Live herring users... how do you keep them alive at home? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:31 PM
First Mate

Default Live herring users... how do you keep them alive at home?

I was wondering if anyone ever used a 120 volt aerator at home to help keep extra herring alive when they are done fishing for the day. In my state of NY it is now illegal to bring bait home and then use it the next day, buy I was thinking that if there were any good 120 volt aerators, I could run one off of a power inverter while I was fishing and release the extras or take them home to eat them. I had two 12 volt KeepAlive aerators burn up on me this year- I guess they're not meant for 24/7 use for a month at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 11:34 AM
LunkerSpunker

Default Re: Live herring users... how do you keep them alive at home?

did you just say you would take your bait home and eat it ?
Old 07-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

gunner 1 we use the same areator but we use a 50 gallon barrell cut in half for the herring .the key is you dont have to always run the aerator . just change the water every 20 minutes or so and the herring will live all day..we generally run our aerator in 15 minute intervals so they dont burn up...hope this helps

Old 07-17-2008, 04:19 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Back in the days when it was leagal to use herring in Mass, every spring there were several of us that would get together and fish the herring run in the spring, starting in the early evening we would catch our bait by dip net in the runs... we kept the bait alive all night in oval tanks or 2/3 of a 55 gallon drum a 12 volt areator that we used was the stick type made by bait saver, it went down through the top of the tank and using an impeller, made thousands of tiny bubbles, we found that 15 baits was the optimum.. 18 the max, if you didnt want to loose any over night, we also used to freeze water in 1 gallon jugs, two jugs per tank kept the water very cold and aided in the keeping of the bait.... it've still go the areator that we used back then, and it works as well now as it did then, I still use it in conjuntion with a areation system that I built for my tank to keep mackerel that I catch the night before alive all night so I can fish at day break instead of chase bait like everyone else.. I'l take a picturs of the unit tonight and post them up for you in the morning...
Old 07-17-2008, 09:42 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBaiter View Post
did you just say you would take your bait home and eat it ?
Me personally, no. But my girlfriends grandfathers LOVE their smoked, fried or even pickeled herring!
Old 07-26-2008, 11:36 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
Back in the days when it was leagal to use herring in Mass, every spring there were several of us that would get together and fish the herring run in the spring, starting in the early evening we would catch our bait by dip net in the runs... we kept the bait alive all night in oval tanks or 2/3 of a 55 gallon drum a 12 volt areator that we used was the stick type made by bait saver, it went down through the top of the tank and using an impeller, made thousands of tiny bubbles, we found that 15 baits was the optimum.. 18 the max, if you didnt want to loose any over night, we also used to freeze water in 1 gallon jugs, two jugs per tank kept the water very cold and aided in the keeping of the bait.... it've still go the areator that we used back then, and it works as well now as it did then, I still use it in conjuntion with a areation system that I built for my tank to keep mackerel that I catch the night before alive all night so I can fish at day break instead of chase bait like everyone else.. I'l take a picturs of the unit tonight and post them up for you in the morning...
Any luck with those pics?
Old 07-27-2008, 02:05 PM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

http://www.aquariumguys.com/fluval-1...er-filter.html

Think filtration - it will remove the fish waste so you can go without changing the water and there made to run 247/365 only uses 22wats.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:52 PM
Striper Hunter

Bump
Old 04-16-2015, 03:18 PM
Official Member

200 gallon rubbermaid cattle trough hooked to a 120 volt commercial aerator. works like a champ.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:26 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbyzerman View Post
200 gallon rubbermaid cattle trough hooked to a 120 volt commercial aerator. works like a champ.
Pics?
Old 04-16-2015, 10:57 PM
Striper Hunter

Pond filter, 2 400gph power heads, 60 gal aquarium filter, and 2 aerators I'm still in texting phase waiting for herring to arrive In Northernmost waters to arrive it's still in a test run but I've kept minnows and creek chubs no prob so far
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PART_1428369285756_PART_1428369283336_0406152059_1429235800486.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	22658  
Old 04-17-2015, 05:18 PM
Striper Hunter

Lots of great advice here. Nowadays being we cant transport herring out of a certain area here in NY your best bet is to find a safe place on the river that you can keep a barrel or any kind of bait pen in the water for the season.. Just dont make the holes to big in your barrel or you will find all your herring dead and with no eye balls from the eels. Good luck this season..