Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Hudson River Boaters.... need advice.

5K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  tree-on 
#1 ·
What type and size of anchor do you recommend for fishing in the Hudson? I'd be using it in a 16' aluminum hulled Starcraft.

#3 ·
I'm not 100% sure on weight of anchor, but i would make sure you have some heavy chain between the rope and anchor (to help weigh it down), and use the folding style with the big points to dig in the soft bottom. NOT the bell style.

#4 ·
For that size boat you should only need a 4lb. anchor. I recommend the fluke type anchors with the two points that dig in. Fortress makes a good one. As far as setting a good anchor, most people just don't let out enough line for the anchor to do its job. If you are anchoring in 30 feet of water you should have at least 60 feet of line out. a 2:1 ratio gives your anchor a 45 degree angle which is what most fluke type anchors need to properly set.

#8 ·
The Navy trained us to at least have double the length of rope out, as water depth. So, 20 ft of water=40 ft of anchor line out to enable the anchor to grab bottom. It's recommended to have triple length, but I only go with that in rough weather or with strong tide, which the Hudson is capable of. You also want to ensure you have enough anchor line, to properly anchor in all depths of water you plan on fishing while anchored. It's better to have too much line, rather than too little. Extra anchor line can also be used for towing, should your engines crap out. If you plan on anchoring in the Hudson, I would go with a bow and stern anchor to help eliminate swinging, which happens when the tide changes directions, wind, etc. Can be very annoying when your trying to fish multiple lines.

#10 ·
I guess I should have been more specific. My bow anchor is always my main anchor and the stern anchor is much smaller and not used as the main holding point. I only use a stern anchor of 5 lbs and its only to keep the wind, etc from blowing my boat in circles or side to side. If I'm anchored and the tide is changing from in to out, then I bring in my lines, lift my stern anchor off bottom and let the current swing me around, then I drop the stern anchor again. You definitely don't want to be anchored stern first with a heavy current, as its very likely you could swamp yourself, not to mention that you might have to try and back your boat up past your anchor's holding point in order to retrieve it in strong currents. Besides why anchor when you can drift? BassinBrian converted me to drifting last year.

#12 ·
i know this is an old post but i did not want to post a question that was already asked.
HOWEVER . . .what size anchor line is best for a 19 ft boat with 15lb anchor on the hudson?? 3/8 , 1/2, or 5/8 inch line??

length - 150, 200, 300 ?? many years ago when my dad had a boat we would never anchor in more than 40ft depth - but in case of emergency - how much line should i have ??

Thanks

#13 ·
i know this is an old post but i did not want to post a question that was already asked.
HOWEVER . . .what size anchor line is best for a 19 ft boat with 15lb anchor on the hudson?? 3/8 , 1/2, or 5/8 inch line??

length - 150, 200, 300 ?? many years ago when my dad had a boat we would never anchor in more than 40ft depth - but in case of emergency - how much line should i have ??

Thanks
I have a 19'ft aluminum that I use a 9lb Danforth on. I have 100 ft of 1/2 in rope, I would go 150 as long as you are staying on inland waters. I have only had all the rope out once, and that was when I was "moving spots" by just letting out more line. I would not go with 3/8 just for the reason the larger rope is easier to pull in, does not cut into you hands. The biggest improvement I made to the setup was to add 6 foot of 3/8 galv. chain, improved holding immensely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.