Lead Core Trolling Advice Needed - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boaters Forum This forum is for boaters both fresh and saltwater. Trolling / Tips / Tactics / Maintenance

Old 01-09-2008, 09:42 AM
swabbie

Default Lead Core Trolling Advice Needed

I'm looking to do more trolling in the Boston Harbor area this summer and figured I'd get a lead core setup so I can troll tubes down deep when the water warmes up. I have wire line but hate the stuff and want to try something differerent. The depths are rarely deeper than 20 feet.

Does any type of trolling reel work for lead core line? Can I use a level winder with it? I'm assuming you tie a flouro leader to the end of the lead core line right? Would I connect it with a barrel swivel and what type of knot works well with the lead line?

I know it's a lot of questions :) If anyone has any advice on fishing with lead core I would appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Lead Core Trolling Advice Needed

I'm not a big lead core fan,but I have a few suggestions that might help you out.Try monel instead of stainless it's more supple and gives a better feel.if that doesn't appeal to you consider this if you are in 20' why not use some of the divng plugs on the market.Off the top of my head stretch 25's and 27's eliminate the need for wire or lead.I've had good luck with rattle traps and similar lures and they allow you to use light tackle with braid or synthetic lines .And finally why not try planners,they allow you tou use your mono or braid set ups and in the water depths your fishing would be ideal.Any way you can call me any time and i would be glad to help.Regards vin
Old 01-14-2008, 11:41 PM
swabbie

I use Penn Senator 113h reel on most of my set ups. I would say forget the level winder. I use either mono backing or dacron 75 yards of 50 lb test. I use 100 yds of 45 lb lead core and attach to backing with a Albright knot. I tie on a 100lb barrel swivel to the lead core with another Albright knot. Then I use a flourocarbon leader 50lb test and tie that on again with an Albright knot. Finally I tie on a 100lb snap swivel with a Palomar knot.

You need to be in the bottom 3rd of the water column so troll slow(less than 5 knots) at 2O feet your should not need additional weight on your line. I use 1.5 oz rubber grip sinker 3 ft up my leader in deeper water. I let our 5 or 6 colors depending on tide and direction. It takes some trial and error.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:40 PM

Boston; I do a lot of trolling with tubes, and am very sucessfull with them, without using lead core down to 45 feet of water.
Here's my method.
I mainly use unweighted tubes, I believe they get better action with my way of doing things. I slide an egg sinker onto my main line, usually 1/2 or 3/4 oz is fine for those depths less than 25 feet. Tie on a barrel swivle then a 36 inch leader to the barrel on the tube. I also add a true turn stinger to the single at the end of the tube, thread the worm onto the hook head first, till it is impaled the length of the hook. Leave the remaining end to act as a tail. As the tube spins through the water this will whip around and In my opinion adds to the number of hits.
I have been trolling side by side or in a convoy of other boats, and along with my electric motor, 56 lb thrust on a 20' strarcraft, I am consistantly out fishing other folks. I have watched as others get 1 or 2 fish on a run, while I have boated as many as 15. These are the guys that have now scrapped their lead core and bought electrics.
Remember speed is the key, when you think you have slowed down enough, slow down some more.
The tube should have a slow lazy cork screw spin to it, check it at the side of the boat before letting it out completely.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:35 PM
swabbie

Thank you all for the advice. This is great and exactly what I needed. I'll probably get one line with lead core and then try the weighted mono as well. I don't have an electic motor but I have a 4 stroke which can usually run pretty slow.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:35 AM

I lead core troll and heres the way to do it. I lead for trout but any fish will do. I use a aba garcia ambassadeur reel with 12 lb lead. Now take off 3 ins of the lead put your fishing line where the lead was this takes time I use 6 lb line then tie your knot from the spool put three knots one on top middle and bottom. now put 25 ft of line on just reel on. now when you fish rember for each color out you are down app 5 ft. at 2.5 mph. you can use bigger lead core line and bigger line. I like to fish with my clicker on free spool, when the fish hits all I do is take off free spool and let the boat hook the fish but thats up to you to free spool. good luck and happy fishing.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:56 PM

I had lead core line on a few reels one season and hated it. I have gone to braid which allows me to get deeper faster than mono. I then use drails with a 36" floro leader to the bait. I have never used the tubes but have done this with shads and spoons. Last year I picked up some stretch 25's and they dive well without any weight. I may have to pick up some tubes and give them a try.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:17 PM

I think the key to the question is, he's using Tube N Worm, Completely differant from any other trolling tecnique. Tubes have no lip to impart action, using them compares to drifting an Eel, with just enough speed to get them to spin. Another tip I offer is when you store your tubes , roll them up in a circle to keep the wire bent with a lazy curve.