2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here) - Page 16 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Delaware River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Delaware River A Forum for The Delaware River guys.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:46 AM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Default Re: 2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by montauk View Post
has anyone tried the powerbait shad lures? 3 bucks at walmart for four pack. Figured i would buy em.
Lol nah I actually never heard of them but I would only throw lures tht are at least 5" up to 10". Let me know how they do. Let me know how true they run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Striper Hunter

the pack i picked up are 4". They have the weight and hook buult into it. It looks great in the water and they cast a mile. The tail has so mucn action compared to a crank bait, buck tail or fins that it looks igger than these lures in the water. The kind i bought has a half circle tail not the h tail which is simmilar to the fins. It looks similar to the storm shads which come in the larger sizes but cost less than the storm shads. Did not catch anything with it by bulls island saturday but i was fishing with my kids ad they wanted to go swimming so that was that. I cant imagine theim not producing considering the success i had with the storm shads. They do however get destroyed by blues but not a concern in the del.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Haven't seen many reports on here but talking to a few friends seem like things went on a lull last couple days and with these rain (first good ones of spring) it will almost be promised tht bass will be on spawn as the currents pick up. Last day of work no more 6 day weeks and doubles I will be on the water Tomm all day so I'll have something then. Looks like perfect big bass weather to me air presure an river flow are looking really good. Moon stage ah well I'm not totally done messin with tht and til I find a true pattern its up in te air as to if it matters on the river like it does in bays and beaches. I have noticed tht the first major movement of bass irreguardless of water temps didn't happen til a few days before the 4th full moon of calendar year. Now weather the actual act of spawn is triggered by a new moon or next full I still have work to do but what I've found so far is even with the higher than average water temps bass didn't move in nunbers until 5-10 days before the actual full and at this time each of the past 6 years temps actually stabalized throughout the river( to be continued)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Striper Hunter

That's great info mu....keep it up comming.I look forward to your reports.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu fish View Post
Haven't seen many reports on here but talking to a few friends seem like things went on a lull last couple days and with these rain (first good ones of spring) it will almost be promised tht bass will be on spawn as the currents pick up. Last day of work no more 6 day weeks and doubles I will be on the water Tomm all day so I'll have something then. Looks like perfect big bass weather to me air presure an river flow are looking really good. Moon stage ah well I'm not totally done messin with tht and til I find a true pattern its up in te air as to if it matters on the river like it does in bays and beaches. I have noticed tht the first major movement of bass irreguardless of water temps didn't happen til a few days before the 4th full moon of calendar year. Now weather the actual act of spawn is triggered by a new moon or next full I still have work to do but what I've found so far is even with the higher than average water temps bass didn't move in nunbers until 5-10 days before the actual full and at this time each of the past 6 years temps actually stabalized throughout the river( to be continued)
Thanks Bud... This is an amazing piece of info... Your truly the most deticated fisherman I have ever met!! Many thanks for sharing! I have been out quite a bit and it helps.... Those days I am out there and I know they should be there and nothing, or lots of little Stripers hitting and a few 24-28 inchers caught, but no monsters. Keep it up!
Old 04-23-2012, 04:32 AM
Striper Hunter

Saturday was deffinately the worst day yet, water temp 61+ degrees and clear skys. i tried all depth ranges with three diiferent baits. May try one more weekend but if the water temp holds over 60 i will be heading north to small mouth country.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Striper Hunter

saturday was slow for me at bulls island, fisning for stripes and smallies but the shad were being all over
Old 04-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Striper Hunter

Saturday wasnt a good day for me either. 2 stripers both 23" at palmyra cove, plenty of cats to keep me busy though. I seem to have a problem hooking up with the stripers. Im getting tons of hits but not tons of fish im using a 3/O gamakatsu any ideas?
Old 04-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Striper Hunter

I've also been noticing a lot of smaller stripers 7-18 inches patrolling the shore line maybe 10-15 ft out.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Striper Hunter

Hey Rob, I love the pic. You have a coffee maker on that to lol.
Catch em up.

John
Old 04-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
Hey Rob, I love the pic. You have a coffee maker on that to lol.
Catch em up.

John
LOL, no but I wish I had a striper attached to one of the rods!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Striper Hunter

sole of gold i do not think i would move to a smaller hook. You may want to try a larger live bait, although that may not do you any good. I fish north of you in the rapids and when i come across a school of smaller sized xtripers i will stick with it for 15 minutes or so to see if i can pull out a larger bass. If not i move to the next current break. Typically i will catcn a larger bass in the break a d smaller ones will move in to the vacated hole. So my suggestion to you would be to reposition and see if you ca locate the larger game you are pursuing. Choice two bring a kid along they will have blast with tne smaller fish. If you keep catching small fish try chicken liver in stockings its like candy and you wont find a bass that will steal this from your hook, plus much cheaper than alot of baits.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Monday fishing report: got out late around 1:30 fished til 8pm. Had a blast in the ruff stuff and it actually wasn't to bad out. Within first hour had 4 fish between 29"-35" then had a lul of nothing bit cats for 2 hours some really nice ones too one was 37" prob 12-15 pounds. Once the tide began to ebb this got hot and hot fast. Had one fish on several times and other rods would start going off. Had several double headers only I'm fishing alone so I went 2 for 5 on double headers. Only moved 3 times and the third move actually was back to first spot. Finished the day with somewhere between 13-15 bass lost count. Not a bass under 28". All bass were hung in 27-35 ft water bunker chunks did well live chubs did the best and clams took cats while only giving up 2 bass. Salt herring caught 2 bass as well. Bunker chunks on high low rig cleaned up this day. And eel chunk caught one. Drifting eel after dark didn't produce this day. Also ha caught 2 eels tht were prob 8-10 pounds truly huge eels one screamed off the bait runner and took a bunker chunk. Then he got chunked lol. Marked alot of fish suspended if it wasnt so ruff I woulda trolled or threw lures at them. All in all great day still going strong.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Montauk had it right I personally only use 8/0 offset circles on the river maybe 7/0 but nothing smaller than tht. Big bass had bigger mouth and tougher jaw bones need tht bigger hook or good chance of missing hook ups.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Monday report: went out for 3 hours thus morning looking for some slots fish. Threw buck tails and koppers live blueback herring. Didn't manage any slots but bunker chunked 3 bass 33"-35" and several cats. Pop got the biggest one this day 37" right around 30lbs. On salt herring again! 27 ft water was the depth today tried 15-23ft early but nothing. Trolled stretch 25's for 30minutes but nothing. Allfish caught in last 2 days have all spawned out an all have had beet up looking fish must been alot of ruff sex going on this past week lol