2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here) - Page 21 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Delaware River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Delaware River A Forum for The Delaware River guys.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Official Member

Default Re: 2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here)

Just got back from a little kayak fishing in slow water above Lambertville. There were lots of smallies and small stripers feeding on the surface. Caught one small striper on a spook in eight feet of water as the sun set. Guys anchored up nearby caught a few large cats on chunks of sucker. As the water temp warms up the topwater action should get better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

I have not heard much in the way of Stripers up north(nin tidal) dont mean they didnt get up there but This year with herring off the table I don't think many guys r heading up tht way most reports for tht area coming from locals. And it's been a mixed bag all season from wht I've heard. As far as Easton is concerned I again havent heard much others may be able to chime in but it just doesn't seem tht this year the bass pushed tht far north prob due to the water temps. No cool water run off this year because of mild winter prob kept them further south this year. Jus my guess as I don't have many reports for tht area to go by but Thts wht I would figure with or without reports from up there.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Striper Hunter

hey all. I wanted to bring my kids out this weekend and pursue perch. Any suggestions for location and teqniques between trenton and burlington in a boat? Thanks for any responses i never pursue em and the kids have a short attention span, i figure fast action would keep em interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Striper Hunter

Palmyra cove is a great spot for perch. some pretty large ones also
Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montauk View Post
hey all. I wanted to bring my kids out this weekend and pursue perch. Any suggestions for location and teqniques between trenton and burlington in a boat? Thanks for any responses i never pursue em and the kids have a short attention span, i figure fast action would keep em interested.
Jus grab some night crawlers and small hooks anywhere on the river should be a good spot with tht bait for small fish
Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Weekly fishin report from Brinkmans bait and tackle shop:

Well the weather was much better but the fishing just sucked. Helen and myself hit the river a bit later this week waiting for the tide to change. We hit it perfect and fished for about 6 hours. Over the day we caught 6 stripers 4 to 14 inches, 5 catfish 1 to 4 pounds, 6 white perch and a eel. And this was not for an effort. WE must have moved 10 times from the Rancocas down below the Tacony Bridge. Just could not find a decent fish. Wednesday I got out myself since it was raining, cold and damp. I hit my two best spots and fished for 3 hours. I caught one catfish about 2 pounds and that was it. This just was not my week. Will give it another shot next week but I will only have one day off. May try and golf in the morning and hit the river late in the day. Now my luck is not how the river has been for most guys. Now there are no big numbers of fish being caught but still some real big fish are being caught. Jim was in a couple of my honey holes and caught one big fish out of each. He had one fish 43 inches and another one just hitting the 40 inch mark. He caught these fish with fresh bunker. Now in both spots these were the only 2 fish caught and the only 2 hits he had. One other fisherman fishing just above the Tacony bridge picked up a 48 inch fish that was in the mid 50 pound range with a bunker tail. JR has been out several time not doing much so he was heading to Trenton this weekend looking for some fish throwing lures. I had one other customer fishing in front of Maggie's catching one fish 43 inches on a fresh clam and last night he picked up a 39 inch fish with a chunk of bunker. He has also caught a few smaller fish. Up Station Avenue there were a few smaller fish caught with a bunch of catfish. Most these guys have been fishing clams and bunker. Camer Drive has also been fair with a few slot fish caught and one decent 37 inch fish caught with bunker. These guys are also doing well with catfish and white perch. Up off the Neshaminy state park there were lots of smaller stripers and catfish caught this week with bunker, clams, herring and bloodworms. Here they seemed to catch several slot fish. One fisherman had a great day at the Burlington Bristol Bridge. He walked in and fished all day without being chased. He fished clams and bunker and landed 4 slot fish 22 to 24 inches, 1 fish 34 and another 37 inches with lots of throw backs, catfish and white perch. I have talked to several guys fishing at the turnpike bridge up to Buoy 80 and these guys are saying the fishing has been real slow. They are saying the river up here is just full of herring. Now off Princeton Avenue and off the Northern Metal pier there have been some decent stripers with lots of catfish, perch and eels. These guys have done best with bunker and bloodworms. At the airport they are doing well on smaller stripers with a few slot fish to keep most guys interested. But what they have been doing great on have been big white perch. These guys have been doing best with bloodworms. Off National Park there were a few bigger stripers caught over the weekend but all week long the fishing has been slow. The weekend fish were a 38 and 41 inch fish caught on bloodworms and chunked eel. Paul has not been getting out much himself but his buddies have said the striper fishing has been very slow for bigger fish but plenty of fish 12 to 22 inches. Also tons of white perch and big catfish are being caught on bloodworms and bunker. Down at Salem these guys have been catching lots of nice white perch and stripers with bloodworms, nightcrawlers and chicken livers. The stripers are closed here. Just had another customer tell me about a 51 inch fish he caught fishing out of Bridesburg. He caught this fish with bunker.
The upper Delaware has been a real mixed bag. The shad fishing has been slow in the lower river from Trenton up to the Water Gap. Mike had a fair day at Bull's Island during the week catching fish with shad spoons. One other fisherman at Lamberville had a pretty good day landing 6 fish also with spoon. Up at the Water Gap there have been a few fisherman catching 10 to 15 fish a night with spoons and small dart. Here the water level is up a bit which has spread the shad out a bit. Narrowsburg a few guys were up on Saturday landing a bunch of shad and smallmouth bass. These guys fished minnows and grubs for the bass trolling small darts for the shad. Bill was up to Callicoon fishing the upper part landing 19 shad on Saturday and another 15 on Sunday. All these fish were caught between 5 at night till dark. Spoons and small darts have been working the best. Other than shad most guys have been smallmouth bass fishing the river. Tom was in at Stockton landing over 50 fish this past week. He was out several different days. He did best with Rapala's, grubs, tubes and spinners. He also caught 3 walleyes over 18 inches. Charlie found the river very good at Point Pleasant. He worked minnows, nightcrawlers, grubs and plastic worms to landed 9 smallies, 2 walleyes, 1 musky and 2 catfish. The bass were all 12 to 15 inches and the musky was 23 inches. A few guys fishing off the New Hope wing dam picked up lots of smaller bass with minnows and jigs. They caught most all these fish below the dam on the New Jersey side. Now at Lamberville one fisherman is still doing great with stripers. He has been dead sticking eels up in the rocks above the 202 bridge. This past week he caught 6 stripers 31 to 37 inches. While waiting for the striper bite he works grubs, tubes, top water lures and shallow crankbaits. Mixed in he also caught 5 smallmouth bass up to 17 inches.
Trout have still been hot at the Pennypack Creek. Most guys have been doing best with wax worms, meal worms, earthworms, power baits, Berkley power worms, spinners and salted minnows. Fly fisherman are now starting to hit the creek and have been doing very good with bead head, cone heads, wooly buggers, dry flies and nymphs. Most guys have still been doing good at Rhawn Street, Roosevelt Boulevard, Woodward Avenue, Veree Road, Pine Road and Lemur Park. Some of the biggest fish are coming from Lemur Park with the stocking from Trout Unlimited for the tournament last weekend. I have seen some pictures of fish 18 to 24 inches. The rest of the creek most guys have been catching fish 13 to 17 inches. Most of the fish have been rainbows. Core Creek has still been just fair for trout but the panfish are still hitting in pretty good numbers. Minnows, wax worms and meal worms have been working best. There are a few bass fisherman doing fair with spinner baits and plastic worms. One fisherman had a good day with carp in the lower end of the lake. He was fishing corn and pips. He landed 5 fish up to 8 pounds. He also last several other fish. Jim has been hitting Levittown Lake for trout and Fall's Township for bass this past week. He was at Levittown Lake 3 morning landing 19 trout, 25 bluegills and a nice largemouth bass. Power bait, wax worms and spoons have been working best. In Fall's Township he picked up 6 largemouth bass, 9 crappies and 14 bluegills fishing 4 inch purple power worms. He also said there are several guys doing well on smaller crappies, perch and bluegills fishing with minnows, meal worms and jigs. John had another real good day on largemouth bass fishing Noxamixion. He picked most of these fish up with plastic worms and lizards, spinner baits and crankbaits. Most of the fish were 12 to 16 inches. He had several big schools of baitfish breaking water with stripers under them. So on Sunday he spent most of the day working the main lake with crankbaits, rattle traps and top water lures only to catch one pickerel. He did see a picture of a hybrid striper caught the week before 31 inches 17 pounds caught on a Cordell Boy Howdie. This fisherman was out looking for either smallmouth or largemouth bass. With that striper he also caught a bunch of pickerel. A few guys have been down the Fish Hatchery doing pretty good with bass, carp and catfish. They are working on the upper ponds and when they drained them they took all the fish and put them in the back 2 ponds. They have been doing best with nightcrawlers, minnows, corn, poppers and plastic worms. The pond back at Eden Hall has started to pick up again. This was a great little lake back in the day but someone poisoned the water killing all the fish. But the past year they have started to catch come bluegills, bass and catfish again. Minnows and nightcrawlers have been working the best. Lots of nice catfish are hitting in the lower Schuylkill River. These guys are doing well on channels as well as flat heads. Most of the channels have been up to 8 pounds with most of the flat head ranging 12 to 18 pounds. Chunked bluegills have been working best but I had one fisherman do real well on fresh bunker. Ron himself did not get out this past week but did talk to his buddies that were up smallmouth fishing at Gladwyn in the Schuylkill river. They said the river is the right level and the fish have been hitting minnows, shiners, grubs and crayfish. These guys have also been fishing the mouth of the Wissahickon Creek doing quite well on bass and trout. Some of these trout have come down the creek and have been hitting minnows and nightcrawlers. The bass again have been biting on minnows and grubs.
Flounder season opens this coming Saturday. With all the stripers still around I'm not sure how many guys will be out looking for their first flounder. Most all the boats up north are going to stick to striper fishing. These boats have been crushing stripers 28 to 45 inches. I have talked to some guys coming home with 2 30 + pound fish. Big spoons, diamond jigs have been working the best on the head boats. The smaller boats are fishing the same way but have also been bait fishing with bunker and clams and also trolling bunker spoons and umbrella rigs. The Raitian Bay has also been hot with clams, bunker and shad bodies. These guys have been catching lots of fish 24 to 36 inches. Anthony was up late last week fishing with old clams and shad bodies boating 21 bass. He had 9 fish legal and the rest were down to 20 inches. He was fishing in 10 to 15 feet of water which was holding smaller fish. Most of the bigger boats were out in deeper water landing some bigger fish. Down the coast at Brick there were a few nice bass caught off the beach. These guys landed 2 striper 29 and 31 inches. They also caught 3 bluefish 3 to 4 pounds. These fish were all caught on chunk bunker and live eels. A nice striper was caught off Long Beach Island on Monday. This fisherman was there over the whole weekend without a single hit. On Monday his first cast landed him a 36 inch 19 pound striper. Later in the day he caught 2 more bass but both were under sized. Out of Barnegat Inlet there have been several nice stripers caught off shore. These guys have all been using diamond jigs. On the return trips the guys have been hitting the jetties doing well on blackfish. Fred took his last trip off shore for the time with flounder season opening this weekend. The last trip he was out 12 miles and caught plenty of nice sea bass, blackfish and even had a few smaller ling. He caught all these fish with clams and jigs. He has also been doing well on the inshore wreaks for blackfish. Once flounder opens he will be fishing the inlets and back bays. Down off Cape May there have been lots of guys out looking for stripers. The only place they have been doing fair has been the Cape May rips. Here they have been catching fish 24 to 36 inches. Most of these fish have been caught with clams, bunker, eels, jigs and shad bodies. Up the bay is usually hot but has been quite slow this past year. They are still catching some big fish but far and few between. Also lots of guys are looking for the drumfish to show up but so far nothing. The two better beaches in the Delaware Bay have been dead the past couple weeks. Bruce picked minnows up this week and talked to the guys at Dividing Creek. The boats here have been catching a half a bushel of crabs each trip out.
Well that is all I have time for this week. I hope everyone has a great weekend. And please if you do any good please let us know, the fishing reports are coming from the same 10 guys.
Bill
Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Striper Hunter

thanks guys i will let you know how hey make out.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Striper Hunter

Can I do anything with a 14 inch sucker fish? cut bait? is it any good?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Vinceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by akalt View Post
Have the strippers reached the Easton area of PA?
yeah, theres plenty of strippers in the easton area hahaha
Old 05-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Vinceman

been out twice by belvidere, getting tons of shad, and some trout. I park my boat before the rapids by del hallow. So far theres no sign of stripers in the Delaware. went out on a charter boat near sandy hook (Dorothy B is a great party boat) 3 keepers were caught, but there in NJ, and theres rumors of alot of striper at bulls island on the delawere. but there coming good luck
Old 05-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Vinceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoleOfGold View Post
Can I do anything with a 14 inch sucker fish? cut bait? is it any good?
good cat bait(cut), or whole for musky/ possible striper
Old 05-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceman444 View Post
good cat bait(cut), or whole for musky/ possible striper
Hes already dead and in the fridge lol. I havent heard of a muskie in the palmyra cove area in foever
Old 05-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Striper Hunter

I got a 36" tiger musky out of the river, forever ago 1990 i think but that was at burlington city.

Anyway the wife and i are heading out again this morning, thinking about heading down to the talcony bridge area first then back up to rancocus. we are due for a good day, hopefully the clouds help. I will be on channel 9. I'd rather be fishing!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 09:33 PM
chemteacher

Anyone do well today? We fished from 10am-2pm on the Marcus Hook Bar near Oldmans Creek. Several 8-10lb cats and 3 large eels.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Striper Hunter

we fished from 7 - 2 caught a bunch of babies and perch. wife got one 24" on clam and a bunch of eels. we didnt even catch any under the bridges. tough day all around.