Man killed in boat by lightning. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-14-2005, 04:09 PM
Lunker

Default Man killed in boat by lightning.

Figured I'd post this as a warning to get off the water during a lightning storm. I've been caught in some bad ones. Sad story this weekend in central Maine.

My condolences to the mens family and friends.

ROME -- Tragedy struck on central Maine waters Sunday for the second straight day, as lightning struck and killed a Rhode Island man who was fishing from a boat on North Pond.

Stephen Pimental, 49, of Pawtucket was killed instantly when lightning struck him on top of the head, according to Kevin M. Anderson of the Maine Warden Service. Efforts to revive Pimental failed, and the cause of death was confirmed at MaineGeneral Medical Center, Thayer Unit, in Waterville.

On Saturday, 19-year-old George Everlith of Palmyra drowned in the Kennebec River in Fairfield. Everlith, who was in the water with two companions, was drawn under by a swift current at Mill Island Park.

Anderson said that Pimental and his fishing companion, Wayne Hyde of Attleboro, Mass., were caught off-guard shortly after 3 p.m. by the quick-hitting storm. They were fishing in Hyde's 21-foot fiberglass boat on a section of the pond known as Little North Pond.

"They had just fueled the boat and the weather came in so fast they couldn't get off the water," Anderson said.

Hyde was in the front of the boat and Pimental was in the aft, Anderson said. They came off an idle into a cove to wait out the storm, and stood up to fish, the warden said.

"The operator heard and felt the lightning strike, turned around and saw Pimental fall in the boat," Anderson said. "He tried CPR, and tried CPR again when they got to shore."

The lightning also knocked out the boat's main motor, and Hyde trolled back to shore, Anderson said.

"When you're in the middle of a lake you're the tallest object if you're standing," Anderson said. "You just never know. Get off the water and get protected."

Pimental, single, is the father of three grown children.

Anderson said that Pimental and Hyde were visiting a friend from Massachusetts who owns a camp on the pond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2005, 04:13 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Man thats sucks bad. It happens so quick....f'in terrible

Old 06-14-2005, 04:29 PM

OMG Thats aweful. Our condolences to the families of these men.
You never think something like that can happen to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2005, 10:01 PM

Default RI Guy this weeknd also

We had a guy die because of a freak storm here in RI, he struck sitting on a raised pedestal seat in cove trying to get away from the T-Storm.

Heard of another guy who died this weekend when he fell overboard, his best friend was arrested for drinking and boating. I don't know the details but I think they were out fishing and bumped a bridge or something.

I try to stay away from bad weather the best I can.
Triple Scan and Weather Alert Scan Radios are awesome.