NY HARBOR - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:17 AM

Default NY HARBOR

Dear Friends:
I plan on going out this weekend out of Great Kills Harbor. I will update you on the outcome. Does anyone have any strong feelings on technique or location right now???? I was thinking clams or live bunker around the lighthouse across from the harbor, around the Varrazano, or along the shipping channel (ocean side of bridge). I could also go up the hudson. Being landlocked in PA, I don't get to hear the local buz. Any help would be appreciated.
MrStriper

PS: EagleEye mentioned that boats were doing OK out on "The Reach," what area is that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Jigologist

Mrstriper, I'm not from the area, but I can probably say with confidence that most guys are not going to get very specific about any spot for fear of it getting burned on here or any other message board.. you might have some luck with a PM but even then I highly doubt it..

just a heads up
Old 05-03-2006, 11:22 AM

Default You may be right

Dear Mr. Jigman:
You may be right, and your headsup is appreciated. But, I am hoping that the "Stripers247" family will stick together. I will be more than happy to report on my good findings. Then again, being from PA I only get to go a couple of times per season and don't much effect the fish population of NY Harbor. Because of this, the owner of Great Kills Bait & Tackle is always willing to help me out with his lucky spots because he knows that my presence will cause little impact on his luck at those locations.
If the members of 247 aren't willing to give a fellow fisherman the best input/ advice possible, what is the point of this forum? I hope the spots that I find this weekend will help someone else enjoy a great day of fishing. But, thanks again, we'll see how stingy people are with their info.
MrStriper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2006, 12:30 PM

Mr striper
I live in Az. and get "1" East coast fishing trip a year if i'm lucky. The folks on here don't give up much real info. Just little tidbits mixed in with bragging about how good they are. Asking for any real help is the fastest way to kill a thread i found. That said i'll keep lurking and gleening what i can from here and any place i can.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Jigologist

Mr striper and BW, helping someone catch fish to me is better done by describing techniques that work, and showing them how to find fish on their own.. many guys and gals have gone through great pains to learn what they have learned including certain spots and the last thing they want is to make the spots public .. it's not just the one or two guys from out of the area.. it's the thousands that read the boards.... I'm sure that someone local can help you individually but they are not going to make any spots public that are currently active.. spot burning through message boards is a well known evil that isn't tollerated well..

BW, sorry you feel that way about the folks that post their stuff here.. most really enjoy helping others with their fishing.. I know I do.. please try to consider the fact that they don't want the spots it took them years to nail to be posted on a public message board...

at any rate, good luck to you both
Old 05-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Lunker

Come on, I don't think people here are stingy with there info at all, just the opposite. What they wont do is tell you where to drop your line. Just because two people might show up once a year on a spot doesn't mean the other 999,999,998 other people who read it wont be there all summer.
The only braggard I've seen here was "FLIP FLOPPED" outta here.
Good luck tho.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:41 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW
Mr striper
I live in Az. and get "1" East coast fishing trip a year if i'm lucky. The folks on here don't give up much real info. Just little tidbits mixed in with bragging about how good they are. Asking for any real help is the fastest way to kill a thread i found. That said i'll keep lurking and gleening what i can from here and any place i can.
Ah-hum, I'm sorry you feel that way. I cant help but notice you only have 2 posts.....so you havent contributed much. Maybe you only want to post when your are "unhappy" with something? Hmmmm....

If you think the guys on the board dont help people, then I must believe there is a good chance you may be "coded", as in ADD or something. I mean, have you read all the posts in the forums here? Have you looked through the numerous amounts of threads and essays posted here? Have you bothered to navigate the site and read the numerous pages that Jim has compiled here to make up this site and community? Obviously not.

If you're coming here, and "lurking", and then not catching more fish....then I have a problem. And we need to do something more to help you. But I can guarantee you that the "help" will not include exact locations, especially ones that were found by guys who used trial N error over many years of hard work in order to find them. If it's exact GPS coordinates to someones "lucky" or "sacred" (hard-earned) spot that you are looking for, then yes sir, you may be "lurking" on the wrong board. If you're looking for the guy you heard about that catches "17 50 Pounders a year at the same spot", and you want to find out exactly where it is so you can stand on his shoulders without actually doing any work yourself, then you are definitely in the wrong place. lol. (I dont think that guy exists, I was just setting up an example.)

If it's lots and lots and lots of time and effort by others who are willing to post about their experiences and proven techniques, and maybe share general location or area for any given technique, then you are in the right place.

Again, if you are coming here and truely reading all that is offered, and still not catching more fish, then I definitely have a problem, and I'm sure the rest of community will too. If that's really the case, then I invite you to offer some pertinent information or suggestions. But you can leave out the "where's your lucky spot" or "give me GPS info", because it is common knowledge and a well known "unwritten rule" on the internet that "Spot Burning" is not a very welcome thing. It's frowned upon, not just here, but just about everywhere else in cyberspace.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW
The folks on here don't give up much real info. Just little tidbits mixed in with bragging about how good they are.
Your kidding right? We take great pride in seperating ourselves from other boards. We do our best to assist and teach newcomers technigues and tactics needed to make them better fishermen. Especially tactfully addressing issues that potentially could spark hard feelings and or controversy. The sad irony of a comment like yours is that our best fishermen arent inclined to post their adventures and pictures for reasons related to comments like yours. We do understand that it comes from inexperienced fishermen so their is no need to belabor the point, but I honestly hope you reflect on your statement and reconsider that position.
I personally responded to Mr. Stripers post in the Mid coast forum and I felt I walked the line on spots.

I am very familiar with Great Kills Bait and tackle thats why I recommended Michaels. (everyone gets fresh bait at Michaels)
However the Raritan is well known and can be found in Books and online magazines anywhere. Sudsy said it best somewhere. Fish swim and constantly move. Guys who go out every day fish different all the areas you mentioned and move from place to place to find fish during the course of an outing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striperjim
Hi Mr Striper. If you live in Easton You should be fishing the Delaware river. Trailor it furthur south a bit. The fish are now in and around the Trenton area and will be on the move shortly.
Fishing Staten Island: If you plan on the salt and trailor to Great Kills you dont need to go too far outside of the harbor. Bunker will be the bait of choice. There is a good chance you can snag and or net some anywhere in the area. Barring that, pick some up at Michaels bait and tackle at Mansion Marina across from the harbor in the residential side. Work the channel edges or pick a bouy and live line or chunk bunker or clam bellies.
Have fun. Get your self a captain seagull chart and venture to the sandy hook side in time.
You can also fish near the VZ. You cant anchor anywhere near it. Its 110 foot deep. There are fish to be had all over the area. Anwhere close could put you on fish. Another alternative is to trailor and launch at Lemon creek on south Staten Island and fish the south east side.
I would like you both to read this thread. https://stripers247.com/phpBB2/viewto...ghlight=paying

Heres also a not so funny story of an exploit by Roccus. Tell me if you dont think he has paid his dues.
I was much younger then, I was still a newlywed, married in may, it was now mid june, that year the plum island flats were loaded with fish....big fish....the only problem is they ALL had lock jaw, everyone knew they were there, but most went elsewhere to greener hungrier pastures.
Night after night, fish swirling and busting from fright,, I often fished from mid night to daybreak,going straight to work, my bride was getting miffed, i was getting frustrated, i tried everything, worms, clam, crabs, eels nuthing doing, finally on the third week a friend confided that my bride had approached him asking who the other woman was????? After all no one goes three weeks in a row EVERY NIGHT catching nothing, well final two nights latter it happend...no she didnt divorce me(not yet) I nailed a 33lb fish, I drove home that night in a fit of anger and resentment, I should have been happy,how dare she acuse me like this,what self respecting striper fisheman would leave all those fish?????
Upon arrival home I stormed into the house dragging my prize, entered the bedroom ripped back the covers and tossed that beauty(no not my wife)in bed, then excalaimed here my&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& girlfriend.... then calmly went took a shower and got the best night sleep in a month.....on the couch!!!!!
13 years latter she left me, i dont know why by then she should have figured it out!.... BTW... I got the fish on......what else...an eel!
So lets here 'em i know there are some stories left untold!
Rock

So when we read comments like that we get a little bit miffed to say the least. I've seen on other boards comments like yours responded to with venom and angry ridicule. The jigman very tactfully outlined the correct response to your angst concerning an message board NO NO.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim
Sudsy said it best somewhere. Fish swim and constantly move. Guys who go out every day fish different all the areas you mentioned and move from place to place to find fish during the course of an outing.
I think this was the quote:

"Even if someone were to tell you exactly where to stand your odds of finding fish are no better then if you were to go out and snoop around on your own. Fish have tails, they swim around a lot. This spring in particular (for some unknown reason) the fish are moving even more then in springs past, they're biting well somewhere for a tide then 12 hours later when they should be there again they're somewhere else completely."
Old 05-04-2006, 09:37 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

UNBELIVEABLE!
Old 05-04-2006, 11:59 AM

Actually I am new to striper fishing and this site. I found this site and the people here to be very helpful. I do not ask for exact spots. I ask for basic areas and fishing tips. I was surprised how helpful everyone is.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:13 PM

We do our best. Spotburning is an issue that we are sensitive to, so much so that it is coded into our board rules. I'd gladly help anyone anyway I can as long as I feel its appreciated.
Im heading to NY harbor shortly.
I'll check my areas for signs of fish and give it a go.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:00 AM

Default WOW...Lesson learned

WOW...I never thought my inocent questions would have spurred such passion from both sides of the fence. I appreciate everyone's input and have learned a good lesson on my quest to becoming a more experienced fisherman.
I recently found an "unbelievably productive", local fishing hole with Large Mouth, Pickerel, Crappie, along with 15+lb. catfish and carp; I have averaged about 10 fish per hour and a half visit. I was so excited about this find, I immediately started telling my friends. My wife told me I shouldn't be so generous with this information because I have worked hard and spent alot of money to be able to enjoy such a spot. Not to mention, I actively work at becoming a better fisherman, and most of my friends do not.
On the other hand though, when it costs my family and I nearly $200 in gas and tolls to take our boat fishing in NY Harbor, specific help sure is appreciated.
What I have learned is, the more general the audience, the more general the question should be (and the response I should expect). Likewise, the smaller and more specific the audience is, the more specific my questions can be. But, that doesn't mean I can expect a specific answer, we must respect each person's right to keep their hot spots theirs.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:07 PM

Default Re: WOW...Lesson learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStriper
What I have learned is, the more general the audience, the more general the question should be (and the response I should expect). Likewise, the smaller and more specific the audience is, the more specific my questions can be. But, that doesn't mean I can expect a specific answer, we must respect each person's right to keep their hot spots theirs.
That's extremely well said

I'm in NJ, the most densely populated state in the nation. because of that we've been sensitive to spotburning since the days even before the internet.

Example, Russ Wilson (RIP) a genuinely nice guy and a great Tog fisherman burned a shore based spot in one of his free seminars - it just happened to be my favorite tog jetty. That was it, from that moment on for the next few years there were always people fishing it, most of em ignoring the laws and keeping everything, and the tog fishing was never as good again. (then they pumped sand and ruined the fishing but thats another story )

More recently we've lost a few private property spots that were available to us to park and access the beach after some clown posted them on the internet. Next thing you know the empty dirt lot is full of cars and garbage. Of course the property owner fenced off the land taking away our access, and I can't blame him.

We've lost access to a few spots along the bayshore due to crowds and garbage that can be directly contributed to spot burning on the internet.

Besides, isn't fishing really all about the hunt and the joy of the chase? Having someone tell you exactly where to stand, when to stand there and what to throw is like going on one of those canned hunts where the deer are all in a fenced in area. Pretty lame if you ask me.

You'll never see an accomplished fisherman burn a spot. If you've been around for a while you'll learn by experience that giving up a spot, especially a small spot, usually means that at some point of time you'll show up there to fish and there will already be someone there (usually a friend of someone that you opened your mouth to) blocking you out of a spot you worked hard to find.

5 miles + is usually considered acceptable in a post. This is the way we do it in the Midcoast reports forum for NJ:
Bayshore = Parkway Bridge to Atlantic Highlands
Hook = Sandy Hook
NoMon = SeaBright to Asbury Park
SoMon = Bradley Beach to Manasquan
NoOcean = Point Pleasant to Seaside
IBSP = Island Beach State Park
SoOcean = Toms River to Forked River
For river or back bay fish just use one of the above terms and follow with "in the back"
Old 05-08-2006, 01:30 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I just wanted to say that I have found the people on this site to be extremely generous with their knowledge. When I first started this addiction in the summer of 2004 I knew just about nothing about striper fishing, after reading several books and finding this web site I have become a better fisherman. The knowledge I have gained here has allowed me to go on the hunt for myself, and when I use what I have learned to catch a fish it is extremely gratifying. I hope at some point I will have more knowledge so I can help newbies find and catch fish.

I want to thank all of you out there who have answered my questions and given me tips, rock on!!

btw landed my first fish of the season today(Sunday)