Another first boat question - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boating Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boating Beginners Beginner Boating Questions and Answers

Old 09-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Official Member

Default Another first boat question

Hello everyone,

My first boat is a 19 foot Scout Bayboat. I bought it because I initially thought that it could double function as a lake or river bass boat, and an occassional bay boat (as the name implies). However, everyone that I have talked to have cautioned me about taking out to the Chesapeake Bay (only on good days they suggested, but I don't know what those parameters are either.) I really like the boat but a little bummed with that bit of news.

Any opinions or clarifications on this matter would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Another first boat question

Your ability to use the boat depends on the conditions on a given day. I have a 17' skiff that I use on the bay fishing south of Tangier Island as well as in Tangier and Pocomoke Sounds and the Big Annemessex River. There are some days that I stay away because I know it will be uncomfortable - or even dangerous. I have been in genuine three footers and not had any worries. On the other hand, there have been days I was on the bigger boat in genuine five footers that would have scared me in the little boat.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Official Member

Hey man, about four years back I bought a brand new seadoo 18 foot bow rider jet boat. Fully loaded and shiny and only $300 a month. If figured, why would I buy a used boat when I could have this. I also figure it would be good for my wife and young kids. I like to fish, she likes to wake board. I told the dealer I'd be using it in the Long Island Sound. He didn't say a word. As soon as I got it to the marina everyone said, "hey that's a lake boat." I paid no mind and kept going out fishing. It always happened to be early calm mornings. Finally, I went out in the afternoon with a friend who had a little more experience. I asked him, " why does everyone call this a wake boat?" He said "see that 2 foot wake coming at us, slow down and let your bow drop." Boom, 18 inches of water in the boat right over the bow. If my kids were in it they would have had heart attacks and never came out again. The bilge pump did it's thing but I was done. I sold it, lost $9k and three years late bought am 1990 well craft cc180. deep V, for $1800 and rebuilt yamaha 115 for $3500. I am so happy. I'm telling you this to let you know this happens all the time. It is hard to get good advice,and most people are to proud to tell you the faults of there boats or mistakes they have made. Dealers are even worst.You know what your boat can do, just stick to that and be cautious. It will give you a better respect of the water, and make you a better boater if you do upgrade. I will say this, the two years i spent fishing from land and watching all the boats go by, made me miss that lake boat like hell. Don't beat your self up and enjoy what you have until you are ready move up without taking such a financial beating.
best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Wellcraft V20 w/ 150HP OceanRunner

The Wellcraft is the perfect boat for what you want to do (I am a little partial, lol). Sorry you had to take the loss on the first one. But, you have to realize by now what BOAT stands for...lol. Welcome to the Wellcraft Family!