Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Striper Fishing with eels

44K views 52 replies 33 participants last post by  Miss Loretta Fishing 
#1 ·
#28 ·
i have a question about eel fishing as well.....today i was out with eels, and people all around our boat are catching BIG STRIPERS, EXCEPT US.....we had em rigged with and without weights without even getting a bite while the guy twenty yards behind us hooks up with doubles....is it just unlucky or what????????????????

#31 ·
Eels Bigger the better.

We fish with eels all the time. The bigger the eel the better we like it. We have caught a 90 lb 48 lb and various other size cobia's using them. The best way I find to handle them is to use a rag. It gives better traction than the bare hands. I also use a rag to hold the bigger fish while I remove the hook. As for fishing with eels we only use circle hooks. They are great. We fish the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel , Cape Charles and a few favorite spots for Cobia and Striper. We do use alot of different baits but we have found for Cobia - eels work great. You just have to know where to set up. Tight lines

#34 ·
. Usually you get a strike on the way down. Once the fish has taken the bait just let it pull the rod down and start reeling in. Ofcourse we have circle hooks on. Usually the hook sets in the side of the mouth. It can set on the bottom but keep the line tight. Sometimes we hold it off the bottom. Just need to see what works.

#36 ·
I received a note from this gentleman about Roccus the starter of this thread.

Leo said:
I saw the article from my old friend Joe Brotz on the site. He is
a very serious fisherman. In the striper world, people should be honored
to ever meet this person. He is only one of two best Eel men on earth. Have not spoken to him in about 8 to 10 years.
I would like to meet the other eelman myself.

#40 ·
I used to go with my buddy in the Hudson River. We would drift through 18 to 20 ft. of water and set a slip bobber, the biggest ones we could buy or the eels would pull them under, at 17 ft. with an egg sinker. We had cows every time we went using this method. The slip bobbers are black on the bottom, green on top and about a foot long.

#42 ·
ouch!!!

Unfortunately the best way I found to handle these devils from tangling up into a furious ball onto your leader is to break their backs. hold the eel with a towel or piece of burlap and whack it over the railing a few times, breaking its back and slowing it down. i think they are worth the $1.75 price for 2 reasons, they are a live bait, and a very hearty bait, an eel with a broken back will stay alive for hours, and once you hook them on the hook they dont fall off.

#43 ·
if your fishing from the beach and don't want them to tangle get a bucket of water from the surf and put your eels in it. this way they acclimate to the water temperature and wont be shocked when you toss em in. no need to break their back as you want to retrieve them in their most natural swimming motion. if you are just tossing them out and leaving them there you are not fishing them productively.

#45 ·
if fishing from the shore what size hook is good and should i use a circle or j hook.

second and most important question. i've never used eels so how would i go about carrying them if i'm covering water from the surf. i know about the two 5 gallon bucket deal but that's a bit big while combing the beach. any tips

#46 ·
nestriperfisher said:
if fishing from the shore what size hook is good and should i use a circle or j hook.
second and most important question. i've never used eels so how would i go about carrying them if i'm covering water from the surf. i know about the two 5 gallon bucket deal but that's a bit big while combing the beach. any tips
I use a 5/0 non circle hook.
You can use individual zip lock baggies in your pack. Or you can get an eel mesh bag and tie it to your waders or carry a minnow bucket.

#50 ·
I have a further question regarding eels. LIke everyone else, I buy them at the local bait shop. Has anyone ever tried to catch them themselves? If so, how do you keep them until you are ready to head to the beach?

Thanks for all the wonderful insight. I love this site. So helpful

Jim
Beach Haven, NJ

#52 ·
Here is my Analogy...when it comes to baits.

Bunker = Are the Burgers to Stripers and.

Clams = Are like Nachos and Dip to Stripers and

Eels = the Hot Dogs and

Mullet = are the corndogs

Sandeels = French Fries and

Herring = are the Fried Chicken fillets and

Lafayettes ( Spots ) = Chicken wings .

And Calicos Crabs = Well, their just crabcakes appitizers.

If you serve it up on the " Bar " the Sand Bar that is, and the stripers are there they will most likely take any of these baits. The key is knowing when to use them thru the season . I always examine the stomach contents of any fish I harvest to SEE the profile and size of the baits the fish in my home waters are feeding on then mimic it with an artificial to increase my catch ratio from night to night . Good luck Fellas, truth be told "I' d Rather be lucky than good" everyday of the week.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

Fish Whisperer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.