Newbie from Long Island, NY - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New York
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New York New York Bight - Raritan Bay - North and South Shore - Eastern Long Island -Captree - Shinnecock - Moriches - Montauk - Jamaica Bay - Staten Island - Western Sound - Long Island Sound The Hudson River

Old 01-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Official Member

Default Newbie from Long Island, NY

Hey guys, when I say newbie, I don't just mean to the forum, I mean to stripers in general and specifically to surf fishing. Looking for any advice or tips on how to get started surf fishing here on Long Island.

I grew up hunting and fishing (salt & fresh) in the South, but since moving to NY 20 years ago haven't done much fishing other than some trout fishing trips once a year, and the occasional striper boat out of Montauk.

But recently I've had the desire the get some equipment, clothes and knowledge and start hitting the beaches and jetties.

I don't even have a surf rod anymore so nothing is 'too basic' if anyone wants to help me get started.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Newbie from Long Island, NY

Hi Boog

Welcome to the club!!! Hope you get all the info u need here. where in the south did you grow before moving to NY

Dolittle
Lake Wylie SC
Old 01-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Striper Hunter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Official Member

@Dolittle,

Born in Mississippi, raised in Arkansas.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:09 PM

Boog - Start with the stickies in the Stripers 101 forum.
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/fo...play.php?f=172
There is an article titled catching striped bass that will give you an approach to your equipment and a basic idea of what to do .
Site Map
Then search using the keywords - beach permits or LIBBA - There is information there that will give you a basic understanding of the layout of the South Shore of L.I.
There isnt as much info on the North Shore as there is on the south but there is enough to help you get started.
Good luck - enjoy the site.
See one - Do One - Teach One
Old 08-05-2010, 05:00 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I know its an old thread but fishing M is so hard I thought I'd chime in. If your are going to fish M you need korkers, a really good pair of waders, a good surf top, or a wetsuit. you also need a really good neck light, sleep and balls. The south side can be rough so being well rested is highly recommended. For the bait situation go to Paulie's B&T best out there.

K23
Old 08-07-2010, 08:58 PM

Navy Road Park is Located at the western end of Fort Pond Bay near Rocky Point; it has a fishing dock, a rocky beach and a Kayak launch Open from sunrise to sunset year round. This is an area for those less inclined to do a march, search and destroy mission and just leisurly fish with the family.
After the surfers leave in mid to late October you can throw clams or cut bait at ditch plains and theres plenty of room along all the suffolk county beaches to drive on or set up for casting without korkers.
(4 wheel permits needed to drive on) -
You can even wear shorts and a pair of river shoes on any of the sand beaches. BUT!!!! Dont try to wade out on the sand bars without being cognizant of the incoming tide and when to get off.
Like Khary said its downright dangerous in some locations.
The Point isnt a good place for anyone to surfcast unless you have plenty of experience.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Striper Hunter

If you are still looking for a good spot in September, but do not want to drive to the END, then try Shinecock Inlet and beach area. Free Parking, above avergage restaurants and not too much traffic if you fish week days.

Fire Island and Robert Moses Field 2 are also great places for stripers in the fall, but you need a permit, which costs about $80.