Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Herring report 2011

21K views 99 replies 36 participants last post by  aNskY 
#1 ·
Any information as to the current whereabouts of herring schools?bouncelol.gif

#3 ·
Im a bit north of Catskill. Last year I caught my first herring and striper on april 8th. I frequently check the River Basin page for updates and wait for the good word. Its a matter of days now im sure. Thanks for responding.

#8 ·
Stoolie or gill net is def way to go. IMO sabiki isnt worth trying till you know they are around in good numbers.

#13 ·
RIVER BASIN SPORTS UPDATE - Monday, April 04, 2011

April is progressing. For the past week or so we've been receiving word of a smattering of stripers and herring in the river about 25 miles south of us, but that really wasn't too much to get excited about since that is to be expected each year. What we want to hear is that some giant schools of herring and alewives have entered our waterway and are starting their run upriver - then we know that the stripers will be right behind them.

Well, we received our first report of larger schools of herring having arrived in the lower section of the river this past weekend and want to thank Walt down in the Wappingers / Fishkill area for this early netting report. These fish should be making their way upriver fairly quickly but there is a question as to how far upriver they'll advance in this first push.

The past three years the herring have arrived in the Catskill area during the first week of April… but the water temp at Catskill during that period those same three years, ranged from the mid 40's to 50 degrees. This morning the Hudson's water temperature at the Catskill launch ramp was only 41. Back in 2007 the water temperature during the first week of April was approximately the same as this - and then the stripers and herring didn't get here until the end of the second week of April.

It'll be interesting to see just what's in store for us this year. The colder water temperature might hold the stripers back in the lower section of the river for a while. Most certainly this morning's flood warnings for the Mohawk River do not bode us down here very well. Any heavy rains and Adirondack snow-melt will probably result in a wash-down of dirty water which could further delay the arrival of our stripers. We'll just play it by ear and see what happens.

#14 ·
I cant take this waiting game any longer. Im buying a damn house boat and following them.

#20 ·
Yea I whould say that too I went to the poestinkill creek today at lunch and thought I seen some but couldn't tell for sure if they were alewifes or trout checking today after work. I check that river basin site to, that Tom is pretty good usually when you here there down that way, they are up in the troy Albany area as well

#29 ·
ya,some rules and regs are ment to be broken.ill snip off a hook A.when I get snaged on the bottom B.when a giant shad rips it off ,or C.when dec is in my binoculars:icon_biggrin:.deffinatly keep the bottom hook if you are cutting them off ,seems to be the most productive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.