2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here) - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Delaware River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Delaware River A Forum for The Delaware River guys.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Official Member

Default Re: 2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here)

I got a 16lber on a pencil Sunday afternoon in trenton on the kayak. Ill post the pic later tonite. Cant do it from my phone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Official Member

Hello fellow fishermen im new to fishing the delaware river. New to fishing form a boat too. I went out last weekend and unfortunately found out the i was undertackeled and had no blood worms which i guess is the bait of choice. Anyway i went out from under the comm barry bridge and was scouting around but i didnt have a fish/depth finder so it was tough. Needless to say i didnt catch anything. I was hopein maybe someone could point me in the right direction. Im gonna try this saturday again with new toys and the right bait so any help would be great. Thanks
Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

To all newbie big D and striper fisherman with boats, I am willing to Jump abord and show u a few pointers and even share spots I fish with u. Jus send me a personal message and many we can link up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 12:44 AM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Jus got a reliable report tht spawning may have begun. Good friend of mine said he saw bass on top when the sun was going down said looked like 3 fish and one bigger one.
Bass feed and only stop right at the spawn 3-4 days but I have not heard of any migratory fish being caught yet temps actually indicate tht big bass should be around and moving onto spawning areas even looking at my logs 54 and I had keepers it's up to 54-55 they should be around.
I have heard they r getting shad up north and some of the first waves of bass usually come with the shad then the next waves with the herring. I'm not hearing anything about herring showing up yet, has anyone else? I'm going to check out the creek Tomm maybe and see if there is shad or herring swimming around at the falls, again my logs show herring&shad at the falls at 55 skipjack later. It's suprising to me we r not hearin more on big fish in the river. Maybe with the higher population of 2011 class fish around the bigger fish r not willing to compete for the offerings and are avoiding all areas where there is a high population of smaller bass? This could very well be happening too. Big bass are notoriously known to avoid smaller bass. Or maybe te river is heating up to fast and the bass r waiting for temps to stabilize a bit first before making a major push north. Idk jus casting out thoughts. I won't be on the river til thurs hooefully things get bumped up a notch and we all catch blitzes
Old 03-21-2012, 12:52 AM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Job View Post
Well better late than never!! I am hoping to head out of Darby creek on sunday. My first time out for Stripers, for my pop and I. Any suggestions for fishing out around little tinicum island?? I have blood worms! And hope to do well.
Gravy
Grab a chart of the area fish the points of flats humps points of fingers areas of shallow water adjacent to deeper water. Good luck let's us know how u do. Ur in a good area from wht I've heard in the past. Fishfinders and high low rigs read my above threads I've found fish from 13-34 ft of water most smaller fish have been in 13-15 ft range.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:20 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the advice!! Will do.... I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Gravy
Old 03-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Striper Hunter

looks like saturday will be the nicer day of the weekend. we will be out a little earlier this weekend, working the bloods and clams for all we can.

Anyway Mu i have to agree with and confirm everything you said in your last post.

All the big fish i caught has been when there is a lowl in the small fish action.

Usally on the worst weather days, cloudy, over cast, light rain. i guess the bigger fish are more at ease in the shallow water when there is little sun.

Most other boats anchor up by the island.

Will only use bloods until the perch move in, after that we have a ball with plugs around the area bridges.

then when the water reaches 60 degrees we wish them well for another year and move on to small mouth fishing.

So if anyone has question about MU, his post, or his information i have to say from my experience he is dead on.

Last edited by JakeF; 03-22-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: .
Old 03-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Tks for the kind words.... But u shouldn't stop at 60 the spawn continues til 65 and 68-70 is when the push back out has happened in last 5 years. I'm
Hitting the river before sunup til about 1pm. I'll be down on by pensauken flats.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Striper Hunter

your welcome MU, its tough on the wife when we leave off the blood worms and we do get excited about the smallies up north. they are a blast. so by May were ready for a change of pace anyway. Like i said though we save plugging for stripers around the bridges for the end of our day, its usally a blast.

I have fished the flats more then a few times, got a few good ones here and there its just hard for me to pass up my spot, i got a 42" and a couple of 30" bulls last year and a 36" the year before.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Oh no doubt that is a great spot but I have several spots tht produce even better at certain times.
And I heard the smallie action is great but I'm addicted to Stripers and I chase them all year don't really target any other fish. One of these years when I have enough money I'm taking a Stripers trip for a year and jus gone to follow them from north to south an back again an them try get a book published about it. Won't be for another 3 years but it's gone to happen.

I do want to try smallies again haven't done it since I was a kid up past flat rock damn. Maybe this year.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Striper Hunter

Do you think i will have better chances at *** than *** i had good results behind the *** last year but i just started going to cbb this year been out twice and only 2 cats lol but it was nice out there

Last edited by JakeF; 03-23-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Knock off the spot burning. DO NOT post specific locations here on the public forum. Share those through PM. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Striper Hunter

@ Banksbully what is the *** ? I am new at this?

Last edited by JakeF; 03-23-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: .
Old 03-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Job View Post
@ Banksbully what is the cbb? I am new at this?
its the **** its nice spot you can take the kids and the grill and have fun catching fis im new to that spot though only 2 catfish so far but nice view i enjoy the scene i just caught me 1 5.5lb and 1 6lb large mouth bass st pattys day honestly i love largemouth bass fishing the best more skill in it but i love stripers for the fight if anybody knows any good spots to catch largemouth please let me know asap

Last edited by JakeF; 03-23-2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: .
Old 03-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks.... For info!!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Same results as before fish r not getting any bigger yet. And I did also witness spawn activities this morning so they gota be around. Back out again sat&sun.