Salt water license. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 02-26-2010, 05:45 PM
chuckrudy

Default Salt water license.

I know that I have to have a salt water license to fish the Hudson River my question is do I have to have a license for the fresh water fishing to go along with the salt water license. I thought that i did, but my fishing buddy said that if you are just fishing the Hudson that the salt water license is the only one needed. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 07:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Salt water license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckrudy View Post
I know that I have to have a salt water license to fish the Hudson River my question is do I have to have a license for the fresh water fishing to go along with the salt water license. I thought that i did, but my fishing buddy said that if you are just fishing the Hudson that the salt water license is the only one needed. Thanks for any info.
You have to have BOTH a NYS fishing license AND the special marine permit to fish for stripers, herring and technically white perch in the Hudson.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Official Member

I pulled this from the NYSDEC site...

There's plenty of room for interpretation here....as to who needs a "recreational marine fishing license".

I'm sorry, but I think this is a major rip off to sportsmen.

Who says, or better yet... can prove that I'm fishing for "migratory fish from the sea"......just because I'm out on the river fishing...?

If I'm fishing with plugs or jigs, (no herring) who can say/prove I'm "targeting" migratory fish..?

Who can prove I'm not just fishing for indigenous fish in non-brackish water..?
Marine Fishing License Fees (2009-2010)

Effective October 1, 2009, persons 16 years of age and older fishing in the marine and coastal district or fishing any waters (such as the Hudson River, Delaware River and their tributaries) where the angler is fishing for "migratory fish from the sea" (such as striped bass, American shad, hickory shad, blueback herring, and alewife) need to acquire a recreational marine fishing license.
The marine and coastal district includes all waters of the Atlantic Ocean within three nautical miles from the coast and all other tidal waters within the state, including the Hudson River up to the Governor Malcolm Wilson Tappan Zee Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Reel Deep Thinker!!!

It depends on what you are targeting and I have no idea how they think they can tell what you are fishing for unless of course you have a bait bucket full of herring which would constitute a migratory fish anyways. If you are using only plugs and jigs I would say they can't say your fishing for migratory fish if you say your not.
From the DEC website....
What fishing license do I need to fish in the Hudson River?

Since there is no longer an exemption to the requirement for a license to take fish from the Hudson River south of the Troy Barrier Dam at Troy, anglers will need to have a fishing license when fishing the Hudson River. Depending on the specific location of the Hudson River fishing activities, and the specific species fished for, an angler may need to have a recreational marine fishing license, a freshwater fishing license or both licenses:
  • If you are fishing downstream from the Tappan Zee Bridge, you are considered fishing in the marine and coastal district and will need to have a recreational marine fishing license.
  • If you are fishing upstream from the Tappan Zee Bridge and are fishing for non-migratory fish (such as largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, catfish, carp, walleye, and perch) only, you will need to have a freshwater fishing license.
  • If you are fishing upstream from the Tappan Zee Bridge and are fishing for "migratory fish from the sea" (such as striped bass, American shad, hickory shad, blueback herring, or alewife) only, you need to have a recreational marine fishing license.
  • If you are fishing upstream from the Tappan Zee Bridge and are fishing for migratory fish from the sea and non-migratory fish, you will need a recreational marine fishing license and a freshwater fishing license.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Who says, or better yet... can prove that I'm fishing for "migratory fish from the sea"......
Its your word against theirs. IMO - Its not worth risking them taking your tackle and equipment for $10 bucks.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
Its your word against theirs. IMO - Its not worth risking them taking your tackle and equipment for $10 bucks.

Totally agree, not worth the hassle.

It only $10 bucks, not like ya need to get a 2nd job or anything
Old 03-09-2010, 05:11 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbrian View Post
Totally agree, not worth the hassle.

It only $10 bucks, not like ya need to get a 2nd job or anything
I agree it's not worth the hassle. You start getting smart with them about your license, then they want to see your registration (which must be in the boat at all times!), they'll check for correct number of life vest, they'll check for proper safety equipment, they'll check for alcoholic beverages and heaven help you if you register on a Breathalyzer. Bottom line for me is that it's asinine, but the consequences are far worse than compliance.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Lunker

I got an e-mail from one of my charter captain friends the other day and he said that DEC had changed it to if you are only fishing for "migratory game fish from the sea" then all you really need is the $10.00 recreational marine license. This is good news for him and all the other charter captains as a lot of their customers only fish for stripers and they might not fish at all for the rest of the year. I e-mailed him back as I thought that originally DEC said that both a freshwater fishing license and the rec marine license were needed. He got back to me and did confirm that this just happened last week. Most of us already have our fishing licenses anyway, but the nice thing is if you want to take someone out on your boat for stripers that normally doesn't fish, it's only going to cost them $10.00.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:37 PM

The charter boat Captain is correct but its been that way from the beginning.
The Dec just updated their site to make the proper corrections. There admittedly were mistakes on there.
If the DEC changed anything last week again it would have put out a press release. It did not. The legislature would have had to make it law first before anything the DEC could change.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/54950.html

Also see this thread
Old 03-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Official Member

I am not sure but I believe the license is free this year. Check out this website. Please let me know if this is the same as the recreational marine lisence. It says recreational marine at the top of the page but when you register the receipt they provide says National Saltwater Angler Registry.

https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/

Can't wait for the stripers to arrive, thinking about heading down towards tapanzee bridge with the boat soon. Does anybody here know where the boat ramp might be in that area?
Old 03-15-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishking
I am not sure but I believe the license is free this year. Check out this website. Please let me know if this is the same as the recreational marine lisence. It says recreational marine at the top of the page but when you register the receipt they provide says National Saltwater Angler Registry.

https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/[/color]
Just so no one is confused. The registry is different from a license. And yes - this year the registry is free. That (www.countmyfish.noaa.gov) is the website you would register for the national saltwater registry. MRIP (marine recreational information program)
A state license automatically puts you (the angler) in the registry.

This thread refers to the New York State Saltwater License which you will need if you are fishing in the marine district below the Tappan Zee bridge. Above the bridge if you fish for migratory species (striped bass) you need to have a marine registry card from the NOAA.
You would also need a freshwater NY state license if you are targetting non migratory species.

I know its confusing but everyone needs to be clear.