Got a big fish jigging the other day - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Chesapeake Bay
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Chesapeake Bay A sub-forum for the Chesapeake Bay and all its tributaries Rockfish Rocks.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Default Got a big fish jigging the other day

I've been doing pretty good in the last couple weeks in the upper bay, but most of the fish have been between 20" & 30". So I was pleasantly surprised when I hooked up with this fish. I started the evening out trolling for a couple hours but didn't catch anything, so I decided to target some of the smaller fish with light tackle jigging. I started my drift over a shallow lump and noticed a blob on the screen, I thought it was probally a small school of small fish, I dropped my swim bait and bounced it off the bottom, and just a couple seconds later I felt a tug, at first I thought it was a snag but then I felt a head shake, I then thought it was a big catfish because it was jerking its head back and forth the way they do, once I got it to the surface I saw it was a Rockfish, then it took off and started peeling drag, the next time I got it up to the boat, I got it in the net. It measured out at 42". I actually caught smaller fish on almost every cast in the mid 20" range for the rest of the evening. One of my best trips of the year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Got a big fish jigging the other day

Nice fish!!! What exactly did you use if you don't mind me asking?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:08 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I don't know what the name of the lure is, I bought a few of them at the fishing fleamarket at Kent narrows last winter.The thing I liked the most about the lures was that they are cupped on the bottom of the lead head, I thought they may flutter more as they dropped while jigging. heres a pic of one of them, the one I used was about 4". It was actually one of my least favorite lures, the spot I was fishing had a lot of snags, so I usually use the lures that I don't mind losing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Official Member

interesting, never seen one like that before. You just drift with it or do you cast and reel?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:51 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Usually I like to jig it off the bottom, when I caught the big fish I saw it on the screen, so I just casted behind the boat a little ,let it fall to the bottom, then I pop it off the bottom and let it fall back to the bottom again. most of the fish I've been seeing on the screen lately have been tight to the bottom..The fish usually hit it on the fall, that fish hit it the very first time I popped it off the bottom...sometimes I will cast out a swimbait and just put the rod in the rodholder (dead sticking) while I jig with another rod, dead sticking a lure sometimne work really good, especially if your drifting fast or its rough out
Old 12-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Official Member

I am in the area for a navy school and was wondering if I could pay to go out with you sometime. I have caught them like you do on large lakes in Texas. Or if you want to come to Hawaii I can take you out for ahi and marlin.
Thanks
Ryan
Old 12-05-2011, 06:03 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan96734 View Post
I am in the area for a navy school and was wondering if I could pay to go out with you sometime. I have caught them like you do on large lakes in Texas. Or if you want to come to Hawaii I can take you out for ahi and marlin.
Thanks
Ryan
Hey Ryan, I noticed on your other post that you are in Norfolk, thats far away from me, Im near Baltimore, because of the cooling tempertures, the fishing up this way is slowing down, but the fishing is getting good near Norfolk. there may be some charters around there that may take walk ons. I know four seasons charters is fishing the chesapeake bay bridge tunnel and they have been looking for walk ons. He does light tackle jigging. you could give him a call (pete) heres his #703-395-9955.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Official Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:36 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

You should definately do some fishing while your there, there is some good Striper fishing at the Bridge this time of year..I may be willing to drive down there and split a charter with you if you get a light tackle guide
Heres a few from aroud there.
http://gofishbaltimore.com/
http://www.matty-j.com/
http://www.bayflyfishing.com/