striper fall run not so good - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boating Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boating Beginners Beginner Boating Questions and Answers

Old 10-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Official Member

Default striper fall run not so good

looking for anyone in ct or elsewhere for advice how to catch stripers when there is no bait around and cant go out on a boat types of lures and any other info would be great thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 07:43 AM

Default Re: striper fall run not so good

In the absence of noticeable quantities of bait, I always focus on structure where I think striped bass might be lying in wait for an easy passing meal, mussle beds, rocky areas where they may be hunting lobster & crabs, etc. There's usually some kind of forage around, even if you can't see it.

Bucktail jigs with an Uncle Josh rind or curly tail grub are great for working the lower part of the water column. Throw in a couple top water lures like Redfins and poppers and you have a decent chance of getting their attention
Old 10-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

any new boater who's leary of venturing out to deep water at night is not a failure or punk but has to learn to be confident and safe. you must fish at night.
if you cannot find live eels then catch them yourself.'
don't go venturing out blind... find where you'd find eels and you'll find bass. nine inch slug-go's on a jig and or hogy's and other jigs are also a must as well as swimming plugs and needles. there are always delapidated wood pilings in and around the beaches and inlets as well as eel grass in small pockets, fish hide behind these pilings for two reasons. one is to avoid fighting current and two, looking for eels to swim by or around so as to ambush. this time of year it is a given that they will be at these locations on a regular basis at night. most guys will drive way out into deep water and fish as that's where they are in the places they frequent most. but for the guy who's limited in mobility or frozen in fear? inshore fishing is hard but doable. stealth and tact become paramount. luring a fish out of it's lair or safety is hard and takes some time to work. if your noisy/clumsy/need lights/don't take smell into account when using plugs and jigs/ you can kiss your chances goodbye. chuck a jig or eel under the piling and allow it to fall next to and allow line out when doing so as the jig will just cantilever back towards you and not reach the strike zone. work a pier or set of pilings and see what happens. most big fish will hunt at three to five o'clock in the morning. don't go fishing for small potato's in the daytime. it's not real bass fishing. make your last efforts of the season count. you may also throw bunker heads in these areas. but big swimming plugs and eels will be what works best.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Striper Hunter

Back in the 90's when I started to fish I worked the bay areas close to my dock. I have a small bridge close to my house I worked that area day and night till I knew when and where those fish were and when the bite is on. I also started working the Moriches Bay Areas mostly 8' or less of water.
1oz or 1.5oz White Bucktail was my best friend with red uncle Josh trailer. Also Diamond Jigs 007's with White or green tubes.
I found that at certian parts of my bay at certain tides the fish were there for the taken.
Here's a MUST do. Write every thing down Including FAILURES NO FISH days and you will see a pattern that will develop over time. Why write down your failures so you don't repete them...
Find out who's catching in your area try and find out what he's catching with? Is it live bait that usually works or is it some type of lure, top water plug, buck tail, storm shad what ever and try that.
There's no substutie for putting your time in
everyone strikes out sooner or later
you have to keep going back
sometimes I feel like Charlie Brown
the next day I'm nailing a 30 lbs in the same spot ???
Just keep trying