Wire Line - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boaters Forum This forum is for boaters both fresh and saltwater. Trolling / Tips / Tactics / Maintenance

Old 03-15-2007, 02:45 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default Wire Line

I've never used wire line before but plan on using it this year. Anyways, I'll be using a penn senator 114h reel. Again I've never used this type of set up before so how much will this cost me? Do I spool my whole reel with the wire or only some? Do I use a mono leader.....arent stripers "line sensative"? Also I plan on fishing some tubes with this wire line.....any color suggestions or other tips? Also I've heard that the tube is made to imitate an eel... but some people put a seaworm on the tube also. How unnatural can you get? I'm not doubting it cause I've seen it work before but what is a tube AND a worm supposed to imitate? Thanks for any help I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2007, 03:33 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Wire Line

Check this link https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=7669 then look around a bit, there's been alot written here about wire line trolling.. there are alot of variables.... after studying a little ask some more questions.. we will be glad to help.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:56 PM

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2007, 01:20 PM

I spooled up my penn 114h today.....cost my $25 dollars which is no problem....anyways any answers to the tube question....How does a RED tube with a SEAWORM supposed to imitate an eel or anything that is actually located in the ocean? Just wondering....there must be a scientific reason or something that triggers a response from the fish....I've seen other lures catch many fish before and these lures resemble nothing natural and look like nothing that I've ever seen before on land, sea or in the air.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:34 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Good question on the tube, I've seen it discussed many times, some say it looks like a big worm, some say it looks like a skinny eel... one thing EVERYONE aggres with, the darn things catch fish.... lots of them.. but the worm is a miust.. without it's virtualy useless.....

Troll that puppy as slow as you can, then go slower, some people like them to spin,i prefer to make them snake, dipping and diving from side to side, dont be afraid to experiment....
Old 03-16-2007, 06:01 PM

hey....if the tube works then that's all i need to know....was just curious why it was so effective.....i think it has something to do with a natural reaction for the fish.... seeing such an "attractive" bait...the fish has to respond it dosnt think twice...thats what i always thought but wanted to see everyone elses oppinion....thanks
Old 03-16-2007, 06:30 PM

i hate to keep this thread going so long...but is it ok to use a mono or flurocarbon leader and which poundage.....30#? which type of knot should i use to tie them together....thanks
Old 03-16-2007, 07:13 PM

I think the worm adds the element of a real, live, meaty scent trail that the tube seems to be pretty useless without. Last year I tried the Berkely Gulp worms on the tube instead of live with mixed results.