Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

How to locate Stripers?

10K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  zimno1 
#1 ·
Hi, everyone! I'm new to this forum and glad to be part of the community, but I am having a difficult time trying to fish those stripers. I bought a 18', Ragin Cajun boat in April and have been out trying to catch these stripers ever since. Still haven't caught one. Please, help!!

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks!! I fish in lake hickory and up towards Rodhiss. I did check some of those post and they gave me some ideas, but I've been to those areas in the past and didn't get any bite. I don't know if the weather is still too hot or if i'm just not trolling the right spots. I used live shad on planer boards and free line. I have also tried down rigging in deeper parts as well. I know stripers move a lot, but are they in deeper water this time of the year or along banks and ridges?

#5 ·
i read a few years back that freshwater guys were fishing early am just as sun-up on points of shallow water as bass came up to feed on shad or minnows of some sort. i'd be lying if i told you i knew what the hell you should do down there in those parts (why i put that link up) but figure your early as the weather is still hot so i'd park my arse in a good spot at night and camp out till sun-up. boat traffic and noise will spook em down unless they are on the feed. check the barometric pressure for the day. too low or too high and it could kill the chance they will feed readily. 1020mb is as high as you want it to be and when a front is moving in and the pressure is forecast to drop then these are also times to be out looking in the feeding areas \

#6 ·
Thanks for the info. When is the best time to be fishing for stripers? Is it early early or is it at night and when they feed, are they in shallower water or deeper water? I have been out to some of the hot spots where they have been reported but nothing yet. And do they usually travel in schools?

#7 ·
not familiar altogether where you are. if i were kayaking i would invest in a trolling motor. noise is taboo. go out during the day at low tide and scope out the inlets of those skinny water areas. you should be able to see some structure that leads in and out of the upper portion of that creek/river/etc. finding the alley/road/highway or any other term you wanna use for a fish's navagation thru this area will be an advantage for when you get out late into early am. seeing when baitfish go in/up/around a specific area will show you also how fish hunt in these wee hours of the morning. after sundown it takes bass alot of hours to adjust to the dark. but once this has transpired they are able to see where they wanna go. being in a spot early and waiting for them to arrive is where your stealth will pay off. so with so much more to it than that i will hope someone else chimes in to add to this. night time is the right time but from 1am to 7am is the best time to fish imo. thats not to say you cannot catch fish any other time of the day or night... but it is the best time. i would abandon artificials for live eels at first and eventually honing your skill with jigs and plugs when you zero in on the best and most productive spots (which you should never elude to or divulge under any circumstance!!!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.