Howdee from KY - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Kentucky
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Official Member

Default Howdee from KY

Hello all, just joined the site from the great state of Kentucky (not my first choice) and I am looking to put a 15lber in the boat this year. I fish the Ohio river 95% of the time and really enjoy getting into the whites and hybrids with the occassional striper joining the crowd. I plan on fishing the dams as much as possible this season however mother nature has thrown us a nice curve ball in the shape of highwater so far....so I am pretty much just waiting out the river. Any tips or advice is much appreciated as this is really my fist year ever targeting a large striper to CPR (catch -photo-release). Anyhoo great site and look forward to talking with the pros!

Bill(not sure what this is, maybe a cool banana riding a pickle colored walrus....?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2009, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Howdee from KY

Welcome .....I'm new here as well.

I've inquired about the Ohio and Lake Berkley Tailwaters but no answers yet. Do you know much about stripe in these areas?

Bob
Old 04-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Official Member

I know they are in the Ohio river and the dam is usually the place to find them, other than that...well let's just say I am new to striper fishing too! I do know that swimbaits seem to be pretty popular as well as live/cut bait. Good luck
Old 04-12-2009, 03:01 PM

I'm new here .....not really new to stripe .....I fished stripe with my father growing up then on for a few years after his death.

I then moved from out east to the heartland .....here in Illinois .....where two different objects represent the word cow .......that was about 23 years ago.

I want to stripe again.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Striper Hunter

Welcome aboard. I fish the Ky Dam tailrace several times each year and have always had good success. The bite is definately on at Pickwick Dam and I assume it will be on at Ky Dam as well. We caught two 12 pounders and an 8 pounder yesterday at Pickwick dam. Tight Lines.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Official Member

Not sure where in KY you want to catch the 15#. I've been told for the big ones below the dams to 3-way rig live shad/skipjack, with a heavy 2-3oz weight, drive up close to the dam and drift down with it bouncing on the bottom. I have several over 15# from Lake Cumberland and would be glad to lend tips on the lake.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Official Member

I know stripers are spread thru-out the Ohio river system but they are hard to key in on without a dam to condense them. Not only that but with these spring rains the rivers have been atrocious...