Big Shell Beach, Texas Cleanup, Saturday, March 14, 2009 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Official Member

Default Big Shell Beach, Texas Cleanup, Saturday, March 14, 2009

Big Shell Beach Cleanup, Saturday, March 14, 2009

The date for Big Shell Beach Cleanup 09 is set for the 14th of March 2009. That is the second Saturday in March, We'll be there rain or shine so please spread the word! If your interested in helping sponsor the event please email Billy at [email protected].

Don't forget this year's Big Shell Beach Clean-Up, folks. It'll be here before we know it, Saturday, March 14, 2009.

About 400 hundred of us had a blast last year; plan on coming and helping out. I don't remember the exact total, but we picked up something like 150 tons of trash it seems like. I remember seeing the total last year and hardly being able to believe it. The thing I do remember is when I was through around 2:00 pm, I was tired and hungry. The hot dog and coke at the park's headquarters tasted better than any steak I ever ate, and I've had plenty of them!!

Come on out and have some fun: the 2009 Billy Sandifer Big Shell Beach Clean-Up!

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Big Shell Beach, Texas Cleanup, Saturday, March 14, 2009

14th. Annual Big Shell Beach Cleanup Announcement and Plans

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 3:20 PM

14th. Annual Big Shell Beach Cleanup

Volunteers for the Big Shell Cleanup will meet no later than 7 a.m. at the Malaquite pavilion.

Needs are working volunteers, 4 wheel drive trucks and trailers for hauling trash.

Walking volunteers are welcome and will be afforded transportation into and out of the work area.

Long trousers, gloves and sturdy footwear are recommended. Watch for nails and donít put sharp objects or pressurized containers in trash bags.

Each group of volunteers is referred to as a section and each section has a very experienced section leader. Notify him of broken glass or questionable items and let him handle them.

Snacks, water and sodas will be available in the work area but feel free to bring a sandwich.

Those not able to do much physical work but having 4 wheel drive vehicles are welcome and valuable to the event as they can transport volunteers.

During the event we will be stockpiling trash at the 15 mile beach to avoid the long and time consuming round trip to the Malaquite pavilion to unload trash and return. This will allow for multiple "trash hauls" per truck and trailer. NPS (National Park Service) will remove this stockpiled trash post event. At workís end trailers will haul full loads to the Malaquite pavilion and off load into dumpsters.

C.C.A. will have food and drinks available at 2:00 p.m. and all volunteers will get event t shirts.

FOR THOSE SO INTERESTED AND INCLINED some of us will continue to work along with PINS personnel till dark Saturday and will meet Sunday morning at 07:00 a.m. at the Malaquite Pavilion and continue the effort Sunday. Please understand NO ONE is EXPECTED to participate in this extended time frame.

The official hours of the 14th. Annual Big Shell Beach Cleanup are 07:00 a.m. till 2:00 p.m. Saturday only. Those willing and able are welcome to participate in this extended work Audubon TX has donated porta potties which will be placed at the 15 mile trash drop off location.

There is such a tremendous amount of debris deposited by Hurricane Ike on the beach front of PINS that the task of how best to plan and carry out this yearís 14th. Annual cleanup became, for a time, just as overwhelming as the amount of debris. For the first time NPS personnel at PINS will be actively participating in the work area in numbers and for the first time we have funds available to rent equipment to aid in the event through generous donations to the new non profit c-3 group, The Friends of Padre, Inc. (FoP)

At first it was decided to rent various types of equipment and to utilize this equipment during the volunteer event. Also to extend the length of the Big Shell Cleanup Event from 2 p.m. till dark and extend the effort to include Sunday as well. Then I realized that we are dealing with two separate things as if they were one. The grass roots, all Volunteer Big Shell Cleanup on Sat. 14 March is one thing and the battle to remove ALL of the debris deposited on PINS by Hurricane Ike is another.

This is obviously a larger scale and longer endeavor. In fact it has already been underway for some time by NPS personnel and will be continued for whatever length of time it requires to get it done. And I was reminded that most of our volunteers are physically exhausted and ready to call it quits around 12:30 or 1 p.m. which gets them back to Malaquite by our traditional 2 p.m. quitting time and they sure arenít ready for a second straight day of it Sunday. Especially since so many travel some distance to attend the event and have to be back at work Monday morning. There were also concerns about families working around heavy equipment and the heart and soul of this event has always been and remains it being a family oriented event.

So officially the event is back on itís traditional time schedule and format. 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Additional time and support are available for those so willing and inclined and as president of FoP, I will write the NPS a check earmarked "for beach cleanup and debris removal" in the amount generously donated to FoP for that purpose. These funds will be used by NPS in their continuing efforts of removing Hurricane Ike debris.

Itís all good. This is a wondrous, one of a kind event in a wondrous one of a kind place. A Natural National Treasure.

It is filled with fun and laughter and hard work and the best of company. You are cordially invited to join us.

Respectfully,

Captain Billy L. Sandifer

Founder and Co-organizer Big Shell Beach Cleanup and President of Friends of Padre, Inc.