2013 Delaware river reports (post'em here) - Page 25 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Delaware River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Delaware River A Forum for The Delaware River guys.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: 2013 Delaware river reports (post'em here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by always the eels View Post
one guy in a kayak pulled up two fish in quick succession using an all white swim bait just as the sun sank. Now these fish I heard were around 24-28 inches.
Good to know. I fish from my kayak.
I went out yesterday to delanco area. USed frozen herring. I got one hit but I forgot to leave my bait feeder on and as soon as the fish felt the weight he spit the hook. No catched or hits again. Was out from 4-6pm only. (oh and fishing from the shoreline this time)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Called it quits today ran outa bait. Had trouble finding them at first was fishing deep water 25-40' trying find tht #60 but it wasn't to be had. So I headed down to one of my trusted spots and man were the rats thick. Every single cast for 1&1/2 hours til bait ran out caught a bass from 12"-18" lost count after 25. Had to switch to only one rod cause it was basically cast 2 clicks on the reel and hooked up. just became to much with more than one rod. not the size i was after but it was still fun. Clams bloods and frozen salt herring all caught. All fish were caught in 13' water. Outgoing. Clams cut in half caught the most, every single blood went to a bass so tht was good. Did get a few perch early on clam so I kept them alive and cut dorsal fin and drifted live perch for an hour in 30' water had one really good pick up but I missed the hook up.

Did catch a report from the other day from a friend who caught 4 bass 30"-39" so there are some bigger fish around just gota be there as they move through. My size and numbers are deff down this year compare to last 6 years but they r around.
DoD report: still hot with 30"-40" bass in past couple days.

Herring are pushing back out seems they spawned out so fishing creek mouths would prob be best even tho I didn't fish those areas maybe prob should have. Well maybe I get out Friday again. Catch'em up.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu fish View Post
Called it quits today ran outa bait. Had trouble finding them at first was fishing deep water 25-40' trying find tht #60 but it wasn't to be had. So I headed down to one of my trusted spots and man were the rats thick. Every single cast for 1&1/2 hours til bait ran out caught a bass from 12"-18" lost count after 25. Had to switch to only one rod cause it was basically cast 2 clicks on the reel and hooked up. just became to much with more than one rod. not the size i was after but it was still fun. Clams bloods and frozen salt herring all caught. All fish were caught in 13' water. Outgoing. Clams cut in half caught the most, every single blood went to a bass so tht was good. Did get a few perch early on clam so I kept them alive and cut dorsal fin and drifted live perch for an hour in 30' water had one really good pick up but I missed the hook up.

Did catch a report from the other day from a friend who caught 4 bass 30"-39" so there are some bigger fish around just gota be there as they move through. My size and numbers are deff down this year compare to last 6 years but they r around.
DoD report: still hot with 30"-40" bass in past couple days.

Herring are pushing back out seems they spawned out so fishing creek mouths would prob be best even tho I didn't fish those areas maybe prob should have. Well maybe I get out Friday again. Catch'em up.
Shoot, where can I get into those rats? They would be a blast from my yak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Striper Hunter

Will be heading out from Penns Park later tonight in my buddy's boat. Will keep everyone updated.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:35 PM
First Mate

Hey all my fellow striper nuts, I am going to hit the river hard on Sunday and Monday and I had a question about chum. I have one of those old metal minnow buckets with the lid that locks down and full of small holes. I was wondering if it would work to fill it full of "junk" like chicken livers and that frozen clam stuff and drop it right below my boat or drag it on top or is it a waste of time. I just figured that if I packed that thing full of chum it would last damn near all day. Give me a shout back about it and hope to see y'all out over the weekend. I will be out between buoys 12 and 4 I think. Chuckles
Old 05-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1129chuck View Post
Hey all my fellow striper nuts, I am going to hit the river hard on Sunday and Monday and I had a question about chum. I have one of those old metal minnow buckets with the lid that locks down and full of small holes. I was wondering if it would work to fill it full of "junk" like chicken livers and that frozen clam stuff and drop it right below my boat or drag it on top or is it a waste of time. I just figured that if I packed that thing full of chum it would last damn near all day. Give me a shout back about it and hope to see y'all out over the weekend. I will be out between buoys 12 and 4 I think. Chuckles
I would put it in a blender and freeze it. Put frozen block in chum bucket.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger1v View Post
I would put it in a blender and freeze it. Put frozen block in chum bucket.
I ground it up in my wife's food processor, she still pissed! Mixed frozen bunker and Clam juice, herring, water with sea salt, left over dead bloodworms! Ground it up fine. Put it into a Tupperware container! But lined the container with cheese cloth. Poured the mix in tied it off! Then froze it! Tie it to your anchor, drop it in! Every so often you may want to shake the anchor line! Good luck Chuckles!
Gravy!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Official Member

Mu, great observation in the creeks! Now the question is... If the baitfish have spawned out and are headed back to sea, what is left for the bass coming out of spawn? What species will be their target; what is plentiful in the Delaware? The cows will be hungry, and likely scoop up anything they can get their mouths on... It might be a shorter season since the baitfish are on their way out, although, we may see some unheard of numbers, hopefully.

Good luck out there!!!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:43 PM
First Mate

Thanks as always guys, so I guess that it is best to get the chum to the bottom not on the top right, and I will also use my wifes blender so I will be in the dog house with you gravy. Channel 17 all day Sunday, see yah
Old 05-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghg924 View Post
mu, great observation in the creeks! Now the question is... If the baitfish have spawned out and are headed back to sea, what is left for the bass coming out of spawn? What species will be their target; what is plentiful in the delaware? The cows will be hungry, and likely scoop up anything they can get their mouths on... It might be a shorter season since the baitfish are on their way out, although, we may see some unheard of numbers, hopefully.

Good luck out there!!!
your bait.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:33 PM
First Mate

Hell Yeh, our baits on our lines now, let's get em boys
Old 05-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

I'm not liking the way water temps are climbing on the river. Not liking fact herring have stated moving out already. It might really be over before it ever really gets started this year. Hearing numbers and size down also in Susquehanna river as well as most of the lower chesapeake and from what I been seeing and after talking to someone from the Hudson they been doing well and they have just gotten another group of big bass entering.
Ocean temps outside the delaware bay is around 50 and bigger sized bass have been reported being caught lately in the lower bay.
This year has me stumped. #serchingforanswers I might not see a #30 let another a #40,#50,#60 I was looking for this season.
Hoping just hoping the spawning stock is not dwindling. Not much mention of any fish in the #50 or bigger class. Pa fish & boat commis usually does its striped bass testing on the Big D first week of May sure like to get some preliminary findings. Numbers sure seem down across the board this spring. I hope we didn't lose entire schools of fish by the netters down south. Or maybe sandy effected travel routes and most of our rives stock found other waters to spawn in. Idk but I have seen or heard anyone have a banner year yet. (Catching a thousand rats or a few slots don't count) but I'm just thinking out loud dont mind me I just need to get out and chase'em down.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Skunked Big Fat SKUNK. Went out for a quick 3&1/2 hr trip fished 2 different spots in between tacony and betsey from 4:30-8pm using nothing but bunker chunks (all big chunks only 3 pieces including the head) had a lot of pic ups none of the runs were long coulda been big cats. Caught a big 5lb eel and chunked it and had one fish slam it on the way down after the cast and caught me off guard an didn't get hookset. 2 other boats tht went out same time as me and came back same time both had negative results one boat did get 2 bass both 15" on clam.
Going out early in the am to fish for the the whole day with big bait again gota put the breaks on a true cow before the days out! Catch'em up.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Anyone catching today??????? Been out here since 7am and only 1 cat 1 15" bass.......fishing til sun down.....where the hell is all the damn fish.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Official Member

Been out since 8.30am also... One catfish...