• Rookie Mistake:
  • Must-Have Lure:
  • Biggest Goof:
  1. Frank Daignault
  2. Alberto Knie
  3. Lou Tabory
  4. Tony Stetzko
  5. Mike Everin
Crazy Alberto= Line of Choice: In rocky areas, I'll go with 65-pound Sufix Performanc Braid with an 80-pound mono leader. People say it's overkill, but I've had too many big bass out-muscle me with lighter line.

#3 ·
Definitely! If there was only one right way we'd all know how to do it and sites like this wouldn't exist.

Something else to keep in mind is that a lot of the Pros are sponsered and are not about to kill the golden goose.

#9 ·
With braid, I've used up to 65# line. On those rocks in RI, it's worth it. Ya can't have enough strength, when it come to your line.
I've used 80# braid, briefly, with 70# fluorocarbon. I realize that I don't need that much. wave.gif

#13 ·
Let's start by making sure we are discussing the same thing. To me a shockleader runs from the rig/lure up to the tip, (with the "drop" you use for casting), down the rod and then wraps the spool at least 5 times. Any line that falls short of wrapping the spool is not a "shockleader."

My opinion is that I think the term "shockleader" is a misnomer; in a properly executed high energy cast there is no "shock" per-se, the power application is a smooth progression.

My position is that the rod is an incredible absorber of energy .... the thought that one must rely on a heavy length of stretchy mono to "protect" the rod from the "shock" of the cast seems nonsensical to me. This even makes less sense when one realizes that among all the surf anglers out there only a small minority that are actually fully loading their rods and "hitting" the cast for maximum advantage (the point where the rod could actually be overstressed) . . .

For me, I want to deliver the maximum energy to the sinker when I cast; introducing another component into the process that saps energy by stretching does not compute for me. My distance fishing set-ups all are running 20lb Sufix braid running line and between 65lb - 100lb braid casting leaders.

#17 ·
Gfd said:
Anyone using Suffix? What do you think of it.I'm currently using Fireline & I'm happy with it but I'm hearing alot of talk about suffix. Any input would be apreciated
Suffix is great line IMO.
The 15 and 20 pound fireline is excellent around smaller rocks.
Doesn't cast as far as powerpro but no wind knots with it.

#18 ·
i dont consider myself a surfmaster, however i sure do put in some seroius time wandering along the atlantic coast from may to november casting anything and everything into the depths (or shallows) looking for the one. a fellow surf rat turned me on to fire line last year...20lb. by far my new favorite. has not failed me yet.

#20 ·
been using a light firewire overhere, going to go back to mono, as some fell in my lap. going to use a 15lb test, nothing fancy, just wondering, what with all the mega-lines? i cast off the beach, using about a 7-8 footer, get out as far as i need, and have yet to lose a fish due to line break. i see guys out here from time to time, with what i call "montauk" poles, i imagine, running 65lb or so line, wondering how i can cast as far, if not farther than them, and hook one in, and beach it. guess its all in the technique? anyway, last year, gave up on the braid, was running 20lb or so, but being friendly to those who also dive, and recreate in the same waters i fish, i'll give the old mono a try again, and at least if someone gets tangled, they wont need a laser sharp, or serated knife to cut free. i've seen how bad someone can get cut up, in a bad tangle, without a knife.

well i guess what i'm getting at, i'm just curious, what exactly are you gentleman fishing for with the mega line? are you going from the beach or boat? if breakage is a problem, let up on the drag. i've been able to grab what ever i hook, and get 'em ashore with my basic, yet effective setup, be it blues, stripers, or the ocassional fluke. not saying i've caught record size fish, but hold my own, plenty of keepers.

also just curious, being a recreational fisher here, staeling any moment i can to hit the water after work, as the sun goes down, just wondering if anyone also, as i do, flatten the barbs on their rigs, as not to tear up the shorties, minimize damage, and hope to get them next year, or later in the season? i was taught this by an "old timer," and seems to make sense to me.

first time posting, just want to get a feel for who is out there.
thank you.
-jon

#21 ·
Welcome to the board, Jonnoboy.

I use 30# test Big Game, because where I fish there are rocks, and current. I get into fish over 30 inches consistantly, and need the beefed up line.

A fish, be it striper or blue, in the current of the Cape Cod Canal, is exponentially putting far more strain on the line than it's weight or pull on a beach, or from a boat.

When you factor in the rocks....No contest. I fully expect to breakoff many times this year without a fish on. It is the nature of my environment.

I hope that helps.

#22 ·
Ditto,, in this regard, WHERE you're fishing is the key. You can bring in some nice size fish on 15lb mono on a sandy beach all day long and never have a problem. Try that same line in a spot where the fish is running the line over rocks and razor sharp mussels and you'll find out pretty quick why many opt for heavier line. thumbsup.gif

#23 ·
i like the 20lb fireline mostly because it has never twisted on me..no memory whatsoever,and its small diameter to strength ratio. very thin to me means less visibility and the ability to spool plenty on the reel for when the battle of a lifetime comes..i was almost spooled once. i also seem to get more distance out of my rig when i need it with the fireline. i still use mono on some set ups, but mostly braid...i can say though a baicast reel birds nest with braid really sucks the big bone.

#24 ·
Because I fish a beach that has many rock piles nearby I use #50lb power pro line.I tried using 20 lb power pro but after fighting several large fish and finding my line so tight on the reel that it would not cast I finnaly went up to the 50lb test. The only problem we experience with the braided lines is that we use sliding sinker rigs fishing cut bait and the braided lines cut right through the plastic line guide on the sinker rig.

#26 ·
smelt1 said:
rigs fishing cut bait and the braided lines cut right through the plastic line guide on the sinker rig.
Try using the nylon or ceramic fishfinders ( sinkerslides ) especially made for braid. www.srmo.com
After a season using crystal fireline and sufix performance braid Im sold on both. And I've always been a mono guy

#27 ·
I use braid on everything I cast & retrieve. 20# for live eel & small lure (rebels & such), 30# for larger plugs using spinning gear (20 cuts my finger if I throw heavy stuff), 65# for rigged eels & big bats. The reason for 65# is it doesn't dig into the spool when I hook a big cow. Been there, done that, not fun, wave bye bye. I use 50# fluorocarbon leaders on everything with 130# spro swivels & gamakatsu hooks.
When I sling meat I use 25 stren high impact because I've been using it forever & that's what comes out of my mouth when I buy line. I like conventional reels for bait, I feel like I have better control when hooked up & it's easier to get long casts. Right now my favorite is an Ambassadeur 7000 Big Game with the 5 to 1 gear ratio because it lays the line on the spool for me & I'm getting lazy in my old age. I used to use a squidder, plastic spool.
As far as knowing things, I fish with a guy who's 75 years old, been fishing Cape Cod for 55 years & probably one of the 10 best striper fishermen ever. Not me, him. He's fished with everyone who is anyone & he puts me to bed every morning we leave the beach together. He says quite often "just when I thought I had these fish figured out ..." to which I chime in "great, what shot do I have". Fish hard in the right spots & they will show.
Tight lines Richie

#28 ·
For bait I use 20# cajun line (co-polymer) and for lures I am using 50# Spiderwire. I have had good luck with the mono and the spiderwire seems good for me also ...although this is the first time I have used braid....I havent had any wind knots so far. I must add that I dont really fish rocky places , if I did I would probably go up to 25 or 30 on the mono. I have also never used a shockleader.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.