Boat Prep - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Boat Prep

Probably preaching to the choir talking to the folks who post and read here but please make sure your boat is checked out on land BEFORE you launch!

Took a ride down to HH this am on the way shopping with the wife and wound up in a 2 hour rescue of three gentlemen in an older boat, about a 20 footer, I/O cuddy dead in the water just up river from the launch.

On the way out I noticed them up in the shallows north of the gravel patch where we used to hand launch (30 years ago), never a good place for a large boat.

Turned around and went back, got out the binoculars and saw they had one guy over the side, waist deep holding the boat against the wind (on shore gusts to 30) and incoming tide with whitecaps. Another making trips back and forth from the helm to the engine compartment.

Walked around the shoreline to see if they needed help. The guy in the 44 degree water looked a bit whipped, finally got someone on board to talk to me to see if they had help coming, or at least a phone on board and one of the older gents on board finally asked me to call 911.

Made the call and went back to the launch to see if any boats were around. Found one boat just taking off down river and asked a guy on shore waiting for him to come back to see if he thought he could help with a tow.

Saw several other boats pass by down river ignoring or not noticing the boat in trouble. True, the captain did not get out his distress flag until I got back to them and let them know I had help coming.

Great and full response from Bethlehem PD and Selkirk volunteers EMT, rescue boat, ambulance, the whole 9. Probably under 15 minutes by which time the fellows from the boat launch brought their boat up and we managed to get the dead boat hooked up and on the way to the launch. Had to push the cuddy off the gravel and they left the poor guy in the water behind.

We got him, barefoot in soaked jeans off the beach and up into the gravel lot and to the ambulance where they checked him out and warmed him up.

They had an inadequate anchor for the boat (a light Danforth), no alternative power, even a Minn Kota would have helped, no cell phone (hard to believe in this day and age) and it appeared that they chose not only the Hudson River but a very windy, whitecapped heavy tide day on the Hudson to "check out the boat". Not a bunch of good decisions. The motor started and got them just far enough to get them in trouble.

The guy in the water who looked to be late 40's to 50 told me it was his fathers boat and this was the first time he had been in it! Welcome to boating on the Hudson River!

And thanks to the young man (you may see him fishing from his kayak on the Hudson at HH) who helped with the process.

Last edited by weregel; 04-13-2014 at 07:08 PM. Reason: add image
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 07:23 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Boat Prep

While reading this I wonder if I reconnected the fuse for the auto-bilge on my boat.... This friendly reminder is a welcome one for sure. Good thing I went to the marina and put the cover on my boat today
Old 04-14-2014, 09:13 PM
Official Member

A good illustration of why to test your boat at Schodack, launch is out of the river.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 12:14 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie the j View Post
A good illustration of why to test your boat at Schodack, launch is out of the river.

If the boat runs good on the ears in the driveway, there is no reason to think it won't run in the river. Those guys had a really bad day, and we have no idea the circumstances leading up to it, or no idea what happened. Luckily everyone was ok. Especially the poor bastards standing in 41degree water. That said, the guys who do not spend the time to run the boats at home, then splash and hog up the launch because the boat won't start, yeah, your annoying to those of us waiting.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Striper Hunter

As someone who has towed in three boats total on the hudson and at saratoga lake and needed a tow once at toga it amazes me how many people won't stop for someone who is obviously dead in the water. Even if you can't tow them in alone, you can at least get a larger boat to help or make a call for them. I'm sure I'll see it happen this season as well and to those who stop to help others, thank you. To those who would rather just get fishing, your day will come and you better hope you get lucky.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Well said.

We walked out to these guys along the shore.

We have also towed several times and been towed once on the St. Lawrence which can be a scary place to be DIW.

I also carry a rechargeable jumper box that we have needed more than anything else to loan to boats with dead batteries.

To give anyone who passed them the benefit of a doubt, they were not actively signaling for help when we initially spotted them and we sort of needed to convince them they were in trouble and needed outside help.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:30 PM
Striper Hunter

The rechargeable jumper box is a great idea. Like you said, its usually a dead battery, sometimes a fuel pump or plug issue. I've also had a few people who simply ran out of gas.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:44 PM
First Mate

I too have run the gammet on boating issues over the years. I've had to call in a mayday, and luckily got towed with 3 feet of water on board in the hudson after a broken drive shaft popped the snuffing box and filled the boat instantly. That was scary. Ran out of gas due to a faulty fuel guage. Been in bad storms on the long island sound, as well as lake erie, and almost had a guy get killed when he fell into water between the boat and a dock we were getting slammed into that had a piece of angle iron sticking out of it, puncturing the boat just above the water line. But like I said before, none of these we're due to a lack of boat prep. Boats were sea worthy and running fine. Its just some times shit happens. We don't know what these fellows situation was. But, to not lend a hand to a fellow boater in need is unheard of. Just not right at all. I carry two paddles, also have the trolling motor in case the main motor were to quit. VHF radio as well as cell. flares, flags, you name it. But I like the idea of the rechargeable battery pack. Might have to invest in one. You never know out there. Gotta have each others backs out there.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Striper Hunter

I have carried jumper packs in boats for eight or ten years, since the day AFTER my starter battery died on the St. Lawrence. Trying to use jumper cables between boats is to say the least interesting.

Still remember buying the first one bright and early on a Monday morning at the little NAPA store just outside Alexandria Bay.

The current barge has a 24v Minn Kota on it as well so I am hauling around two 12v gp 29's for that along with a third for starting as well as the jumper box.

Dead once on big water for lack of a battery was once to many for me.

Below ........

Beautiful drive about 23 km south along the surf in Maryland to the Virginia Boarder fence that keeps the very wild Maryland herd of ponies from mixing with the more domesticated Virginia (Chincoteague) ponies owned by the Volunteer Fire Company.

Been there many times but NEVER during the Striper Run! Timing is everything!

Old 04-15-2014, 10:44 PM
First Mate

Last year was my first with a boat. On my very first time out I ran into two guys who had ran out of gas. I towed them to a dock because I sure as hell hope someone would do that for me!