Fishing "Spots" - Page 7 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum > All Time Best Threads
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

All Time Best Threads Here is the all time best threads. Worth reading

Old 05-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Fishing "Spots"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickski View Post
THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyman1 View Post
But not once have I had the audacity to ask for hot spots to fish in.
Which is smart.
Something many people don't take into account is the fact that if they ask and someone tells them, the chances are 99.9% that they're lying.

You can't even fully trust the tackle shops or magazines. I weighed a fish for a tournament at a local shop last fall. They know me and know not to bother asking where.
The next week I get a call from my uncle saying he just saw a write up in the Fisherman Magazine that I had caught a good fish at the back of Sandy Hook on a Black Gibbs Danny! I don't even own a black Gibbs Danny and I hadn't been near the back of the Hook in weeks
Old 05-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Official Member

I too am a new member. I am disabled with a breathing & walking problem. Can anyone tell me where I could go fishing without much walking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewaynelee_eckertd
I too am a new member. I am disabled with a breathing & walking problem. Can anyone tell me where I could go fishing without much walking?
Hey Dewayne -Lee - you just described me.
I have lung fibrosis. Usually the best place without much walking is around boat launches, docks and boat ramps. Bulkheads, piers and the like, all afford fairly easy access.
Someone will PM you with assistance if they determine your post is legitimate.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Official Member

I grew up freshwater fishing but am relatively new to saltwater fishing. I completely understand the veterans not sharing their secrets. As you stated, "professional" courtesies are earned.

Are questions on feeding tendencies (temp, depth, prey, tide cycle) fair game, or am I likely to get just as many misleads?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod
Are questions on feeding tendencies (temp, depth, prey, tide cycle) fair game, or am I likely to get just as many misleads?
Your not likely to be getting misleads
Those would be good questions. - Everything is fair game - even approximate generalities. Just not coordinates.
The only reason magazines put out these spot reports is to make money and the owners here are no different. They also don't agree with our 'no spotburning' policy.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:42 AM
Striper Hunter - Call_me_Ishmael

I'd like to add a little anecdote about my experience with "spots" although it doesn't involve striper fishing.

I've been fishing freshwater for trout and bass since I was a kid. I am by no means an expert but a real enthusiast for fishing and the outdoors. Well ,I'd been fishing a stretch of the Farmington river for the past few years and was looking to catch fish on a more consistent basis. Not just when the hatchery trucks came around. I started reading some books about trout habitat and how to read the water. I also talked to a few older guys who'd been fishing the river for years. They'd give me tips on some of the hatches and what the fish were hitting on but they never once told me where to go.

So as I learned more I started to be more observant. I'd walk along the river more, stop and watch the water, look at bugs that were around. Rather than casting and covering as much water as possible I was putting more effort into the selection of the places I would fish. One day I came across a nice pool that was set away from where most people go to fish and ended up pulling up some nice trout. I went back a few days later and caught a couple more. It seemed I found a nice honey hole.

In my excitement I had triumphantly described my success to one of the older guys that I know. I gave him a description of the area and he said he knew the exact spot and had fished there quite a lot. He was also glad I found it but added he didn't share that spot with anyone. And I'm not about to share it either.

Is it due to a selfish attitude? No. The spot is open to anyone willing to put in the time to learn and effort to find it. That's why I understand that the "spot" issue is such a hot one.

This site is a tool for learning to fish. Noobs like myself are very lucky to have veteran striper fisherman sharing the knowledge they have. But if any of us new guys want to be successful we need to be diligent and learn how to fish and find the spots on our own.