We just might be in trouble (next year) - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News > Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws State game thief and Poacher hotlines / U.S. State Trailering Laws / Registration & Guidelines / Regulations / DNRs / Wildlife fish and game / and other govermental agencies / Park service Pass / Fees / News , fishing bills, conservation, regulations pertaining to the striped bass

Old 03-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Official Member

Default Re: We just might be in trouble (next year)

Hi Bluesman watch your mouth .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 07:21 PM
First Mate

Hey Bluesman, you need to get off your high horse and get real. I have fished Striper trolling with wire line and buck tail jigs, mono line with lures, mono line and eels, and with the live herring. I think that the sport fishermen should be able to use whatever they enjoy fishing with. Fishing is supposed to be fun! I don't believe it is the sportsmen that are depleting the herring or the striper population. What will be next, catch and release deer hunting????
Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 PM
First Mate

Hmmm....bluesman has a whopping 24 posts. Yeah, there's an opinion I value. Just another old man with another " I had to walk to school and it was uphill both ways!" story. Give me a break.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:49 AM
Official Member

i dont know about you guys but I go fishing to enjoy myself, sit back have some beer catch some herring in the scap when fishing is slow. If I wanted to work I would go do it to make money. so shut your mouth bluesman
Old 03-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner1 View Post
Hmmm....bluesman has a whopping 24 posts. Yeah, there's an opinion I value. Just another old man with another " I had to walk to school and it was uphill both ways!" story. Give me a break.

Read through his 24 posts.....most do nothing but tell everyone how great he is and how little everyone knows............helpful kind of guy...the type everyone is glad to have around to stir up trouble....
Old 03-26-2009, 09:37 AM
First Mate

cool ..hardbait fishermen against baiters..a few beers,o.k., argueing amoung us..priceless..like years ago at the ford plant at green island..ya had guys at the wall with herring,and guys right below them throwing plugs to the wall...couple snags between them,some choice words....can't we all just get along...if they ban herring theres alot more ways to get em
Old 03-26-2009, 11:09 AM
First Mate

I am going to blame it on the herring fisherman when I can't beat my biggest. ;)

Actually, there doesn't seem to be as many guys anchored with herring as there was a few years ago...maybe they just aren't there when we are. We seem to have far more problems with trollers (and I am a troller, although I would like to try herring some day if I can) that watch closely, come in fast when we catch a fish, and push us around with their bigger boats. Maybe it has something to do with there being more trollers out there than there used to be??? There is nothing more frustrating than a guy ripping plugs at 5mph coming up behind us while we are going 2mph and then pushing us (and all of our lures) into the ground/rocks/woody debris in shallow water. Not all trollers do this, it is just a select few.

As for the herring problems...they are surely big problems. I doubt that fishermen in the Hudson have much of an impact though, since stripers are going to eat many of them anyway and there are commercial boats out there capturing entire schools in nets all at once.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
There is nothing more frustrating than a guy ripping plugs at 5mph coming up behind us while we are going 2mph and then pushing us (and all of our lures) into the ground/rocks/woody debris in shallow water. Not all trollers do this, it is just a select few.
That's why you need to stock up on 4 Oz. egg sinkers.........if you can reach em with a good toss then they are too close.......
Old 03-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Captain Booty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
That's why you need to stock up on 4 Oz. egg sinkers.........if you can reach em with a good toss then they are too close.......
Thay work WELL from shore TOO!!!!!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perch Inc. View Post
Thay work WELL from shore TOO!!!!!

I've had a few tossed at me in the old days with the big boat.........now i am nimble enuff in my rowboat to stay out of trouble!!

It's tough cuz right above where you fish is one of the only reliable early spots to get a few herring and it's hard to jig herring (hopefully catch a couple) and manuever the boat as well.....
Old 03-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Dirty Hippie

Ship- I have seen you getting in and out of my boat...

I am not so sure "nimble" is the right word for it
Old 03-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversink Jimmy View Post
Ship- I have seen you getting in and out of my boat...

I am not so sure "nimble" is the right word for it

Listen....who has lost 25 lbs this winter and who has gained a bunch?............and it wasn't me whining after i climbed some little hill in Saratoga and called it hiking!!

Now........if there were a few Sierra Nevadas involved....i plead guilty.....

Speakin of Sierras......shouldn't be long now to we're catchin fish listenin to our beloved Yankees crush the competition this year
Old 03-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Dirty Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
Listen....who has lost 25 lbs this winter and who has gained a bunch?............and it wasn't me whining after i climbed some little hill in Saratoga and called it hiking!!
I am just "beefing up" in case my outboard dies again this Spring and I am forced to tough it out with Perch Inc. and the ruffians at Bruno's...

I have been eyeing that minivan bench seat up there for more than a year. I think I can finally take that 12yr old kid I see there all the time, now that I am back to my fighting weight...

As for Hadley Mountain- that is a beast... Friggin' peak is so high up there it makes it own weather. I've climbed Mt. Whitney in CA when I worked at Sequoia, and been up to 17,000ft on McKinley when I worked at Denali.

But that Hadley Mountain is a real bruiser... Toughest four miles of my life last weekend, Dude... I am leaving the case of beer in the car next time.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:24 AM
Official Member

there is another point to the whole herring issue too, they wan't to hike the price of a license, plus maybe add a saltwater license for anywhere below the troy dam (more $$$) and now take away the only way I have to save a little $$$ and still be able to fish. If I have to troll it would triple my fuel costs if not more. maybe just have to wait till peak season then and go for a week or so.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Member Reel Force

I bet bluesman smirks and makes snide comments when he walks past a father and son fishing with a worm and bobber. People go fishing to have fun and relax. Some find it fun to run and gun bass tournies...others like to spend time with friends and relax with a few beers while enjoying the outdoors...amazing how arrogant and judgmental some people are. He's just mad that the doctor slapped him in the face when he was born because he couldn't tell his head from his [email protected]#.