best surf reel on a budget? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 10-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Official Member

Default best surf reel on a budget?

I was wondering If you guys can help me here I'm looking to get me some new gear but I'm running on a budget and can't afford the VS and ZB and highend expensive reels what is a good quality and performance reel(s) for surf fishing that can with stand the dunking of water and sand and the big bass and blues thanks in advance the rod I'm playing on getting is either a 10ft Penn Spinfisher or and 11ft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: best surf reel on a budget?

A Shimano Thunnus will withstand but its big and heavy a bastard. I would still rinse it down after using it even though I rinsed mine maybe 1 out of 4 or 5 outings.http://www.bridgeroadbait.com/thunnus.html
Old 10-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Veteran Elite

a litle more info.http://www.tackledirect.com/tu16000f.html
Old 10-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Striper Hunter

penn 704 find them on ebay, flea market neighbors garage sale. just pack it with grease and go. easy to work on and easy to maintain. if you find more than one, buy them both. since they dont make them anymore the second one is nice to have for parts.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:49 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

704 is a good reel but you don't necessarily know what you are getting and if you don't know what to do with a reel that is damaged that will end your fishing Quickly, not to mention if it has a bail they tend to flip midcast at times.

I agree With Back Bay, The Thunnus or even a Baitrunner 4500B They are short money and last. I literallly went swimming with my Bait runner this weekend(not on purpose) and it came up spinning. Mine looks like hell but still works well.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:45 PM
First Mate

704 is a great reel and some parts are still available but they are getting fewer by the day. You will need to pay what they ask for them as soon you will have no choices. The Shimano 4500b series(older style) is a die hard reel that will take a beating and ask for more. They new D series is also nice but will cost you more. The baitrunner b and d series is known throughout the world as the US baitrunner as Shimano makes about 1/2 dozen other baitrunners and they love the US BaitRunner. I know a guy in Austrailia that wants as many(cheap as shipping is a killer) as he can get his hands on. A D series sells for well over $300 down under.

Some or many older 704's are prone to warped rotor cups and if you can't spead so spool does not rub then you are out a few more bucks. If the reel has problems and not not good at determining this before buying then it's no deal.

A reel that you can dunk, is cheap, hardly needs any maintanance plus casts well is the Alvery Surf Series, they love them in Austrailia. Problem is the retrieve is 1:1

What is your price range???
Old 10-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Veteran Elite

I thought you would need to take the 704 apart and clean it if it gets dunked? Someone fill me in on this.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Official Member

My pockets really tight sad to say but I'm looking to spend no more than 180 to 200 since I'm a tight budget ill be getting everything little by little and I guess gather it all for next season I'm new to the fishing scene so I'm just starting on surf fishing.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Look on Ebay and you might be able to pick up an old mitchell 402. The eggbeater. Or the Penn 704 Z series coffee-grinder. Both reels will bring in large fish from shore.

Make sure the drag is operational.
Grease it and use it.
If dunking it (which isnt likely) load up the housing with lithium grease.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:24 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan! View Post
Look on Ebay and you might be able to pick up an old mitchell 402. The eggbeater. Or the Penn 704 Z series coffee-grinder. Both reels will bring in large fish from shore.

Make sure the drag is operational.
Grease it and use it.
If dunking it (which isnt likely) load up the housing with lithium grease.
some lithium greases can break down with water. You should use Corrosion Block grease(T.Y. Sudsy), you can get it at many large/chain boat supply stores(West Marine, Boaters world and maybe other stores). It does not break down with water, and not adversly effected by heat. For the drag get the new style drag knob as it has a rubber washer built iin and will also help keep out water. Well I should say pack the body of the reel with the grease and also get a manual bail for the 704. I got my 704z in perfect working order for $20. I will tear it down this winter and drill and do all the other goodies

This is a short thread on my 704z https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=18171
If you search this site for 704z, 704 or check the reel maintanance threads there are several more for the 704 series

Also as mentioned above( I think) the Shimano baitrunners are great reels. For that price range you can even get the new D series.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Striper Hunter

Ok back to the top with this thread. I'm also doing my homework to try and find a decent saltwater- all-purpose reel for under 200$. I last purchased a Penn 550ssg and it's been OK, with maintenance.

I'm now looking at Daiwa and Shimano reels to upgrade next seasons combos of 9',10', and 12' rods.

Shimano seems to enter every conversation I have. I own at least 6 Shimano reels of smaller sizes and price.(Sedonas, Solstaces, Siennas). They have worked well for fresh water, and i take excellent care of my gear.

I have held the Stradics in my hands, and just don't think the plastic stuff is up to my saltwater night assaults. My buddies love theirs, so I'm up in the air on Stradic. (199.99)
The Baitrunner looks and reviews good, but I really wouldn't use it's features.
I would love some personnel feedback on the Spheros 5 or 6000. That may be my answer.

I have been hearing good things about Daiwa. I'm looking at a Saltist SW at 200$ +. They make a new ExcelerSW @ 160$ , wonder what the difference is?

Anyway, there's time to do the research and check the new models out. Won't be casting enough to prove any gear until spring. Any thoughts on these are welcome.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:09 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longliner View Post
Ok back to the top with this thread. I'm also doing my homework to try and find a decent saltwater- all-purpose reel for under 200$. I last purchased a Penn 550ssg and it's been OK, with maintenance.

I'm now looking at Daiwa and Shimano reels to upgrade next seasons combos of 9',10', and 12' rods.

Shimano seems to enter every conversation I have. I own at least 6 Shimano reels of smaller sizes and price.(Sedonas, Solstaces, Siennas). They have worked well for fresh water, and i take excellent care of my gear.

I have held the Stradics in my hands, and just don't think the plastic stuff is up to my saltwater night assaults. My buddies love theirs, so I'm up in the air on Stradic. (199.99)
The Baitrunner looks and reviews good, but I really wouldn't use it's features.
I would love some personnel feedback on the Spheros 5 or 6000. That may be my answer.

I have been hearing good things about Daiwa. I'm looking at a Saltist SW at 200$ +. They make a new ExcelerSW @ 160$ , wonder what the difference is?

Anyway, there's time to do the research and check the new models out. Won't be casting enough to prove any gear until spring. Any thoughts on these are welcome.

I think for newer reels the Shimano Baitrunner 4000/4500 is a great all round reel. You can either get a discontinued B series or the newer D Series. The D series will cost you about $75 to $100 more depending on where and how you buy it. The B series is a great reel but I was toying around with the 6000 D series the other day and I love it. Without checking the weight I would say it weighs less than my 704z and I have read some great reviews on the D series, well also read many for the B . It may not be the best plugging reel for the $ but it works well for bait also. If you go up to the 6000 I think the D series has 20 or 25 lbs drag force. Shimano decreased the size of the 4500B to a 4000D but the new 6000D weighs similar to the 4500B and is smooth

I will say I'm kind of a Shimano fan myself so I'm not sure of the Diawa line up

Another reel to look at is the Shimano Twin Power. It is not sold by Shimano in the US but is very easy to get. It is over your budget but I know several guys from Australia that have them, they love and swear by them.

I have used both the Saragosa and Spheros. I thought both were very decent reels but only used them for a few days to week at the most. The Saragosa I did use for a few more days and really liked it. I'm not sure of the durability of either of these but from my testing/use I would not be afraid to get either, taking the Saragosa way first though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twinpower_sw_image_-familyImage-Single-image_dash_512_384.gif
Views:	1736
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	12288  
Old 11-27-2009, 04:44 PM
First Mate

I also have a cousin that lives in Tenn or around there somewhere, not sure as he moved recently. He had several Shimano reels and he was the one who first told me about the Twin-Power. It's said as he barely fishes but got them from his dad(my uncle) who was a civilian employee for the US Armed Services. He worked in the Pentagon and arranged all the Morale things the services have like all sports, concerts and things. Right before his death he headed (was Chief of)the Armed Forces Sports Committee and basically founded it's current framework. He was given the reels from Shimano for "testing" and such. When he passed away a few years ago my cousin got them all. The things he acquired over the years is insane as he was doing this as long as I can remember. When I was a kid he lived in Germany, Virginia and Texas, he had houses in each at the same time. My cousin had said when I saw he last to just let him know if I wanted to try something. I do know the Twin-Powers he has are the previous models but he swears by them. I think some of his more current reels may even be from his current job as he does some record and video production or something like that. It's amazing how having certain jobs people just give you things
Old 11-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Striper Hunter

Take a look at the Quantum Cabo PTs series

All the spinning series Boca models are under $150 new
Old 11-28-2009, 09:19 PM
First Mate

>$200 Okuma V system. 15+1 ball bearings waterproof drag. 55a 24lb drag 16.7oz, 65a 31lb drag 23.2 oz.
I hear people knocking Okuma but I have had one, Oryx, for 10 yrs. I used to take it apart and clean it after every use so it wouldn't bind. 2 years ago I packed it with marine lube and haven't touched it since (other than to remove the bail wire). It has gone swimming and been beaten off rocks as I am not easy on my gear.