Whats a good striper boat rod? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boating Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boating Beginners Beginner Boating Questions and Answers

Old 08-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Official Member

Default Whats a good striper boat rod?

Looking for a light tackle boat rod for striped bass. I plan on using a accurate single speed 870XC. Also looking for a nice spinner rod reel set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2009, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Whats a good striper boat rod?

Here's a review I did back in 06, still use and love the rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Here's a rod review I did a while back:

Sea Striker Contour KST1530C66

By the Sea Striker Company (who, by the look of their website, seems to also own Gotcha Lure, Star Rods, Clarkspoon Lures, Rex-Air Aeration Systems and Penn Reels)

IM6 Graphite
Graphite trigger grip with a stainless front hood
Aluminum oxide guides (By the look of them, probably AmTaks).
6"6" total length
15# to 30# line
5/8 oz to 3 oz lure.
Cork grips

I bought it a few weeks ago as a spur of the moment purchase for $60 at a local tackle shop in NJ figuring it would be a good dual purpose fluke and striped bass rod.

Took it out today with a friend on his boat to use as a second rod, figuring I'd just try it out. Paired it up with a black Abu 7000c Big Game reel spooled with 65# Stealth. Ended up using it for the whole trip. We chunked bass for about 7 hours with most of the fish going around the mid 20# mark. The rod handled them beautifully, the 6 guides + tip are spaced perfectly, never allowing the braid to touch the blank - even on my biggest fish for the day at 28#.

As for the lure rating shown I think it might be closer to 2 to 5 than the 5/8 to 3 listed. I threw 5 oz and a head most of the day and the rod was more than fine with it. The 5/8 lower limit is IMHO to low a weight for this rod to fish effectively. I can see it being perfect with 2 1/2oz plus a strip bait for fluking.

The rod is very light in weight and has a fast action and great sensitivity. No question in my mind that it'll be even better for bottom fishing and fluking than it is for bass chunking.

All in all a great buy for the money. Now I want to try it out on the kayak, it might be the yak stick I've been looking for.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:51 AM
Lunker

I been fishing on the boat alot and I use an Ugly stik tiger 7ft with a newell reel for drifting with eels, sandworms and gulp worms with lead from 4 to 8 oz to hold bottom and it never fails me.

Last edited by NYCBassMan; 08-30-2009 at 12:55 AM. Reason: add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2009, 01:06 AM

Ugly sticks have no "feel" to them though. Not like a decent graphite rod.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Striper Hunter

If you're a fan of Tsunami, take a look at their line up. Reasonable pricing, great warranty. Personally, i like to stay 7' or under M-H, fast action. My favorite rod/reel combo is a Tsunami Five Star TFSSC 701 MH with a Penn 5600L. Perfect light set up but will handle the heavier fish. I landed a 47 lb BFT off Block Island with it this year. Just my opinion
Old 09-07-2009, 05:14 AM
Striper Hunter

7' Fast action rods. Two of my favorites are G-Loomis Pro-Blue 12-25 lb test (cork, trigger reel seat) This is one great rod.
A close second 15-30lb Lamiglas Tri-Flex (cork no trigger)

If your on a budget or dont want to spend +- $200 on a rod
My son uses a 6.5' Tsunami Five Star its a nice rod for the price. I prefer a 7' rod, but i enjoy fishing with it.

If you like shorter handles Redbone is a nice rod & its reasonably priced.

Ugly sticks are like fishing with a wet noodle. JMO
Old 09-08-2009, 11:45 AM

I have a Star Nicklelite 1530 7' that I use with an avet sx for the applications you mentioned and I love it. The sensitivity is amazing..I even use it for togging occasionally.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishoholic View Post
I have a Star Nicklelite 1530 7' that I use with an avet sx for the applications you mentioned and I love it. The sensitivity is amazing..I even use it for togging occasionally.
Avet SX is a great reel, i love it. Did the stock reel foot fit in the Star rod or did you buy the smaller two screw foot?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:01 PM

It did fit but with felt cramped with the clamp on the bottom. Although my do closely resemble ballpark franks I don't think I really need a clamp on a reel with only 30# braid and 17lbs max drag. but thats just me
Old 09-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Striper Hunter

The way i hold my rod the stock foot was irritating . I dont know why they would put those threaded posts (for the clamp) on a small reel.
The SX will fall off my Loomis with the wide stock foot, I had to buy the thinner foot (no rod clamp) Now the reel stays on all my rods & my finger doesn't dig into the threaded posts.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:12 PM

heyyyyy! I like that! That would be MUCH better! how much?
Old 09-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Striper Hunter

It is much better! I think it was $10 + shipping from Avet.
IMO, that should be the stock foot & the one for the clamp aftermarket.