Stripers Forever - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 05-07-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Stripers Forever

I met this organization at the RI Expo...and I think that what they are trying to do should be very important to all of us!!!

They are try to make the Striped Bass a gamefish and stop commercial fishing....

http://www.stripersforever.org/Home/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2005, 07:28 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Making stripers a gamefish is a nice thought, It really wouldn,t matter to me because I don,t like eating fish anyway, I just like catching them. But, I dought if that would ever happen, theres just too much economics involved. plus, I would worry that they may become to overpopulated. In the upper chesapeake, stripers are the most populated fish. there was a time when you could catch a varity of fish (croaker, trout, large blues,ect...). but now, its mostly all stripers, the large stripers don,t even stay in the bay anymore, they come into spawn in the spring, then go back out into the ocean. theres just no forage for them anymore. I honestly beleive the bay is becoming imbalanced. I think, the last thing we need is more stripers, we need more different species. I wish (some) conservative organizations would work as hard on restoring the fish that are truely indangered, as they do for stripers..before the moritorium, no one cared about how many rock there were, then it crashed. today it seems like everyone only cares about the rock and ignores most of the other species...I know alot of people don,t share my view, but thats what I beleive
Old 05-07-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Good org

That is a good org and will really have no effect on the normal angler, you would still be able to keep bass to eat. I agree with you though there is such a need for other fisheries, take a look at the winter flounder for an example. When I was a kid we use to be able to head down the water and get a few for the table, no hardly anyone even tries for winter flounder because their stocks are so low. The whole thing is out of wack, look at the seal population, Tautog bag limit of 10 per day... who needs 10 fish per fisherman per day? Weakfish, yes they are starting to come back a little but still very very scarce and few and far between. The herring stocks are in terrible shape and many say this has to do with all the need for fish oils. The ells are in bad shape because of all the offshore commercial out country boats that wipe them out on their way back to the rivers... It starts with us the fisherman and educating others we see who have the lack of knowledge or common sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2005, 11:58 PM

I understand and agree with both of you guys...but I still think the harvest of Stripers in unecesary and wastefull...
I personally would like to prevent the decline of Stripers...by no means are we back to the days where you can go out and catch a couple of 40's in a trip...
I also think that protection of other species is imporant too...I would also like to see the Flounder make a come back...

As the for the Stripers, I trully think that the fish that we all love should be made a gamefish...I don't think we are at the point yet where we can relax about Striper populations...
Making the Striper can only benefit the recreational fishing community...and ensure they will be around for generations to some...

"Just my 2cents..."
Old 05-08-2005, 06:13 AM

Thought I would add my two cents worth. I've been fishing stripers for 25 yrs now. Back then there were few fisherman along the bay [Nova Scotia, Bay of Fundy], you could catchmaybe 2-5 fish anywhere from 12- 20 inches with the odd big one now and then. In the last 10 yrs the amount of fishermen has increased 20 times over. We catch stripers as little as 4-5 inches, which we never caught before, there is alot more stripers now, it is common to land 20 fish 10-16 inches in a couple of hrs. More 30+ fish are being caught. Of course this is due to more anglers. Overall there seems to be more stripers, and they run earlier in the year. 25 yrs ago ,we didn't start fishing till August, but I got one yesterday. Personally it should be a sport fishery and policed more than it is now. I've never personally seen a warden here on the beach, athough they are around once in awhile. Any way that is my 2 cents worth. Dobb
Old 05-08-2005, 08:32 AM

I've been reading similar discussions on different boards. I'm still a bit fuzzy on the subject. So far, the one things that makes a lot of sense to me is protecting baitfish. If there isn't enough forage, populations across the board will drop.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:23 AM

Default gamefish

could they give stripers gamefish status in certain states. our buddy on the chesapeake makes a good point. would gamefish status be a federal thing necesarily?
Old 05-08-2005, 11:07 AM

One of the things I've noticed in my area (new York, Hudson River) On what is the Rundout Creek, up at the falls we all jig for herring. The other nite I counted 5 scap boats with nets that are at least 10' to 12' square netting herring. I certinly jig for these bait fish. I only get what I need. If IM alone 4 to 6, two of us 10 to 12. I do not like waste. I'll even freeze the dead ones for chunking. I think NYS DEC needs to take a look at this ang begin to manage this. I've seen 3 scap boats tied together in one place. I relize these fish are sold to local bait shops and marinas. IM concerned about the future. As I have said I the past, stripers, small and large maouth bass, IM a catch and rease guy. I'll keep them if thier hurt and will die.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:41 PM

Ya for sure...I all for baitfish regulations...
Those herring boats do a tremendous number on the populations...