bluefish and bite offs - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Striper Hunter

Default bluefish and bite offs

Ok I have a question on “bite tippet” issues. I am trying to learn to fish stripers but where I am bluefish are king. I don’t want to keep loosing hooks from bite offs but I also don’t want to use such thick line that nothing will bite (when I am blue fishing I use steal leaders). My main line is 20# Pline then 50# big game shock leader (I don’t need to bounce a sinker of someone’s kid because of a brake off) then I was thinking a smaller diameter tippet from the shock leader to the hook of about 18’ (the sinker and fish finder would be above the knot on the 50” line. If I tied a Bimini twist/loop on the main line side and a Palomar at the terminal end with 20# line ….

1) Would that give me the same rough bite protection of a 40# leader or would a blue just chomp right threw because each line is still only 20# “in diameter”? (I know if the knots are all correct even if one side of the loop brakes the other will hold … for a little while

2) Would having two 20# lines at the terminal end be less visible then one 40# line?

The math all seems to add up in my head but I was interested to hear form experience.
I just mainline bucktails and swim baits on the 20” …. Would a Bimini be of help there too?

much thaks
peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Striper Hunter - Call_me_Ishmael

Default Re: bluefish and bite offs

Use 80# leader, tie to the mainline with an alberto knot. If you are concerned with visibility buy flourocarbon leader material.

You're idea isn't bad just a bit overkill. Imagine trying to rig that up in the middle of a blitz at night with no moon. Remember the simplest solution is usually the correct one.

Quote:
I just mainline bucktails and swim baits on the 20
I would use a shock leader here as well.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 06:41 PM

Try circle hooks with at least 60 pound floro or mono - and give no slack once they are hooked.
9 of 10 large blues were landed using circles and mono. And a few very decent bass in the mix.