Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Essentials for the surf - Terminal tackle - What to purchase with the first 50 bucks.

46K views 68 replies 37 participants last post by  clgriffith 
#1 ·
PART 1

For beginners
an approach to the surf

Ok Im not sure how this thread will evolve but it is designed for those of you who are brand spankin
new and rely on your buddies or someone else to rig up for you.
Maybe its a generational thing but Ive seen too many guys show up to fish and say ok now what?
I spent an entire outing rerigging for a group of my brothers friends who decided they wanted to go
fishing with me.
Im old school and i expect you to be self sufficient.
All you need to know and be prepared is all here.
So having said that we will not follow anyone around with wet naps.

Remember to watch and observe others if you want to learn.
See one - do one - teach one.
This will apply to just about every phase of your learning curve.

First. Asssuming you have a sturdy saltwater rod and reel. Med to heavy action rod capable of
holding 17 to 40 pound monofilament test and a reel capable of holding 2 to 300 yards
of 20 lb. monofilament
line.

Now. Terminal tackle.
A few packages of barrel swivels 80 to 130 pound test.
Automotive tire Font Rim Eyewear Jewellery

Package of three way swivels
Font Circle Pattern Symbol Symmetry
Natural material Creative arts Material property Jewellery Metal

Dozen or so sinker slides aka fishfinders
Font Fashion accessory Twig Drawing Circle
Gesture Liquid Font Jewellery Art

Hooks. 4/0 to 10/0 sizes Several in various styles and sizes.
Baitholders. Octopus style Live bait and or circle hooks.
Rectangle Eyelash Silver Font Eyewear

The 0 means Ocean

A wheel of monofilament leader material in 30 to 50 pound test.
Liquid Fluid Bottle cap Water Font

Flourocarbon is pricey and usually only necessary in super clear water

bank Sinkers. lead in sizes 2 ounce to 8 ounces.
Liquid Glass Fashion accessory Jewellery Body jewelry

This will cover most of your needs.
You will need extras if your getting hung up around rocks.
The price of lead sinkers has gone up astronomically.

Head lamp
Pliers / wire cutters
Hook extractor
These are essential to your tackle box.

You will soon want to be mobile and need to travel light with a shoulder bag.
next is what lures can you buy with just 50 bucks.

See less See more
#31 ·
Re: Terminal tackle - What to purchase with the first 50 bucks.

Another important piece of equipment that is essential for fishing daylight fishing is polarized sunglasses.
It makes it that much easier to spot baitfish and even see the terrain floor you will be wading in. And obviously help protect your eyes from harmful uv rays.
Sunscreen and bug spray are no brainers right?

#32 ·

"6 and 9 inch Inch storm shads bunker pattern
6", 7/8 oz., 4 per pack $4.
9", 2 3/4 oz., 1 per pack $4

Popping plugs or surface lures are most effective during low light conditions
such as dawn or dusk.
Metal lures, such as Kastmasters or Hopkins are best during bright sunlight
conditions.
Swimming lures, both shallow swimmers and deep divers work best during
the day when fish are less likely to come to the surface to feed and at
night when they are close to the bottom and less active.
Bucktail Jigs and eel lures like the sluggo and tube lures take fish
during both day and night. These should be worked along the bottom
at an extremely slow retrieve even better when a piece of pork rind or
squid strip is added to the hook."
I'm confused about these two statements.

The first says that the storm shads surface lures would be best used for low light (night or morning)

But then the second says that during the night, the stripers are more likely to be at the bottom, not the surface.

My question is, so why not just fish on the bottom at night using another method, rather than using a storm shad surface lure @ night? The bolded statements seem to be contradictory, what am I missing here?

#33 ·

"6 and 9 inch Inch storm shads bunker pattern
6", 7/8 oz., 4 per pack $4.
9", 2 3/4 oz., 1 per pack $4

Popping plugs or surface lures are most effective during low light conditions
such as dawn or dusk.
Metal lures, such as Kastmasters or Hopkins are best during bright sunlight
conditions.
Swimming lures, both shallow swimmers and deep divers work best during
the day when fish are less likely to come to the surface to feed and at
night when they are close to the bottom and less active.
Bucktail Jigs and eel lures like the sluggo and tube lures take fish
during both day and night. These should be worked along the bottom
at an extremely slow retrieve even better when a piece of pork rind or
squid strip is added to the hook."

I'm confused about these two statements.

The first says that the storm shads surface lures would be best used for low light (night or morning)

But then the second says that during the night, the stripers are more likely to be at the bottom, not the surface.

My question is, so why not just fish on the bottom at night using another method, rather than using a storm shad surface lure @ night? The bolded statements seem to be contradictory, what am I missing here?
Your taking this to literal man! Experiment for yourself, get an idea from this then try all of these yourself. Don't just use one method when you fishing change it up, then you will be successful.

#36 ·

Great thread going here.
One thing I see many do not buy or use is vinyl tubing/hook protector. The tubing helps protect the point and helps keep down hook rash on your lures. You can buy this online or at many stores like Lowes/HD, local hardware and tackle for a couple bucks for several ft.. I even use some wider stuff to cover some of my lures

#37 ·

Quantabularity said:
The storm shads I'm referring to aren't surface lures. They are resin lures and swim in the middle or the lower part of the water column. Good idea to use them around the rocks or structure where they mimic baby black fish, and weakies.

#40 ·

I gotta agree this is a great thread that is loaded with info. However I must say when it comes to hooks, it's a zero and not the letter O, and it has to do with sizing. When it comes to hook size the bigger the # the smaller the hook. A size 32 hook is the smallest while a size 19/0 is the largest. So from smallest to largest the sizing would go something like this: 32, 30, 28,.....2, 1, 1/0, 2/0,.....19/0. The zero is named aught. It's basically the same principals as sizing wire guage. Aught in fishing hooks is not specific to thickness alone, it seems to define the gap for the most part. thumbsup.gif

#41 ·

Thanks to Striperjim for posting this thread. It's very, very informative. I have a few of the lures pictured, and will eventually add the remainder to my current collection. I had been wondering about what kind of bag would be good to carry lures to the water (I currently use a back back with Plano 3700 boxes to store everything) which works, but the Aquaskinsz Lure bag with lure tubes pictured in the thread is what I've been looking for. Thanks again. Keep up the good work. Another mystery resolved...

#42 ·

How big should the rod be? I have a 10' rod I normally use for tog fishing but today I saw a guy at Indian River Inlet with I think a 5-6' rod throwing a plug into the inlet and hook a nice big 25-30" striper within 10 minutes. Also my saltwater mainly consists of sinkers and hooks, but I do have a couple 1/2 ounce diamond sinkers and a couple spoons with treble hooks. Can those be good with striper fishing? I want to expand my fishing knowledge.

Also this would be from jetties/shorelines as I don't have a boat. :p

#44 ·
This is a pretty good thread.
I am new the VABeach area and have never fished saltwater before. I have done some freshwater Hybrid fishing before but thats about it. I am wanting to get into striper fishing soon. I have a 9 foot MH pole, that I think will do the trick, however I am going to have to buy a new real, i just dont think my real has enough ass in it to catch stripers.

I think I will probably be doing my fishing from a boat.

#47 ·
A Bass Pro shops Tourney Special.
its a 9 foot, 2 piece (gay), MH

I got it just to beat against the rocks from the shore while I was hybrid fishing underneath the damn. I have a few other MH rods that are shorter. Varying qualities. 1 of them is 6'6" I use it for running spooks on top of the water when large mouth fishing.. :flyfish:

#49 ·
One piece rods hold up better in my experience. I however knew I would not use that pole that much.. maybe a couple times a year when I bought it. The taking apart and putting back together causes wear. With a one piece you dont have that, it never comes apart even if you have a big one on the line.

Just my thoughts, but to each is their own.

#51 ·
fishtaco said:
the 1/0 the 0 in hooks means ocean..
my dumb friends are saying the 0 means odd
and the other says it means old or somthing like that
Not to get into any more debates on this subject (as we have done in the past.)

I will attempt to clear up the confusion on the 0 in aught or ought. The letter aught simply means zero. Nothing nada. Hook manufacturers dont have a set practice or standardized measurement that is why it is not uncommon to find several different hook companies with different sizes on the same 7/0 (example) hook. Some manufactures will refer to it as 7 aught and others a 7 oh hook.
The o meaning Ocean was derived from early 20th century reel manufacturers and it was and is the proper conveyence of the meaning when referring to fishing gear. Although not used at all or used improperly by many when referring to hook and or reel sizes.
Read below for an understanding of how it was used within the reel industry. For furthur research google some information on the origins of hook sizes and their meanings - they are confusing and often times ambiguous.

The following will shed some light on the o system of Ocean

"We need to get one piece of terminology straight, the /0 system. When people talk about salt water reel sizes they talk in terms of 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, 4/0, 6/0, 9/0, 10/0, 12/0, 13/0, 14/0, 15/0, 16/0, 18/0 & 20/0. The /0 on the end of these terms seems to have been made up for a reason which was shortly thereafter forgotten and has remained shrouded in mystery for many years. It simply meant "OCEAN" or reels built primarily for saltwater use. Did all companies make their reels in all these /0 sizes? No, many companies made only smaller reels and many companies made only larger reels. Only a few companies made reels in most sizes. Were the /0 sizes used as a universal line capacity measurement agreed upon throughout the industry? No, although most companies' reels were quite similar in size it is not uncommon to find companies whose reels of the same /0 size did not have the same dimensions or line capacity. Even within the same companies the /0 size would change over the course of a few years. Not all companies used the /0 system to size their reels".
Click on the link below to big game manufacturers.
http://www.antiquefishingreels.com/

#52 ·
Hi All - I'm a beginner and curious if the tackle mentioned in Parts 1 and 2 also apply to fishing from a boat instead of the surf. Anything else besides what was mentioned from a boat... for a beginer just to get out there? Thanks!

Also, if Stripers are notcurnal is it completely pointless to head out in the middle of the day??

:flyfish:

#53 ·
Stripers feed all day long when the water temp is right,..remember they are on a migration so they are fueling as they go if the opportunity to feed is there they will eat. Warm water makes them much more lethargic feeders, but when the water temp is between lets say 56-65 degrees they will feed regularly. tide phase can also play a role as to when they feed . That is why most guys who fish regular will keep a log of everything to repeat patterns found through out the year. The most essential thing you need to fish striped bass is time on the water. There is no set rig, bait, or technique that works all the time . You need to figure out that for your home waters by putting your time in.. When you do figure it out you will be able to catch a lot more fish on a regular basis. My suggestion for a newbie is to pay for a good charter in season for stripers. The wealth of knowledge you will gain is well worth the cost. I have fished striped bass for 25 yrs and I am still learning new things. Especially when I fish other areas of the east coast with charters that come highly recommended.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

Fish Whisperer

#54 ·
PART 1

For beginners
an approach to the surf

Ok Im not sure how this thread will evolve but it is designed for those of you who are brand spankin
new and rely on your buddies or someone else to rig up for you.
Maybe its a generational thing but Ive seen too many guys show up to fish and say ok now what?
I spent an entire outing rerigging for a group of my brothers friends who decided they wanted to go
fishing with me.
Im old school and i expect you to be self sufficient.
All you need to know and be prepared is all here.
So having said that we will not follow anyone around with wet naps.

Remember to watch and observe others if you want to learn.
See one - do one - teach one.
This will apply to just about every phase of your learning curve.

First. Asssuming you have a sturdy saltwater rod and reel. Med to heavy action rod capable of
holding 17 to 40 pound monofilament test and a reel capable of holding 2 to 300 yards
of 20 lb. monofilament
line.

Now. Terminal tackle.
A few packages of barrel swivels 80 to 130 pound test.
View attachment 5864
Package of three way swivels
View attachment 5861 View attachment 5863
Dozen or so sinker slides aka fishfinders
View attachment 5860 View attachment 5866
Hooks. 4/0 to 10/0 sizes Several in various styles and sizes.
Baitholders. Octopus style Live bait and or circle hooks.
View attachment 5865
The 0 means Ocean

A wheel of monofilament leader material in 30 to 50 pound test.
View attachment 5867
Flourocarbon is pricey and usually only necessary in super clear water

bank Sinkers. lead in sizes 2 ounce to 8 ounces.
View attachment 5868
This will cover most of your needs.
You will need extras if your getting hung up around rocks.
The price of lead sinkers has gone up astronomically.

Head lamp
Pliers / wire cutters
Hook extractor
These are essential to your tackle box.

You will soon want to be mobile and need to travel light with a shoulder bag.
next is what lures can you buy with just 50 bucks.
i have an ugly stick rod/reel combo and a calypso beach comber rod with an okuma elite 40 reel. will these work. what else do i need. i have swivels but the last time i used this brand (fin strike) the eel and or fish brooke it in half before i felt the bite. what else do i need. does flourocarbon or mono work better for leaders. what lb test should i put on the ugly stick for fishing from a rod holder. what should i put on the beach comber for casting for stripers and blues with eels and or lures??confused.gif

#55 ·
i have an ugly stick rod/reel combo and a calypso beach comber rod with an okuma elite 40 reel. will these work. what else do i need. i have swivels but the last time i used this brand (fin strike) the eel and or fish brooke it in half before i felt the bite. what else do i need. does flourocarbon or mono work better for leaders. what lb test should i put on the ugly stick for fishing from a rod holder. what should i put on the beach comber for casting for stripers and blues with eels and or lures?
Your beachcomber and okuma will probably work for your lures if its rated accordingly and the ugly stick combo can work for your bait for now until you get some more experience and then upgrade. Look at the ratings on the rod, It should say 1 to 3 ounces or 2 to 6 ounces or 17 to 30 pound test, etc, etc.
Use mono for leader material for now - 20 pound mono should suit you just fine for both applications and will teach you how to use your drag properly. get some more experience before you go to braided line or spend a fortune, braided line can cut your fingers to the bone.. keep it simple and have fun.

#58 ·
I use 20 pound fireline all the time. I usually have a few reels spooled with 20 and 40 pound braids as well as one spooled with 20 pound mono.
Use a wheel of fluorocarbon for leader material.

#60 ·
The First time you fish on a wet night and throw anything over 4 oz. you will know why you want the cannon. I have taken braid through the index finger it sucks. Another thing that I do is cover my casting finger with super glue. It hardens and creates a good barrier between the skin and the braid. You can carry it with you and re apply as needed it generally will dry in less than a minute.

#62 ·
i've seen em in one of two shops in so. jersey. i forgot which one for sure but in seaside one shop had them. you can google it and see what comes up. not sure why but, they were not a great seller but braid was not as popular back then as now. i don't baitfish but in the spring like in a week or two and would not be without it as they have been on my 11footers for a good ten years or so. if all else fails, tape,,,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.