Penn Trouble - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 02-07-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Penn Trouble

I opened up My Slammer tonight and found it to be messed up. better now than later. So I need a part.

Its called......"Crosswind Block" Part No. 043N560

This part makes the "Spool Shaft" go up and down and rides on the "Crosswind Gear".

:twisted: Craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2005, 09:49 PM

Its done Craig.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:57 PM

I REALLY need to learn how to take apart a reel...
so...if anyone has any really old or disfuntional reels...I'll be happy to pay for you ship them to me...

I need the practice...

Briggs...(basically) how do you go about taking yours apart?
I saw on another site, a picture explination of how to do it...but it just confussed me... :?

and...Jim how do you get all this stuff? (just wondering)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2005, 10:16 PM

Thanks Jim, You da man, Let me know price and when it comes in and we'll figure it out.

BostonBoy.....You never really have to mess with the spool assembly unless somethings broken for one thing. so that nut you usually find at the top of your spool, under your drag Knob, you shouldnt have to touch.

Most reels are basic...There are usually 4 or less screws that hold the Housing Body on. Always work on a solid surface. Always remember where everything goes. As you can see in that picture, i used a small board to keep everything together and its easy to see parts when their on a light colored surface. Reels are usually basic when you open them up. remove the Housing Body, making sure the reel is sitting flat so nothing falls out if its lose or broken, also easier to tell where it came from. Unless something is broken, i dont go too in depth with taking it all apart, mostly, the parts i want to get at, are right in front of you once you take that Housing Body off. You want to oil those gears and keep that Spool shaft nice and oiled also. If your reel seems really dry inside, you might want to remove the bigger gears and check the grease behind them, if there isnt any, this is where you'll want to apply grease (not oil). Only Grease the bigger Gears as doing this will get to the smaller ones on its own, it also doesn't distribute too much grease when you apply this way. Like i said before, you don't want a big mess of oil and grease inside, there is such a thing as "To Much". Before any of this is performed, i will have either blown out or wiped off the whole inside to get rid of sand or corrosion.

Put it back together and enjoy your new reel.

Its also good to have a Blown up Picture of your reel. You know? like everypart displayed on a paper.

Hope this helps a little.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

Old 02-07-2005, 10:23 PM

I was just down in my fishing room, picked up my slammer and said to myself "man, i love the way this reel feels" i started to reel it and the spool goes up and as its nearing the bottom, bangs down, goes up and bangs down. i was like "wtf?" and opened her up to find those two peices falling out in my hand. oh great....what the hell is this thing. so after a few choice words, and having a seat, i dismantalled hahaha.

You do realize that i have to take apart all my reels now just to make sure theres no similar parts waiting to go when i catch big momma.

This sucks !!!

:twisted: Craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

Old 02-07-2005, 10:30 PM

Bostonboy..... Take the handle off first. sorry.

aka surfcastermaster

Old 02-07-2005, 10:47 PM

Thanks so much Craig...

I'll probably find a crapy reel to try it out on first...I dont feel like crackin' open my Slammers or my Stradic...haha

Once I took apart something I shouldn't have, on my paintball gun...springs basically exploded all over the place and I had to send it back to the manufacturer and make up some story about how it got busted open when I tripped or something... 8)
Old 02-07-2005, 11:11 PM

Craig have a look here. Scotts B& T has a penn parts store. Its 2.95 cents.
http://www.scottsbt.com/acb_sbt/webp...ge_ID=21&DID=8

Jim
Old 02-08-2005, 10:36 AM

Craig have a look here. Scotts B& T has a penn parts store. Its 2.95 cents.
http://www.scottsbt.com/acb_sbt/webp...ge_ID=21&DID=8

Jim

Yea Jim, actually, i think i bought my drag knob off him when that broke. Back when i had a credit card.....see the dilema here? hahaha. you... i can write a check or send a money order.

Bostonboy, thats a great idea to grab an old reel and open her up. next winter you'll be having fun ripping your reels down and cleaning them up. its actually one of the highlights of my winter when i can sit down in my fishing room, complete with television, and relax while i slowly tear my reels down. brings me back to the days of building models, which i never really had the patience for hahaha. for some reason the reels dont bother me, its a love thing hahaha.

aka surfcastermaster

Old 02-08-2005, 04:12 PM

Its on the way to me Craig. Soon as it arrives I'll send it on. I ordered some smelly jelly and super lube while I was at it.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:14 PM

Thank you Jim, I'll make sure something comes back at ya when it gets here my friend. I didn't even think to get some grease, i need more oil too but i still have a little of that. Now i have 3 of my Penns, all layed out on boards, all dismantalled and getting checked with a fine tooth comb. So much better preventing than bitching out on the beach at night hahaha.

aka surfcastermaster

Old 02-10-2005, 11:30 PM

Craig

parts in. Ill send it on friday morning. Scotts has a very fast turnaround. Nice stuff. Highly recommend for Penn parts. 8)

http://www.scottsbt.com/acb_sbt/webp...&WebPage_ID=17
Old 02-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Veteran

Boston Boy send me your address and I send you a old reel you can play with.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:23 PM

Thanks Jim,

I just received the part and installed it and the Slammer is better than ever.

I'm going to use the address on the envelope to send payment.

i'll always be using scott now, thanks again.

aka surfcastermaster