cumberland river/wolf creek damm - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Kentucky
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 01-26-2007, 09:42 AM

Default cumberland river/wolf creek damm

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....=2007701230347

Bad news for any of you guys here that like the fishing on or below lake cumberland. I just hope that it will not destroy the fisheries below and above the damm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Default Re: cumberland river/wolf creek damm

Thanks Bill
url is outdated.

A google news search provided a more permanant link.
http://www.wkrn.com/nashville/news/w...risk/73044.htm
"Wolf Creek Dam Deemed High Risk"
Outdoor damn Questions
Built more than 50 years ago, the Wolf Creek Dam is in danger. On Monday, the Army Corps of Engineers deems it a dam at high risk of structural failure . The dam holds back 101 miles of the Cumberland River, near Jamestown in south central Kentucky. Now, the dam is weakening and immediate action is being taken to stop what could be a catastrophic flood. The Wolf Creek Dam is located on the Cumberland River 190 miles up stream from Nashville. The dam has had problems for more than a year and last year, officials determined repairs would need to be made to the dam because of leaks in and around it.......
The water level was dropped and more testing was done on the dam. It is the results of those tests that caused officials to put the dam at high risk of failure.
Army Corps of Engineers Colonel Steve Roemhildt said, “We are not seeing conditions at the dam that eminent failure is possible, however there are things happening at the dam that we just don't know about.”
The dam is located in southern Kentucky and is the largest reservoir east of the Mississippi. Officials have already dropped the water level and Monday decided more water should be released from the dam to relieve pressure. They plan to drop the lake level another10 feet in an effort to take pressure off the dam. The water level is expected to remain at that level for at least the next year.
The Army Corps of Engineers hopes to award a contract for $300 million for a permanent repair. It has also started emergency repairs in order to help stop the leaks.
“We have initiated an emergency grouting program where we will pump in a lean concrete into the dam to fill the voids left by the on going erosion.”
Officials said even though the risk is high, there is no sign of an imminent failure. They said if the dam were to have a catastrophic failure, people along the Cumberland fromKentucky all the way through Middle Tennessee should be aware of what could happen and what steps to take to protect their homes.
Roemhildt said, “I want to caution everyone to be very familiar with the situation, be familiar with emergency planning and evacuation procedures.”
If the Wolf Creek Dam were to break, starting 101 miles up the Cumberland River in Jamestown, the town of Celina would likely be flooded first. Then, water would flow downstream toward Carthage and Old Hickory Lake impacting the towns of Gallatin, Hendersonville, Mt. Juliet and Old Hickory before flooding downtown Nashville's riverfront area, all the wayup to Fourth Avenue, by many estimates.
Emergency grouting is already underway, to keep the dam out of immediate harm's way.
Tennessee and Kentucky are practically built on limestone. The dam has a concrete core that was built on top of existing limestone. On top of the concrete core is Earth. The dam itself is fine. The problem is, water is seeping under the dam and eroding the limestone. Crews are plugging the holes with grout and hope it will counter the erosion until a permanent repair is made.
The Army Corps of Engineers said failure of the dam is not imminent, but the situation is seriousenough to put the Wolf Creek Dam at the top of the Corps' highest risk dams list. For more information and to comment on this story, visit www.outdoorstn.com .
Copyright 2007 by WKRN Nashville Tennessee. All Rights Reserved.
News Blog
Do you have dam questions?
by Jerry Barlar January 24, 2007
Here is a chance to get them answered.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will hold three local public meetings, one in Davidson County and two in Sumner County, to talk about the problems at Wolf Creek and Center Hill dams.
The two dams, both of which are upstream of Nashville, have been placed on a list of Corps-run dams that are at high risk of breaking. Wolf Creek Dam is on the Cumberland River and creates Lake Cumberland; Center Hill is on the Caney Fork River and creates Center Hill Lake.
Davidson County will host the first meeting at 6:30 p.m., Feb. 6 at MetroĆ¢€™s North Police Precinct at 2231 26th Ave. N.
The second meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m., Feb. 12 at Hendersonville City Hall, 101 Maple Drive N.
The third meeting will be held 6:30 p.m., Feb. 15 at Gallatin City Hall, 132 W. Main St.
All three public meetings will last until 8 p.m.
Corps officials will be on hand to show floodplain maps and address the recent announcement to lower the lake level at Wolf Creek Dam, in Russell County, Ky.
Do not panic
by Jerry Barlar
January 24, 2007
The Army Corps of Engineers says they have been receiving calls from people worrying about the Wolf Creek Dam. They say there is reason for concern but no need to panic. There is no signs the dam is in imminent danger. They do say there is a problem, and I saw the problem, but I also stood on the dam where the problem is. I did not see where the dam was ready to break. There are leaks at the base of the dam but they are filling those as I write this. It will take a long time to make permanent repairs, as long as seven years, but they say don't pack you belongings and move. There will be more town meetings do discuss the issue and address any questions and concerns people may have.
I will continue to follow this and write and air more as I hear it.
The dam problem
by Jerry Barlar January 22, 2007
The problem at Wolf Creek Dam could cause big problems if the whole thing were to go. That most likely won't happen but it could. The one sure thing that is going to happen is the economy in the communities around Lake Cumberland, which is behind the dam, is going to be terrible. Think about the people that make their living off the lake. The marinas, bait shops and untold others that survive from tourism. The lake will be kept below winter pool at a level 40 feet below sumer pool. That means marins and boat ramps will be useless. The lake will be that way for at least the rest of this year.
The environmental effects will be felt as far as Nashville and beyond. With the water being kept low, the temperture of the water will be warmer and there will be less oxygen. The Corps says there could be fish kills and problems with other aquatic life. These problems will be here without the dam failure.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:40 PM

Default Re: cumberland river/wolf creek damm

Not to worry. Lake Cumberland will be fine. As long as the "fix" they are trying to do at the dam works, the lake level can be brought back to summer pool while the rest of the repairs are done over a 5-7 year period. At least that's what I've heard. I doubt very seriously that Kentucky would let one of the USA's most awesome fisheries go down the drain(no pun intended). I plan on catching many nice trophy stripers this spring, summer and fall as we always have on Lake Cumberland.