Seize 3 tons of striped bass - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News > Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws State game thief and Poacher hotlines / U.S. State Trailering Laws / Registration & Guidelines / Regulations / DNRs / Wildlife fish and game / and other govermental agencies / Park service Pass / Fees / News , fishing bills, conservation, regulations pertaining to the striped bass

Old 01-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Seize 3 tons of striped bass

JAN 6 2009.
Natural Resources Police seized nearly 3 tons of striped bass Sunday from a trawler and charged a Dorchester County seafood processor with illegal commercial fishing in Maryland waters. It was the second time in less than a week that officers had charged Jack C. Colbourne, owner of Colbourne Seafood Inc. in Secretary, with illegal fishing.
Officers boarded the Mount Vernon after watching the 80-foot vessel drag a net about two miles off the Ocean City inlet all day Sunday, according to Sgt. Ken Turner, a police spokesman.
Officers issued citations to Colbourne, 69, Mark H. Bryan, 53, and Bayard Lewis Taylor III, 64, all of East New Market, for fishing between 6 p.m. Friday and 5 a.m. Monday, when the season is closed. They are to appear Feb. 22 in Worcester County District Court. The maximum fine is $250 if they plead guilty before their court date and $500 if found guilty by a judge.
The boat is owned by Mount Vernon LLC in Cape May N.J. The catch was sold and the money is being held in escrow until the cases are settled, Turner said.

On Dec. 30, officers boarded the Mount Vernon in West Ocean City and charged Colbourne with exceeding his 1,900-pound seasonal allocation of striped bass, or rockfish, by 138 pounds, Turner said.

The U.S. government has banned striped bass fishing from three miles to 200 miles off the East Coast. The area between the shore and federal waters is governed by the states. New Jersey is one of six East Coast states that prohibit commercial striped bass fishing; Maryland allows recreational and commercial fishing.
SOME FINE HUH?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Seize 3 tons of striped bass

The maximum fine is $250 if they plead guilty before their court date and $500 if found guilty by a judge.

Your freekin kidding me.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Young salt

Holy s**t, 3 TONS of stripers, that's insane. The worst part is that these knobs are making a LOT more money selling these fish and the fines imposed are essentially pocket change. It would only stand to reason that they'll turn around and do it again, I mean, why wouldn't they??? Is there an email address or website associated with this guy's restaurant? I'd love to write/comment and give this guy a good sized piece of my mind. Here's hopin that along their travels to Worcester District Court one of the local 'ladies of the night' treat them all to a healthy dose of crotch itch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will

P.S. I did a quick search and stumbled across this: http://www.examiner.com/a-1780267~Po...men_cited.html

C'mon now, two times in less than a week, you gotta be shittin me!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by StriperHyper; 01-08-2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: added link/grammar
Old 01-08-2009, 07:06 PM

Colbourne Seafood
Main St
Secretary, MD
(410) 943-3993

OK Both sides.
Dont bury me for this Im just putting it out there.

This from stripersforever. - and we wholeheartedly agree.

We think jail would be a more appropriate punishment for these repeat offenders along with forfeiture of license and gear. Furthermore, the official calculation of illegally caught striped bass is zero against the commercial quota . That's right, zero. This ought to give you an inkling of why the real condition of the striped bass population is not reflected by the ASMFC stock assessment science. If you start out with faulty input, you end up with faulty results.

The remedy is to make striped bass a game fish and to end commercial fishing for them everywhere. We have said from the very start of SF, the legal commercial fishery simply facilitates the illegal one. As long as there is a price on the head of stripers, the temptation to break the law to catch and sell them illegally will overwhelm any enforcement efforts.

This is a comment from the sun.

Examiner Reader said:

Kind of funny how the MD DNR has written this story. They forgot to mention that Jack Colbourne is 3rd generation to his business and has never been cited in his career or the business(78 years). Also, the first ticket was based on a weighing issue at the check station, which provided a different total than the weight measured on the boat. The second trip mysteriously the weights recorded at the same weigh station were less than weight recorded onboard. The second citation there is currently a disagreement on federal and Maryland fishing laws which is why they had no idea they were breaking the law in broad day light. Also, the DNR sailed past them while they were fishing and let them catch the fish without saying a word. Thanks for taking the opportunity to make a long time business man with an outstanding record a common criminal. Most of you guys will probably be getting laid off soon because there will be no one left for you to bully around.

Quote:
"The second citation there is currently a disagreement on federal and Maryland fishing laws which is why they had no idea they were breaking the law in broad day light"
That sounds too fishy an excuse to me and perhaps needs to be investigated but thats why we have due process. The fines should be stiffer and the gear seized if flaunting the law.

My question is why would the DNR officers watch them drag a net all day Sunday if the season was closed and allow them to catch 6000 pounds of fish?
Old 01-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

no shortage of scumbags out there on either end imo. i am just the messenger. my opinion is that making it a gamefish hurts the fishery as these predators will consume a vast amount of other inshore fish like fluke/weakfish/etc. i see the logic but in the long run what are we to do? open it up one month a year to slaughter to keep the numbers down? like i said, i am all for it being a gamefish but responsibility to the fishery would need to be addressed.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:33 PM

Reduce the bluefish and dogfish poulations.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

from what i can see, if they don;t have a fishing license soon that won't be a problem as all the "foreigners" keep every bluefish and doggie they catch(as well as fluke and other species) a moratorium on the striped bass should be imposed to allow the spawn but then our brothers in the hudson and other tributaries and spawning grounds would suffer. just no viable option that 100% makes it right in any position.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:43 PM

Lets break it down to brass tacks.

The recreational sector and its economic impact on the multi-billion dollar hook line and sinker fishing / boating / tourism industries.

Vs.

The Commercial fishing industry - their political clout
Balanced with their right to fish - employ workers - sustain a dying industry supply the distributors and the consumers with fresh fish.

A solution would be to supply the fresh fish market through aquacultured striped bass exclusively. This of course addresses the supply and demand aspect but not the impact on the commercial industry as it shifts the dollars to a entirely different industry.
A % of sales could go back to the commercial Captains to offset their losses of not fishing for the bass. Sort of a pay for not harvesting crops like the govt has done in the past with farmers.

Now lets assume the striped bass has gamefish status for this discussion.
The increased predation population affecting other fish species IMO isnt a good enough argument to preclude gamefish status. Look at history as the barometer. Before the crash and overfishing their were plenty of forage available for a biomass that dwarfs todays levels.

An informed public would go a long way in making sound decisions as whats best for the species and not whats best for the various special interests. For example - interested parties need to be informed about the political aspects of the Governing boards, their appointments and what interests they may represent. 5 voting members out of a total of 21 on the Mid-Atlantic Council work for the commercial fishing industry.
The Mid-Atlantic Council states include North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York. Structurally, the Mid-Atlantic Council has 21 voting members: the
Northeast regional administrator of NMFS, a representative of the marine resource agency for each of the seven Mid-Atlantic states, and 13 members nominated by the state governors and appointed by the Secretary of Commerce. The 13 appointed members serve for three-year terms, up to a maximum of three consecutive terms. In addition, four non-voting members represent the U.S. Coast Guard, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Department of State, and the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission. The Mid-Atlantic Council meets seven times a year, alternating
locations between all of the seven Mid-Atlantic states. The three or four day meetings provide opportunities for the public to observe the meetings and participate in public testimony on specific actions of the Mid-Atlantic Council. In 2007, the Mid-Atlantic Council will switch to meeting only
six times a year, in six of the seven Mid-Atlantic states.

Also a rudimentary understanding of the complex nature of of the symbiotic relationships of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - Atlantic States Marine fisheries Council (ASMFC) and the Federal Fishery Management Councils - National Marine Fisheries Service and the Federal Fish and Wildlife agencies among many others.

Here is a publication of interest
This report was funded in part by the following grants # NA 07 FGO 024 and NA 97 FGO 034 from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
Habitat managers database

The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission was formed by the 15 Atlantic coastal states in 1942 for the promotion and protection of coastal fishery resources.

to be continued. please add your thoughts and comments
Old 01-08-2009, 10:01 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

It sounds as though The quote by the "Examiner reader was probably a friend of Mr. Colbourne or Mr. Colbourne himself defending himself publicly.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
It sounds as though The quote by the "Examiner reader was probably a friend of Mr. Colbourne or Mr. Colbourne himself defending himself publicly.
Those were my thoughts as well, Its likely if thats the case he was testing the DNR to see if he could get away with it and they gave him the rope. Otherwise why the heck allow an all day plunder?
At any rate it supplies fodder for the need for gamefish status.

I thought it might be an idea to offset commercial supply with an aqua-cultured supply through Wallop Breaux funding but then thought
It would make better sense to compensate the commercial fishing industry for not fishing for bass through the non-fishing (and non-Wallop Breaux contributing) seafood consuming public it supplies.
The % should come from the restaurant tabs.
I dont advocate more consumer taxes or fees but i do agree with a pay per use fee in this - a hypothetical case.
Im sure there is a better alternative. Ideas and dialogue are whats needed on these issues.

5 voting members out of a total of 21 on the Mid-Atlantic Council work for the commercial fishing industry.

any 1 say conflict of interest?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

like unions those five have got to be getting something from the comm's for thier efforts and pass it on to some of the obvious skells of the remaining 16. a lobbyist if you will. they make great arguements and have substantial input. they are never far from the decision making process and are rarely held in a bad light. summed it up in last post. but i still say there is no way they will make that animal a game fish. they know what it is capable of doing to the eco system. as long as they keep overfishing menhadden that idea is a bad one.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimno
as long as they keep overfishing menhadden that idea is a bad one.
Unfortunately your right as usual. They should aquaculture them too.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:58 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

The commercial fisherman and the game fisherman both have arguments. It is a heated subject when in mixed company.
If I were a commercial fisherman(which I am not) and I read about this incident I would be furious with Colbourne seafood for these actions. There has to be a line drawn somewhere. It is publicity like this that can and will destroy their industry.
Commercial fisherman(which I am not). personally should be pushing for the set up of an aqua culture system. It is an easier way to make a living and you could control the market to an extent. It would enable commercial fishing to have controlled costs a predictable harvest and the wild population could flourish.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

there are alot of them out in deep water for assorted species but unfortunately, the little guy can't afford the time and effort and expense to start up such an undertaking. there could be incentives set in place by governing bodies for funding while making it a gamefish and controlling the farming aspect of it but poaching will always be a factor as there IS no shortage of scumbags out there.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimno
there IS no shortage of scumbags out there.
Theres also no shortage of law abiding upstanding decent citizens either.
Screw the poachers. That would be the least of the worries if the fish has protected status.
The douche bags would become aware of that and quickly.