potomac river fletcher's/chain bridge i need help - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Chesapeake Bay
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Chesapeake Bay A sub-forum for the Chesapeake Bay and all its tributaries Rockfish Rocks.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:49 PM
The New Guy

Default Re: potomac river fletcher's/chain bridge i need help

i'll be up there with my kids this afternoon......i got plenty of herring to share if you have time to fish
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 02:46 PM

Hey Guys, been reading your posts for several weeks, I am a Striper addict myself, have been fishing chainbridge for about 10 years now, never caught a Striper there, but have caught plenty on hand tied flies, fishing around Mount Vernon. Went out yesterday all day, all that was there were Gizzard Shad, no herring. I dont understand how everyone talks about using 1-3 ounces weights as the river is so violent and flooded, no matter what the weight i use, it takes about 30 seconds for my cast to end, i cast complete up river 180 degrees let it sink and watch my rig fly by at super speed (no fish would ever be that quick to chase my rig) What am I doing wrong? I fish from the shore, use A St Croix Surf rod with Baitrunner, I get plenty of super long casts but it makes no difference, I cant get my rig to stay at the bottom what so ever, the current is just so powerful. Im fishing from the VA side, is that my first mistake? I realized yesterday that the DC side (fletchers) is all sunny and the Virginia side is all shade, because of all the trees hangin over the river, do you think my chances are better if I fish from the DC side? But what about the current? Its still so powerful, am I fishing to close to Chainbridge? Should I walk further away from the bridge and closer to Fletchers? Im losing it, as im sick of throwing away hundreds of dollars every spring at Chainbridge. Help a Striper brother out, Will update you all on my luck this Sunday.
keep he Stripers alive, catch and release
Joe
Old 04-26-2009, 03:39 PM

Hit the Potomac 2 weeks ago at Fletchers and had a blast. fished on that rainy cold Wednesday and had shad and herring action all day. 2 Stripers, one was 7lbs 8oz and the other I didn't even weigh. Numerous catfish of various sizes and then the mother took my bait. 43lb 8oz monster.

Fished again on Friday of the same week. Sunshine and 74 with shad and herring action all day and 1 catfish and zero stripers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S7303430.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	10475   Click image for larger version

Name:	S7303425.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	10476