adventures of a newbie - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boating Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boating Beginners Beginner Boating Questions and Answers

Old 06-07-2009, 09:22 AM
swabbie

Default adventures of a newbie

I thought it might be kind of interesting/amusing to chronicle my adventures this season. I've only been out in the new boat a few times and one small striper has been caught. I'm a complete greenhorn but I don't think of myself as a googan. I am respectful to others, keep my distance and I'm prepared to do what it takes to learn... and I understand that it will take some time.

My #1 fishing buddy is my 7 year old son but I'm going to try to have an adult friend with us as much as possible becasue I really need the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: adventures of a newbie

That's awesome. And I do think it's a good idea to have another adult on board just in case any emergency situation arises. Good luck this season
Old 06-07-2009, 09:33 AM
swabbie

first entry - Saturday, June 6 2009.

Well, we launched at the res in Salisbury, MA 2 hours before high tide. I wanted to get out and drift some mackeral chunks so we headed out the mouth. It was kind of nasty out there (for me) and I found it really unpleasant to rig up the rods and keep everyone fishing while controlling the boat... we were drifting fast and the waves were pretty big. My son had a fish on really quickly and it felt BIG. I was excited but we lost it close to the boat. It was a little to hairy out there for me so we headed back into the river.

I find drift fishing too difficult (even with a co-captain) so we anchored up in a popular spot. Withing 10 minutes a boat full of REAL googans blast in front of me not 6 feet off my bow... I can't believe they didn't grab my anchor line! We stayed for quite awhile but got nothing.

We moved up river a bit more to an area where I used to see guys catching big cows all the time when I had my old boat back in the early 90's. We anchored up in 2 different spots and casted plugs and soft plastics for awhile. Nothing. At this time I'm thinking that I made a mistake. I probably should have bought a bass boat (like I almost did) just because it was a much easier day for my son and I - we really had a handle on that type of fishing and I think he had a lot more fun. Not that I give up so easily... it's just that I want the kid to enjoy himself - he really loves to fish. I could have switched to saltwater fishing when he was 13 or so... oh well.

So then we tried to run out the mouth again. Wow, it was a lot worse in the afternoon! The boy loved the huge waves but I wasn't too excited about it LOL. Maybe if he wasn't with me I wouldn't have been as nervous. We went right back in.

Of course, taking out at the Salisbury res was a NIGHTMARE but that was no surprise.

So now you guys have an idea of how much of a newbie I really am

I'll add to this thread with short reports and pics from now on... I don't want to bore you guys but I'm hoping that after some months this thread might show some growth of me as a fisherman... I hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 07:55 PM
swabbie

June 7, 2009.

Well, we're rarely home on weekends because we camp but this weekend we were home and I wanted to get the boat out again today. Instead of the Merrimack we went to the Piscataqua. Talk about an enjoyable day on the water! Is was such a nice day, the conditions were great and I loved the area. We were able to catch some mackeral so I had really high hopes of getting some stripers but... nothing.

It was still a great day on the water.

Here's a couple of snaps.

macks in the livewell:

My little fishing buddy and competition for Roccus in 30 years!
(a Dad can dream )

My son Brent with a good bud of mine (who smoked us catching Mackeral)

Man, I hope this is my last post without a striper pic!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:53 PM
First Mate

Nice pics...

But if you want some action (at the very least schoolies) try some clams...They seem to work no matter what...I got a bunch of schoolies and four keepers on sunday with clams and a couple on bunker chunks...Chuming is they key...It'll no doubt bring them around and they seem to always hit a clam no matter what...Good luck and hope to see some more pics. coming
Old 06-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Striper Hunter

I too am a Newbie to the striped bass world and just like you looking forward to my first keeper.

I wish you luck on your next trip
Old 06-09-2009, 07:39 PM
swabbie

Thanks for the replies... and for the tips!

I plan to get out on the water on Friday so I should have more pics then... hopefully with a striper
Old 06-09-2009, 09:59 PM
First Mate

Great job.

I think you should keep this thread going through the summer. Post your stories and pics. You are bringing up the next generation right, and he's going to be quite a sportsman.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:52 PM
swabbie

Stay tuned...

I haven't been fishing since my last post (well, I got some brookies up north at my camp ) and we're heading out tomorrow!

I'll bring a camera and I hope to have a picture of something that swims.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:01 PM
swabbie

July 4, 2009

Well, we fished Great Bay with no luck. My son was casting a storm shad and had a fish on almost right away but he lost it... that was the only bite of the day. A good friend on mine came with us and he knows the bay well so I got to learn a little. We headed in early than planned because the storms were coming... I thought it would be best to get off the water.

It was great to get out on the boat - just being on the water and getting some fresh air was so nice after all this bad weather.

There can't possibly be another fisherman alive that's doing worse than me this season . I will keep trying.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:14 PM
swabbie

July 9, 2009

Well, we gave it another try. We tried for stripers in the bay and got nothing. We tried for some Flounder and almost lost my anchor. We tried some trolling out front but there were too many lobster pots. We tried for flounder again out front and nothing.

Oh well, I'm getting used to it

We'll keep at it

signed: hopeless newbie in NH
Old 07-15-2009, 11:38 AM

Keep at it jcv Learn from each trip, even if it's just learning what NOT to do. The fish gods will smile upon you one of these days.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:56 PM
swabbie

Thanks for the encouragement JakeF! I won't give up!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:57 PM
swabbie

July 16, 2009

OK, I wake up at 3:00 am and leave at 3:40 to pick up Paul at 4am. We get to the launch at 4:50 and the boat is in the water when 24/7 member Yettie shows up at 5:00. High tide at Dover Point is 7:20 so I think we're getting out there at a great time. Paul fished the bay a lot several years ago so at least there was one experienced guy on board

The plan was to hit some of Paul's favorite spots and throw plugs, he's had his best luck with topwater poppers on early mornings. There were some fish breaking the surface here and there so I was excited. I had a fish boil right next to my plug twice and then it slammed it... but it missed. That was the only striper action of the day.

We fished hard for several hours then stopped at the marina because the guys wanted coffee. After that I decided we should ride out front and try for some live bait. I didn't know if there were macks or pollock around but we gave it a shot.... nothing.

While we were out there we tried trolling some deep divers... nothing.

Then we jigged over some ledges and Yettie1 caught a little cod... that was the only fish of the day.

While the guys were getting coffee, I snapped a couple pics of Cold Shot at the dock.

And here's Yettie1 with his monster cod

I really need to get this skunk smell off my boat!