Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Change in herring law this year

12K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  yellabella 
#1 ·
not sure how many people this will effect but there is one law changed, I heard a rumor about it when I got home today and went to the dec office in new paltz and got it confirmed. YOU ARE NOW ALLOWED TO HAVE NO MORE THAN 100 HERRING IN YOUR POSSESION, DEAD OR ALIVE!!!! Like I said, I'm not sure how many this will effect but it's worth knowing. Those of us who sell bait I don't know how to take this it is only listed under the personal use laws and no other spots....usual hit on the small guy but 100 is alot.

#3 ·
I'm indifferent about it...if you are gonna limit it then why 100??? why bother, I personally prefer to spend my first week getting herring and then my next 4 fishing, without having to worry about getting bait, just gotta stagger it now but I do think that 50 would be more reasonable and I don't think you should be able to harvest them to sell commercially in the river, they are here to spawn, let the sport fishermen and the charter captains take their fare share and let them be. maybe limit the size nets you are allowed to use. I'm just happy I found this out today cause I'm going out tomorrow for bait.

#5 ·
To me 100 is WAY to many! how much bait do you need to go fishing for a day! just wake up a little early, catch your bait go fishin! that is what i always do and it is much better! (fresh, and alive) also, 1 other think i would like to say, "why change law so soon to the season"? Who is going to know this new law if you haven't talk to DEC or read it somewere? Also, I really don't understand this new law about you can't transport herring in a "motorized vehicle" look up the word "motorized vehicle" anything with a motor gas or electric! What are we gunna do? Go striper fishing in a canoe? all striper boats have motors on them! also it say's "in" well quess what i gunna strap bucket on top of roof!!!

#8 ·
I can have upwards of eight people counting myself fishing at one time. Some of us use two rods each so going through 100 herring in a 10-12 hour day is conceivable. I personally only keep about three dozen on hand. I took a 30 gallon Rubbermaid trashcan and added a fitting on the bottom to which I connect a long length of 3/4" clear hose. Attached to the end of the hose is a 900gph bilge pump which I keep running constantly pumping in fresh river water. At the top of the can is another fitting with a shorter length of hose to let water drain out. When I need more bait, I simply take one out of the livewell, use it as a stoolie and scap up some more. Any leftovers at the end of the day are released and thanks to the efficiency of the livewell, I never lose any. As for the transporting law, if you read it closely, it allows you to keep them on the boat indefinately. Finally, I feel DEC does mid season rule changes so that they can issue more tickets. As we all know, ignorance of a law is no legal excuse and if we tell them we didn't know, they'll just say we're suppossed to check all rules and regs before we go out.

#6 ·
So if you share a tank with 10 guys you can keep 1000.Or does the tank have to be divided into ten seprite compartments. Gee I think hottuna may be rite :crosstheline:I use fried spam when I bait fish way better then herring unless you smoke it first then I'd give herring the edge plus if you get hungry you can eat the bait. Well Iam off to soak some spam.
Good luck to all:toilet:

#7 ·
DO NOT WANT TO DISPUTE AS TO WHAT YOU ARE SAYING, BUT I TALKED TO ENCON AT THE KINGSTON STRIPER SEMINAR AND HE TOLD ME THAT THERE WERE NO CHANGES FOR THIS YEAR, BUT THEY WERE COMING FOR NEXT YEAR. IT IS HARD TO GET STRAIGHT ANSWERS FROM ECON AS NO TWO OFFICERS CAN GIVE YOU THE SAME ANSWER. I BELIEVE EVEN IF THIS WERE TRUE IT COULD NOT BE ENFORCED AS THE GENERAL PUBLIC IS NOT AWARE OF THE LAW CHANGE. JUST MY THOUGHTS ON 100 LIMIT OF HERRING.hello.gif

#11 ·
DO NOT WANT TO DISPUTE AS TO WHAT YOU ARE SAYING, BUT I TALKED TO ENCON AT THE KINGSTON STRIPER SEMINAR AND HE TOLD ME THAT THERE WERE NO CHANGES FOR THIS YEAR, BUT THEY WERE COMING FOR NEXT YEAR. IT IS HARD TO GET STRAIGHT ANSWERS FROM ECON AS NO TWO OFFICERS CAN GIVE YOU THE SAME ANSWER. I BELIEVE EVEN IF THIS WERE TRUE IT COULD NOT BE ENFORCED AS THE GENERAL PUBLIC IS NOT AWARE OF THE LAW CHANGE. JUST MY THOUGHTS ON 100 LIMIT OF HERRING.hello.gif
This law is for real...first I heard it from a local charter captain then i went down to the dec to get my bait license and they give you a sheet of paper with the laws on it for personal, sale, and commercial harvesting on them, and low an behold there it was.

#9 ·
Once the run is on good up here in Albany you can generally catch herring in the main river as you need them, so I just keep 2 or 3 in the livewell. In fact, just to relieve the boredom waiting for a striper, I continue to use the sabiki as shad will hit on those. Not like the shad fishing is what it was, but there are still some around.

#10 ·
Once the run is on good up here in Albany you can generally catch herring in the main river as you need them, so I just keep 2 or 3 in the livewell. In fact, just to relieve the boredom waiting for a striper, I continue to use the sabiki as shad will hit on those. Not like the shad fishing is what it was, but there are still some around.
my boat is going in castleton boat launch next week and i was wondering if I were to go right out from there can I catch herring easily like you can up to albany on a sabiki. or would I have to travel a bit further north to get em to bite the sabiki? thanks jon

#14 ·
I live on a major trib off the hudson. It is not uncommon to see the same people out day after day netting herring and filling their floating tanks. They do this for the same reason, stock up for the season and treat their friends. Well I disagree on this method. I have for the past 5 years submitted to the DEC that a limit regulation must be set. To me while it may not be perfect it is the first step. If anyone says they go through 100 herring on a daily basis they are seriously mistaken, even with 10 people that's 10 herring per. If hooked properly 1 herring would last for hours. If the stripers are hitting hot & heavy thats 1 herring per hour in a 10 hr day. Is that common 10 stripers per hour ? I don't think so but maybe I'm wrong. To me I have seen the herring decline on our tribs & river. At what point do we need to act ? I think now is the time.

#15 ·
Well said Tuna , we usually have 3 on a boat and never go through that many. Even on our 20+ fish days. It's sucks that people have to be so greedy.

As for the delcine and being a "taker" of them myself every year , me and friend are involved in a Herring monitoring program this year w/ dec. It's the furthest north they have started tracking them.

So i guess we'll will see what happens ?!?!?

#17 ·
I've gotten herring for other people and people have done the same for me
we fill the bait tanks and the guys use them some don't have time to scap so it's nice to have bait for all. We don't buy bait we don't sell it. Bait shops sell as many as they want hunderets comm. netters millions of lbs . So Tuna and BB you would go after the little guy just like big goverment does take from the blue collar guy tax ciggs tax beer sin tax on and on. Outlaw fishing North off the GW brige cause thats the breeding grounds. Thats what table is being set then the gun get reg. then the come and get it because of new rules. Two fluke over 21" in NY for two months. I could go on forever with this rant but you wouldn't get it. So good Luck to you enjoy striper fishing as long as you can before it to gets banned.

#18 ·
I have no problem with taking them if your going to use all of them. If your getting them for your buddies that great, i do the same thing ! I was just stating that 100 IS A LOT !!! If some guys are just taking as many as they can get with out thinking about it.

Tight lines Finny :gob_icon_cheers:

BB

#19 ·
I really do not think myself hot tuna or bassinbrian meant to say they wanted to impose a limit.They and I were stating that we do not need to use that many herring in that time period.I have 2 bait tanks at my dock and only fill them when needed.They die off to easy.

#20 ·
My son and I only bring 6 or 8 when we go out I just get tight with the world today my bad. Plus my bride wouldn't let me go scappen tonite
We are trying a pool pump this year TK cause they do die off, BB:th_icon_beer:

#21 ·
Keep in mind guys that your are mostly talking about fishing with Live herring.
Chunk Bait guys like myself tend to use more because of the damn eels/cats.
When you have 4 guys on a boat and the cats/eels won't leave your bait alone you use more bait. I wish it was as simple as saying Mr. Eel please leave my bait alone but it doesn't work like that. I do however fish Live herring to at a times where I might use 6 or 8 a day. Some days when I chunk with 4 guys in the boat we have gone though 35 bait in a day. Never even close to 100/day! The real problem with the herring is the damn ocean trawlers pulling in the river herring that co-mingle with the sea herring. The
river herring are discarded as bycatch. The DEC/ASMFC promised to look into this at the Dec. 8th meeting in Staatsburgh as they are now aware that this is a problem and is another factor to some extent in the decline in the river herring populations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.