it was not Jim who sent it. The board's default email is Jim's, so when sending a message out to our members, thats what appears in the "from" line.

I apologize to you if the email got you that worked up. But if you are looking for a thread to "go to war in", then you are on the wrong board. And yes, this type of stuff happens on EVERY community board from time to time. Time passes, things change, crap happens. That's just the unfortunate reality of it all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2005, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
do not happen on other boards that i'm a member on as was stated in that thread.
Blade It is not BS as your smiley flag says. Whats bs is to start something over it.
Now I hope everyone will go catch a fish rather than fuss over an email. As far as boards go. If you call some place paradise then you can kiss it goodbye.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:13 AM
Lunker

It's cool, mistakes happen. Remember guys, "fishin' is the mission".
Old 09-17-2005, 06:07 AM

I have not been here in a while........

I know there was some problems with the site............seems like they're getting fixed........

Give the guy a break and let him fix things up........mistakes happen.......if something like this bothers you that much you're ill prepared for the real world my friend.......
Old 09-17-2005, 07:33 AM
Lunker

guys. i'm surely not trying to start anything over this issue as it wasn't directed at me. i was merely trying to point out some of the flaws with this site. yes, it is about the fishing and that along with the that i eluded to both here and in my e-mail response to the mass letter that got sent out, are why i don't post here often. i have belonged to other boards for quite a bit longer than here (not so much the other one that propagated this mess) and this stuff doesn't occur as much as it does here.
as i stated, i'm not trying to start anything, or "pile on", merely to point out flaws. i certainly hope no one get their panties in a bunch over this as you've done a fairly good job with the site, though as i stated in my e-mail, maybe a bit to broad of coverage, ie; too many forum topics, too much non-fishing related stuff, etc. but hey, it's your site and you choose to set it up and run it anyway you see fit. that includes staff selection as well.
as far as moving on to other boards, i was there long before and that's where i get the "meat and potatoes", i'll still come here for a "snack" once in a while. so, i mean it sincerely, best of luck to you with the site. keep pushing onward.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:42 AM

I agree with Mr Mom, stuff happens. As soon as I opened the e-mail it was obvious that it didn't concern me and was mistakingly sent. If a guy has nothing better to do than getting his feathers ruffled up over a computer error well I don't know what to tell ya. Don't jump all over the guy for a error, everyone makes em,,,if ya don't , you not human,,Later Dobb
Old 09-17-2005, 07:49 AM

I apoligize to Blade,,,I was one finger typing my post when you posted your last post,,,I posted and seen you had posted again when I was typing,,I read into your post the wrong way,,,sorry... Dobb
Old 09-17-2005, 04:57 PM

Do brussell sprouts come with the meat and potatoes?
Old 09-17-2005, 05:03 PM
First Mate

Good topic for the next Ophra??????
Old 09-17-2005, 05:06 PM

Mike what the heck is ophra?? Do you mean opra? lol

Go to opra!! go to opra!!! Jerry!! Jerry!!!
Old 09-17-2005, 05:08 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Blade, I welcome and respect your opinions and thoughts. First off, I would like to say that I agree with your statement about how many forums we offer. I have talked with the Staff about this on multiple occassions, and had to nix any ideas on new forums, whether good or bad. On the other hand, I think you may have the wrong idea of what our vision is here. We are not here to create another common, "vanilla" fishing message board with 10 or less forums and nothing else to do. Yes, a respectful fishing community is our prime objective, but secondly, we are interested in giving members an enjoyable place to come and "hang out", be it while during a slow day at work, a sick day, a rainy day, etc. This board was created in hopes of offering new members an alternative to the "posse-like" atmospheres of other message boards. Some are still around, some have gone. But this community was not created by a group of people who already knew each other. This group was created firstly but GREAT PEOPLE, who did not know each other, and secondly, good and great fisherman who care about the Striped Bass and its environment. Again, I respect and welcome your opinions, but I think your judgements are based upon a pre-conceived conception, of which may be flawed. I also will not allow you to be critical of the Staff here, when #1, you havent offered a whole lot yourself, and #2, you dont know anyone on the Staff personally. If you are critical on how Staff are selected, then so be it, that's your right. But here, Staff members are first GOOD PEOPLE, before anything else.

I cant help but notice that you, in reality, rarely even participate here. Yet you have appeared, only after a mistake was made, and offered judgements about this community and its Staff. I have spent countless hours of my personal time adding new features to this board for the members here, because I want them to have more than any other board around, and I have received alot of positive feedback. It seems your the first to be openly and vocally critical, so I thought I needed to take the time to explain a few things. I am under the impression that you think Staff members have to catch "17 50 pounders a year" in order to be considered. I would like to offer a correction on this notion, and I will use only myself as an example.....I am an Admin because of my extensive knowledge of phpBB code, HTML and other web based languages/code, my years of experience Admin'ing and maintaining fairly large online communities, web sites, and databases, and secondly, because of my caring for the members of Staff here, as well as our outstanding frequent members, and ofcourse my love and passion for the Striped Bass. Am I great fisherman? No. However I learn everytime I am out on the water. And I'm out the water alot, on average more than the "norm". Am I a good fisherman? Yes. I have been fishing since the age of 8, but took a few years off because I was too busy partying and drinking. I have forgiven myself for this. But ask yourself this question....am I pro-active in my community for and about the Striped Bass, it's resources, and the environment? I am.

What you have failed to realize, is that creating, maintaining, and supervising an online community, web site, and structure, takes alot more than fishing knowledge. If I were an overly-egotistical, world record breaking, millionaire fisherman (which is probably who you think should be Staff on any site), do you think I would have the time for this community and it's members? Thankfully, I am not that person.

Lastly, I see you keep mentioning this "stuff" that keeps happening here more often than on other boards. I like to add my thoughts on this as well.....this Usergrouup email error that just occurred was the first error of any kind here. Now as far as the locked thread goes, it was locked out of respect for the parties involved. I may not particularly like and respect the way I was attacked by one person, but, I will give them atleast enough respect to handle it "behind the scenes" and between those involved, not in an open forum...because it is nobody elses business. This was my objective when trying to use the Stripers247 Staff usergroup to make contact. However, as we know, this did not work the was it was intended, and again, I will be looking into this issue to make sure it never happens to our members ever again. And Blade, this stuff does happen in every online community from time to time....you just may not see it because it is kept "behind the scenes" where it belongs, out of respect for the members. Because there is no need to ruin everyones day with conflict that has nothing to do with them. It seems you would be more happy to see the fighting in public, and watch a thread get blown up with negativity and ill will. Well your on the wrong board if thats the case. Maybe this is why you are so critical of the Staff here? Because we actually squash problems before they even occur?

All I can say to you after hearing your criticizms, is "atleast we have an active Staff". I apologize if this is not your idea of, or your vision of an ideal fishing community. I have seen and recognized your judgements and comments, but fail to see any real constructive criticizm or ideas on how to improve what you think is "wrong". We as a community cannot please everyone. Believe me, I wish I could myself, but its illogical.

Old 09-17-2005, 05:17 PM

But I do have some good news.

"I did not pay a lot for my car insurance".
Old 09-17-2005, 05:20 PM
First Mate

Oprha is kinda like "door knob". I'm sure you hear that one........