Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Casting Distance Issue

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ChefBX 
#1 ·
Hey,

Kind of a dumb question, but im notcing im having a hell of a time launching any plugs under 2.5oz or so with my 650ssm and 65lb braid on my 11' rod. , just seems like the lack of weight is preventing me from really getting them far.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
I have an 850SS and an 850ssm that I use with my 10'6 St Croix and 11' Okuma off the beach for slinging 3-4 oz of weight plus bait with. I'd try something a little smaller for throwing 1-2 oz plugs, a rod in the 7-8' range and a smaller reel would work much better for ya. I use braid for my heavier applications but for throwing small plugs/lures I usually just stick to 12-15 lb mono. Not completely familair with the 650 series but I know how heavy both my 850's are, so I'd imagine the 650 is a bit heavy for what you're trying to use it for. Also, and I am 1/2 speculating here, but the 850ssm is NOTORIOUS for having issues with mysterious bail closings, so be careful with that 650. Never used the 650 myself so it might not be a problem, but I'm ready to toss my 850 in the drink I've snapped off so many times. Good luck man, hope this helped.

#3 ·
Thanks for the information, just picked up a New old stock mitchel 500 XS casting reel to mate up with my 6'6" MH im6 basspro shops rod.
Spooled it with 50lb Calcutta braid, so i'll use that for plugging as i can heave
that thing like a rocket.

As for the sea striker 11', if i have 2oz or more on, i can launch that thing pretty damned far. just the lighter weights become an issue.

I figured its kind of weird, ive been fishing for 20 years and fishing for stripers for 15 of those years, but just got into surf this year. (still doing boat on the freshwater part of the hudson too)

#4 ·
Hey jmark your probably running into the problem with the rod being to stiff. You should try a 9 - 10.6 rod with a slower action, more parabolic. The stiffer rod can't load properly with the light lures. Plus your reel should be loaded with lighter braid or mono drop to 30 braid and you will see a huge difference. I use a 9 ft. Lami and 10ft. st. Croix and they really whip the light stuff under 2oz. Matched with a Penn 710z and a 5000 battle 20# braid nice balanced combos. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.