Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

What makes a good striped bass fisherman

21K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  Butcha 
#1 ·
After concluding a "how to" seminar at a local rod and gun club last year,I concluded with a Q&A session,a eager young angler in the room asked"what makes a good striped bass fisherman?" seeing as I had just done a 1 1/2 hour long presentation on live bait and wire line fishing,, I was taken by surprise and had to think about it for a few seconds,here is the just of my reply:

In my opinion,a good striper fisherman has an unabated love for striped bass and anything to do with them,he must think about them as a resource to be shared with others and future generations,he(or she,I dont want to leave the gals out here)must put in time studying their habits and how they change with the seasons,he(or she)should share his(or her) findings with others,this is a good way to expand knowledge,not necessarily where he(or she) fishes but tactics etc.,I told him that a good striped bass fisherman fishes whenever he(or she) can,adapts to local situations,changes his or her tactics to suit conditions at that time,a good striped bass fisherman will persist when others give up.
I told him that a good striped bass fisherman never stops learning....never ever!
A good striped bass fisherman does not look down at others that pursue fish of a less lofty status,and that the true measure of a good striped bass fisherman is a knack of always finding the fish,he (or she) may not always get the biggest or the most fish,that is up to the "lucky" fisherman,who more than likely will seldom repeat the act,,but the ability to find fish night after night season after season year after year is the true measure of a good striper fisherman...

This is not the whole "speech" but an abbreviated version,so,guys and gals,in your opinion... What makes a good striped bass fisherman?????

Rock

See less See more
#29 ·
Roccus said:
A good striped bass fisherman does not look down at others that pursue fish of a less lofty status,and that the true measure of a good striped bass fisherman is a knack of always finding the fish,he (or she) may not always get the biggest or the most fish,that is up to the "lucky" fisherman,who more than likely will seldom repeat the act,,but the ability to find fish night after night season after season year after year is the true measure of a good striper fisherman...
Well said roc -

#30 ·
Catching a fish without injuring yourself, someone else or the fish.
Putting your family priorities and responsibilities first.
Keeping a low profile, an open mind, a closed mouth, a soft touch and a quiet ear.
Not sure if these attributes will make you a good striper fisherman but it certainly would make me enjoy fishing with you.

#31 ·
Now everyone is going to have an different opion on what makes a good Striper fisherman. And I agree with all of the above. Here's my 2 cents lol

Each day is like a new blank canvas, conditions change from day to day and even if you have to similar weather days the tides are a bit later the following day so there can never be the exact same conditions. So when I get to my spot I anyalize the conditions, look for bait, a splash, birds, wind, current is and one else catching and if so what are they doing? Time of year what have a caught here before and on what lure or bait?

So what makes a good Striper Fisherman adaptability, being able to use several different methods or lures to match the hatch and conditions. Being prepared and having the right tackle. Intel on the area that they are working and a good network of friends to talk about stragady and what's working. I find this is the key to finding the who what when why and where to catching Stripers. Respecting the sport and the fish and most of all having fun doing this. Your not always going to come back with a fish or the right fish but it's all a learning curve I'm still learning and am open to new ideas.
:flyfish:

#32 ·
lures and baits aside, if your good,its a given.If your good, ya gotta catch fish,like roc says they dont gotta be monsters.havin the fish is 1st, scoutin, and timing are some of the keys,,,,,hey but ya gotta catch fish, not everytime,,,but most of the time lol:icon_biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.