Anyone else see this interesting tidbit??? The catch in 2008 was the lowest since 1996 - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Chesapeake Bay
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Chesapeake Bay A sub-forum for the Chesapeake Bay and all its tributaries Rockfish Rocks.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Anyone else see this interesting tidbit???

Fellow fishermen . you have to fight the good fight NOW! we on the west coast kept putting off the disappearance of our fishery until now its too late ! Finally we are going strong in a group effort against the water canals taking our fishery down the drain..You have to put a stop to commercial fishing now ! They don't catch & release...just deplete the bass. We had a few yrs back ,a decision by the DFG to buy out the 13 licenses from commercials , Who were literally devastating the halibut in & about San Francisco Bay,..We didn't catch any Halibut inside the bay, due to complete wipe out of the fish where they stayed until they were gone..I mean only by-catch while fishing for other species.. Finally DFG made a unbelievable move to buy out the Commercials..Within 2 or so years we started catching Halibut to our amazement..The commercials didn't commit suicide, but went on to another fish I suppose? Now since the Halibut don't need the rivers to spawn as our bass & salmon ( which have gone) have continued to prosper as our only real fishery now....All the other eastern states that have game-fish status are doing.. Unless its complete you won't have any bass worth fishing for..These are the same fish traveling up & down the coast, only to be over harvested in Mass..Probably Same guys who left the states with Game-fish status... You really have to push & push with letters & emails , to convince the people that will make these decisions That Its more profitable for the state to eliminate these commercials & bring the stripers back..This can even be done by stripers being grown & released , which was done here , until DFG stopped it.. Don't wait till its too late..Hammer um now...The commercials want more & more each year.. And the more they get , the stronger they get.. We send letters telling how many of us come each year , & how much money we spend . cars, rental homes. restaurants, fish gear, & its all left in their state..We also explain that the main reason Is the fishery & if that stops , so do we..... I can't over explain how important it is to make a real fight on this bill H796..If it passes , the other states will follow.. We enjoy visiting your state & will do our part in this important issue........Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

The Power is in the Numbers Men. If you believe in Gamefish status and helping the greatest migratory Fish we have in our waters, return to glory Join "Striper's Forever" Work to making the Striper a Game Fish in your numbers. Write to your Congressman as a recreational fisherman and let him know how much money you will be or have spent in years past pursuing the striper in a recreational manner.

Have you ever wondered why there are so few fish just above keeper size out there? Commercial fisherman harvest these fish almost exclusively. What is essentially happening is the Commercial industry is wiping out an entire Generation of breeding females.

"I dont understand why there is a slot fish if there on a down slide. Is this like survival of the fittest and the most dominant breed. I don't understand the reason behind the slot fish"
Why are slot limits good? They protect the Female striper in her Prime Breeding years from over fishing. The Smaller fish tend to be males and not egg layers.

"Hey buddy I'm not claiming to be any expert on stripers but I was reading an article on stripers last month from whoever does these surveys on how many stripers are out there. They said that we did peak in 2006 and that we were on the down side but not by much. They said stripers are stronger than they ever been."

Who was the article Written by? You choose to believe the statements put forth by the article you read by somebody? I will tell you what Stripers Forever Puts out I believe, because I experience it on the water.
I will tell you the people who are involved with Stripers forever are not blowing smoke. They are hard working Volunteers who pursue gamefish status for the Striped Bass becasue they love the fish and care about it's future not only for themselves but for future generations.

Sriper Jim is also right. If we don't begin to protect the Menhaden there will be no forage base for the striper. If you use Menhadedn oil to scent up lures or use rubber impregnated with fish oil return it/them. That menhaden oil comes from draggers that tear up the ocean floor. Omega products fish oil products you care about stripers do not use them.

I am going off on a tangent here. I am sorry. Protect the fish you love release it to give birth again keep fish responsibly and never ever keep a female loaded with eggs. Even GW Bush was smart enough to realize that the Striper needed protection and shut down the federal waters. Our individual states need to realize this as well.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
The Power is in the Numbers Men. If you believe in Gamefish status and helping the greatest migratory Fish we have in our waters, return to glory Join "Striper's Forever" Work to making the Striper a Game Fish in your numbers. Write to your Congressman as a recreational fisherman and let him know how much money you will be or have spent in years past pursuing the striper in a recreational manner.

Have you ever wondered why there are so few fish just above keeper size out there? Commercial fisherman harvest these fish almost exclusively. What is essentially happening is the Commercial industry is wiping out an entire Generation of breeding females.

"I dont understand why there is a slot fish if there on a down slide. Is this like survival of the fittest and the most dominant breed. I don't understand the reason behind the slot fish"
Why are slot limits good? They protect the Female striper in her Prime Breeding years from over fishing. The Smaller fish tend to be males and not egg layers.

"Hey buddy I'm not claiming to be any expert on stripers but I was reading an article on stripers last month from whoever does these surveys on how many stripers are out there. They said that we did peak in 2006 and that we were on the down side but not by much. They said stripers are stronger than they ever been."

Who was the article Written by? You choose to believe the statements put forth by the article you read by somebody? I will tell you what Stripers Forever Puts out I believe, because I experience it on the water.
I will tell you the people who are involved with Stripers forever are not blowing smoke. They are hard working Volunteers who pursue gamefish status for the Striped Bass becasue they love the fish and care about it's future not only for themselves but for future generations.

Sriper Jim is also right. If we don't begin to protect the Menhaden there will be no forage base for the striper. If you use Menhadedn oil to scent up lures or use rubber impregnated with fish oil return it/them. That menhaden oil comes from draggers that tear up the ocean floor. Omega products fish oil products you care about stripers do not use them.

I am going off on a tangent here. I am sorry. Protect the fish you love release it to give birth again keep fish responsibly and never ever keep a female loaded with eggs. Even GW Bush was smart enough to realize that the Striper needed protection and shut down the federal waters. Our individual states need to realize this as well.
Great post Jack, very well said. Ya definitely cant believe everything ya read out there and, as an active member of Stripers Forever, I couldn't agree more. I'll take their word over all others, knowing that its back by actual research and not some bias or unbias opinion.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2009, 07:53 AM
Pro Staff

Your 100% Correct Will. I have been doing a little work with SF in support of the Gamefish Bill here in MA. SF is a dedicated group of guys that volunteer their time and Money to promote the conservation of the Striped Bass. Many of whom have worked in the commercial industry and are not blind to degradation of the stock. They work with scientists from woods hole and anyone who will listen. These guys are from many different backgrounds We all have a voice in this matter and the first step is to join. Numbers mean a lot to Legislators. It is all about constituency and votes.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Lunker

Onething I have noticed while out trolling for striper is the loss of menhaden. Menhaden is not like it used to be and that will affect the Stripers. Our government does not seem to care about the menhaden and are letting them be overhavested. That will hurt the Chesapeake Bay but the government would rathar get the money than save the bay as from what I can see. I am a real believer that no nets should be put up in the Chesapeake Bay , no troller fishing with nets in the bay and then they should not let them set nets within three miles of land. The sportfisherman cannot fish past three miles so do not let the commercial guys within three miles of land. There are plenty of stripers outside the three mile limit.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Pro Staff

The comms can not fish outside of three miles either at least for Bass.

The Menhaden issue is a huge one. Menhaden are used for multivitamins, lure oils a ton of stuff. One way to limit the menhaden catch is to personally ban the use of the products that utilize Menhaden in production. Don't by rubber with impregnated fish oils, don't use Multivitamins with fish oil etc. That that is one way we as fisherman that are concerned with the stock will be able to make a difference.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:21 PM
swabbie

Ok Guy's,
For what it is worth I have been fishing stripers out of Newburyport for 20 something years, I have a boat and fish the flats, up and down Plum Island, Parker River and the Hamton Flats and the Isle's of Shoals.
2006 was a great year, but there has been some decline in keeper size fish, but not that much and I fish 4 to 5 times a week so I should know what I am talking about.
One should consider the weather as a factor, last year was miserable I tend to think that may have influenced the Maine fishing, also I see a tremendous amount of Blue action in area's that I have not seen it before. I am sure that may impact the situation.
Anyway a 50% decline I don't think so. I would want to see all pertinent data on those stats
Old 05-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Pro Staff

For What it is worth

this is according to the NOAA Marine Recreational Fisheries Statistics(these numbers represent the entire east coast)

2006 over 28 Million fish
2007 a hair over 19,000,000 fish caught
2008 a hair over 13 million

The number to be exact is over 51.1% decline in recreational bass catches.

Couple that with the 2008 Year of the Young index of 3.2 8.5 points below the long term average and guess what you have a species in trouble. Say what you want about how your fishing has been fine and people catch fish all over the place yee haa. But the scientific evidence is out there to support declining numbers.

The bottom line is Recreational and Commercial anglers have to wake up and smell the coffee. Every fish you remove from the water that is above 36" is dollars to donuts female. That fish will never spawn again. IF that fish is removed from the water during spawn She will not lay her eggs this year(which can total in the millions of eggs)

"I would want to see all pertainant data on those stats" Google it, it takes less than 30 seconds to actually get to the site and see the pertinent data for your self. The decline in Bass numbers has nothing to do with blue fish populating areeas where bass roamed.

So keep that attitude When we are all gone and we have mounts collecting dust and fish in the freezer the bass that once travelled the shore lines of our predecessors will be gone and this hobby we love can never be passed on as it was to us.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Striper Hunter

Great post. It should be a "sticky" and required reading for everyone
Old 06-04-2009, 01:51 AM
Striper Hunter - Call_me_Ishmael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
For What it is worth

The bottom line is Recreational and Commercial anglers have to wake up and smell the coffee. Every fish you remove from the water that is above 36" is dollars to donuts female. That fish will never spawn again. IF that fish is removed from the water during spawn She will not lay her eggs this year(which can total in the millions of eggs)
So why isn't there legislation for C & R fish only from April until June? It's done in freshwater trout streams early in the season. Seems like that would give the big gals a chance to spawn. Just a question, not trying to stir the pot.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Anyone else see this interesting tidbit??? The catch in 2008 was the lowest since 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call_me_Ishmael
So why isn't there legislation for C & R fish only from April until June?
There are for the Chesapeake, Delaware Rivers and Bay
Only New Yorks Hudson River doesnt have one.
New Jersey and Pennsylvania both changed the rules this year to conform to each others regs.
The state of Delaware has closed spawning seasons for the Delaware Bay
The commercial regs are much fuzzier than the recs. Politics as usual.

Chesapeake Bay
Virginia
Virginia has a Coastal season A trophy season for the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries and a Chesapeake Bay Spring Season and a Chesapeake Bay fall Season and different regulations that apply to the Potomac river.
All of these have closed during the spawn for recreational fishermen.
http://www.mrc.state.va.us/regulatio...hingrules.shtm

Chesapeake Bay
Maryland

CATCH AND RELEASE ONLY Mar 1, 2009 - May 3, 2009

Catch and Keep 18" - 26"

May 16 - May 31, 2009 1/person/day
Susquehanna Flats, upstream of a line from Sandy Point to Turkey Point and the Susquehanna River downstream from a line connecting the Susquehanna State Park Boat Ramp in Lapidum to Twin Rocks to Tomes Wharf in Port Deposit; and Northeast River. No eels.If using bait and hook has gap 1/2" or more, must use non-offset circle hooks.

Spring Trophy Season
Apr 18, 2009 - May 15, 2009
1/person/day

No Eels. Restricted to the mainstem Chesapeake Bay from Brewerton Channel to the Maryland/ Virginia Line, Tangier & Pocomoke Sounds (no Tributaries)
May not possess striped bass while fishing between 12:00 midnight and 5:00 a.m.

May 16, 2009 - Dec. 15, 2009
2 @ 18"- 28" OR
1 @ 18" - 28" and 1 larger than 28"/person/day.
May not possess striped bass while fishing between 12:00 midnight and 5:00 a.m.
May 16 - 31, 2009- Restricted to the mainstem Chesapeake Bay from a Line between Tolchester to the south pt. of Hart-Miller Island south to the MD/ VA Line plus areas of the Chester, Choptank and Patuxent Rivers.
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...ecregchrt.html

New Jersey Closed season April and May
Del. River & tribs. (Calhoun St. Bridge); Trenton, to Salem River & tribs.
Open Mar. 1 - Mar. 31 & June 1 - Dec. 31
2 fish at 28"

Pennsylvania Closed season April and May

Striped Bass and Hybrid Striped Bass From the Pennsylvania state line to Calhoun Street Bridge - March 1 through March 31 and June 1 through Dec. 31
From Calhoun Street Bridge upstream - Open year-round
2 per day at 28 inches

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/fishpub/.../delaware.html

State of Delaware spawning restrictions

Striped Bass Spawning Season and Area Restrictions.

(Penalty Section 7 Del.C. 936(b)(2))

1.0 The spawning season for striped bass (Morone saxatilis) in Delaware shall begin at 12:01 A.M. on April 1 and continue through midnight on May 31 of each calendar year.

2.0 It shall be unlawful for any person to take and retain any striped bass during the striped bass spawning season from the Nanticoke River or its tributaries, the Delaware River and its tributaries to the north of a line extending due east beginning at and including the south jetty at the mouth of the C & D Canal, or the C & D Canal or its tributaries.

3.0 It shall be unlawful for any person to fish a fixed gill net in the Nanticoke River or its tributaries or the C & D Canal or its tributaries during the striped bass spawning season.

4.0 It shall be unlawful for any person to fish during the striped bass spawning season in the Nanticoke River or its tributaries or the C & D Canal or its tributaries with a draft gill net of multi- or mono-filament twine larger than 0.28 millimeters in diameter (size #69) or a stretched mesh size larger than five and one-half (5 1/2) inches.

5.0 It shall be unlawful for any person to fish any fixed gill net in the Delaware River north of a line beginning at Liston Point (River Mile 48.06) and continuing due east to the boundary with New Jersey during January, February, March, April or May.

6.0 It shall be unlawful for any person to fish during the striped bass spawning season defined in 3502 section 1.0 and in the areas defined in 3502 section 2.0 with natural bait using any hook other than3504 a non-offset circle hook when said hook measures greater than three-eighths (3/8s) inches as measured from the point of the hook to the shank of the hook.

http://regulations.delaware.gov/Admi...html#TopOfPage

ALL STATE STRIPED BASS REGULATIONS
Old 06-04-2009, 05:29 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Default Re: Anyone else see this interesting tidbit??? The catch in 2008 was the lowest since 1996

Those types of write ups by Stripers forever always seem really hypocritical to me. In one sentence they mention that The catch in 2008 was the lowest since 1996 (which was a good year BTW).

Then another sentence they claim there are 3,000,000 plus recreational anglers who avidly pursue striped bass. And their answer is to ban commercial fishing for Striped bass? like the 3,000,000 recs that are avidly catching them have no impact? Im a recreational fisherman myself but it just seems kooky the way they rationalize it. I think the population is pretty good, but as long as people keep wanting to point the finger at everyone else and deny their own impact, the Stripers could be in deep trouble
Old 06-04-2009, 06:05 PM

I agree especially when party boats are considered into the recreational sector.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:01 PM

I think the menhadden are a huge part of the issue, we have been catching these skinny fish, if theres no food then you cant support a good population. They need to look at another sollution instead of dragging. They screw up alot of ocean floor. rod and reel commercial does not kill that many fish. Draggers kill fish and then throw them back. wasteful
Old 06-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zam View Post
Those types of write ups by Stripers forever always seem really hypocritical to me. In one sentence they mention that The catch in 2008 was the lowest since 1996 (which was a good year BTW).

Then another sentence they claim there are 3,000,000 plus recreational anglers who avidly pursue striped bass. And their answer is to ban commercial fishing for Striped bass? like the 3,000,000 recs that are avidly catching them have no impact? Im a recreational fisherman myself but it just seems kooky the way they rationalize it. I think the population is pretty good, but as long as people keep wanting to point the finger at everyone else and deny their own impact, the Stripers could be in deep trouble
Since 1996, which was the tail end of the fishery rebounding from the last time the commercial market shut down.

I am an active member of Stripers Forever, and for the most part the people who work on for with SF are active conservationists who not only are concerned with establishing Game fish Status for the Striped Bass but also are aware of and consider the impact on the fishery due to external forces as well, such as the over-harvest of Menhaden to start with.

When you fish this year take note as to the number of Bass you catch between 28 and 34" Then also consider the number of juvenile fish you are catching. I am willing to bet the number of fish you catch this year in particular in those ranges will be limited.

Game Fish status is a start in the health of the Striper populations. The attitude of the recreational angler has to change as well.

There needs to be slots imposed any where there is spawning activity or season shut downs.

There needs to be legislation to limit party boat slaughter, no sense pretending it is anything but.

There needs to be legislation protecting menhaden and other migratory bait fish.

Poaching need to be deterred with steeper penalties.

Somehow someone needs to develop a system to create off shore fish farms that current comms have the ability to buy into as a co-operative.

I am no Tree hugger and I am no left wing extremist I am an average guy who just loves to fish and loves to fish for what I consider to be the greatest migratory fish out there. I just want to be able to fish with My grandchildren for Stripers.

If you think Stripers Forever is incorrect that is your opininon but what are you going to do if they are right.