Online source for live eels? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 04-01-2005, 11:07 PM
First Mate

Default Online source for live eels?

Anyone know of a good online source for live eels? I want to spend a little more time on them this year, but finding them here in upstate NY is hard and when you do, they're usually pretty expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2005, 08:20 PM
First Mate

Eels are pricey everywhere we pay $1.50 TO 2.00 an eel here in mass.
I am not sure how to do it but you can catch them your self

Fishing With The Sanddollar Princess
Old 04-02-2005, 09:00 PM

Sometimes the chinese restaruant guys can get em for ya. Ask your local guy to inquire for you. Make him a deal and trade him some striped bass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striperjim
Sometimes the chinese restaruant guys can get em for ya. Ask your local guy to inquire for you. Make him a deal and trade him some striped bass.
My buddy trades chinese food for striped bass all the time. they love fish.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:50 AM

Default Eel Stock

They say the American Eel Stock is in danger because of a few reason, 1 dams and such blocking their way into the river and 2 over fishing. There is a lot of concern with many fisherman about the future of eels... check out this petition to place eels on the endangered list .Many states are looking into the future of the American Eel

http://www.glooskapandthefrog.org/ESA%20petition.htm

There is a lot more information and talk about eels on the web, when I come across the rest of info I will post it
Old 04-03-2005, 11:01 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Eel Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz N' Eddy
They say the American Eel Stock is in danger because of a few reason, 1 dams and such blocking their way into the river and 2 over fishing. There is a lot of concern with many fisherman about the future of eels... check out this petition to place eels on the endangered list .Many states are looking into the future of the American Eel

http://www.glooskapandthefrog.org/ESA%20petition.htm

There is a lot more information and talk about eels on the web, when I come across the rest of info I will post it
They're nuts!!! All they need to do is fish the Hudson and they would get TONS of eels!!
Old 04-03-2005, 02:55 PM

I read that they did a creel survey last year in the Susquhanna in Pa and apparently couldnt find one eel. :shock: But the delaware is loaded with them. You can harvest 5 per day all year round. Go figure. :?
Old 04-03-2005, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striperjim
But the delaware is loaded with them. You can harvest 5 per day all year round. Go figure. :?
Yup, every time I go I catch at least 3 minimum but had no success using them as bait. The one's I catch are like 2ft long! If I cut them in half will I be able to still use them? Or will they die once I cut them? :?
Old 04-03-2005, 03:40 PM

At the show I heard Joe aka Roccus talkin about his traps...I guess he pinches the entry door to the trap so only the smaller ones can get in...

...Joe is the master when in comes to eels...I'd talk to him...
Old 04-03-2005, 03:51 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBoy
At the show I heard Joe aka Roccus talkin about his traps...I guess he pinches the entry door to the trap so only the smaller ones can get in...

...Joe is the master when in comes to eels...I'd talk to him...
Does he have an email address/website?
Old 04-03-2005, 03:53 PM

If you go into go into his profile, at the bottom of his posts...it has a link to email him...

Or he might just respond to this post...I would think he would... :D
Old 04-03-2005, 04:41 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Eels,my favorite subject!
The american eel has been in decline for about ten years now,overfishin and polution and loss of habitat are some of the reasons being used.

A few years back,the National fisherman magazine did a nice article on the eel problem,If i can find where I put it, I'll scan it and post it.

The harvesting of Elvers(imature or glass ) for the live fish market overseas has been a major concern,not only from an overfishing standpoint but also because of black market concerns.
The dams dont cause a problem for eels in most cases because they often migrate over land (I've never seen it but have read it from reliable sorces more than once) this should not be too astounding whenyou figure that they travel to the depths of the Sarragasso sea to spawn.

To answer your question,it can be difficult to buy eels in bulk without a bait dealers license,here in Mass there is a 50 eel limit.

Trapping eels is not difficult,they can be trapped in deep water holes,along pilings and under docks adjacent to deep water.

For trapping tidal eels,I find dusk low tides and daybreak low to be the best,eels can be trapped using clams(the best bait) fish or even chicken livers.
A simple minnow trap weighted down with a brick can often times produce enough bait sized eels for a fishing trip.
I use comercial size eel traps and pinch dowwn the opening,mainly to keep out the large"eatin size" eels but also to provide a secondary way in incase the entrance become plugged with debri.
Allways check your State and local regulations before trapping any baitfish,including eels.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:59 PM

Roccus I usually use chicken liver on my line to catch eels and I usually catch them within seconds of casting. Could you tell me where I could get some of these traps. thanx. :D

P.S- Also, could I toss these from shore, cause where I fish is very rocky. Would I have a problem with them getting snagged when I pull them in?
Old 04-05-2005, 11:00 PM
Official Member

Default Uncle Josh pork rind Eels

Has anyone tried or had any luck using the Uncle Josh Pork Skin eels? They look interesting, along the lines of the Tubes but almost more real.
At $12 a piece I wonder.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:23 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i swear by uncle josh's pork rind when flukin. could easily see that worth it since it can be fished multiple times. as for catching eels, they are more scarce than they used to be but under the piers at (the rock) where i grew up we as kids just dropped a flunder rig with pices of sandworm through the holes in the piers and pulled up eels like mad. caught and lost mucho slobs back then.