• Rookie Mistake:
  • Must-Have Lure:
  • Biggest Goof:
  1. Frank Daignault
  2. Alberto Knie
  3. Lou Tabory
  4. Tony Stetzko
  5. Mike Everin
Crazy Alberto= Line of Choice: In rocky areas, I'll go with 65-pound Sufix Performanc Braid with an 80-pound mono leader. People say it's overkill, but I've had too many big bass out-muscle me with lighter line.

#32 ·
I used to use 18# mono. I wanted to give braid a try and Power pro suggests maintaining the same line diameter that you would normally use in mono. So I used 80# and have been using it for the last 3 years. This stuff is great! I have never lost a fish or broken my line for any reason other than purposely cutting because I was hopelessly caught in the rocks. I use a swivel snap as a sinker slide so I dont worry about the line cutting through. Even when your caught in the rocks this thing is so tough that i have managed to pull my line free and depending on what got stuck come back with either a bent hook or snap(minus the weight of course). I have also tried it on a spinning setup and was totally disappointed. It just doesnt cast well at all.

#33 ·
I use 20lb trilene big game on my canal swimbait rod and I JUST CAUGHT 2 FISH THE OTHER DAY ONE 40" AND THE OTHER WAS 43".:banana: tALK ABOUT A BATTLE. MY JIG ROD IS LOADED WITH 25LB BIG GAME FOR BUCKTAILS AND SUCH 3 TO 4 OZ.. I use 30lb power pro on my spinning set up. This all works for me. My 2cents.

#46 ·
Do you still use your surfmaster? I bought one second hand in the late 50's I still have it, I think it was from the 40's because I was the 4th owner. I still have it have not used it since the mid 60's. Great reel. Can you still get parts for it? I might use it this spring.

#35 ·
30-50# power pro is okay but there-in lies problems with wind loops as i have dealt with from time to time. 65# power pro is by far the best tying diameter when tying to heavy leader. some will say (zim, 80# 2ft supposed shock leader?) i know, you;ve had problems tying to heavy leader. and it is mostly preference but i can take a 12# bluefish (not that i want one) and catapult him airborn 15 feet and not have a line snap or knot fail. this is tackle evaluation and no bs. i fish extreme for big fish and VERY RARELY lose any to line or knot issues - unless in rocks or structure like when i chuck jigs/plugs or bait into pilings.

#37 ·
Picking Fishing line is like choosing a woman...you want them suple and thin...I like 20 lbs. power pro for plugging...it has 8 lbs. diamiter and you won't get out muscled by any fish...I have found 1 great flourocarbon...Yazuri Hybrid...it is very limp and it doesn't retain memory, and it's cheap.
Oh by the way the striper fishing in the Raritan has been GREAT!:a_goodjob:

#38 ·
I use Power Pro braided line on all my rods on my light tackle I use 20lb with a 30 lb fluorocarbon leader, and my heavier rods I use 50lb with a 50 lb fluorocarbon leader. I fished with Berkley big game for 20 yrs, but I will never fish with mono again. I cast much farther with braid than I do with mono, the sensitivity with braid is much better than mono, the baits work much better in the water than with mono, its just better than mono all the way around for me.

#40 ·
Boat rods: Conventional 50lb Suffix Tri-tanium plus
Spinning 30lb Suffix Tri-tanium plus
Surf rods: Chunkin' 30lb Suffix Tri-tanium plus
Pluggin Suffix Performance Braid
All of which are topped with flourocarbon leaders

I don't use braid on my boat rods because I go on party boats and it will reak havoc if you get tangled with someone else.

#43 ·
garbage. it does not last very long. i stuck with it for a while in the 17# line with conventionals but it dissappointed me. live and learn. it's why we are here for you guys. live vicariously thru me and you'll be a bum with class!
now lets see how long this takes?

#51 ·
Storm said:
Just curious when using a flurocarbon leader for plugging, do most people tie the leader directly to the lure, or do they use a small snap swivel?
I like to tie direct myself with a loop knot when using only a couple or two plugs. But I always use the swivels on metal lips and tins. Or when lazy and need a teaser.

#52 ·
so the feel i'm getting is most of you use braided line. just curious as to why?
anyone old fashioned out there using mono? if so what poundage are ya using?
i try to stick around 25-30 but when i go to fill the spool i'm always told to use 15-20 by the shops.... any word on why's that?

fishing the jersey surf and the occasional party/charter boat trips and i interchange the reels. they're spinning if that makes a difference.
thanks for any input:smiliegrd:

#53 ·
Braid = distance - structure - small diameter - hence lighter reel - sensitivity to the plug. - jigging. More line when a fish hits at 100 yards and runs another 100. Doesnt absorb water.
Other guys have their own reasons. Fireline has some abrasian resistence around rocks.
I dont like wind knots. When they're deep in the spool at night and go undetected say, bye - bye to that beautiful plug. Watch a grown man cry.

I always loved mono from the time I first started bait fishing still do - 20 pound ande. I sometimes use it on the penn 706 and 04s
Nice to have some stretch Sometimes. I just check the leader for chaffing often.
Some guys excell at different stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.