Boats? - Page 8 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boaters Forum This forum is for boaters both fresh and saltwater. Trolling / Tips / Tactics / Maintenance

Old 06-29-2005, 01:41 PM

I actually have 3 boats. For different purposes.

1 handbuilt (by my skillful dad) wooden indian river skiff, 16 foot long, narrow profile, mainly for creek fishing and short trips offshore. It has a 9.9 evinrude 1985 engine (tiller 2 stroke), (kicker off our biggest boat) and has enough room for 6 people. Flat bottom, white interior, storage areas, blue outer with black bottom paint, splash rails keep you dry in 2 foot chop. Not a fun ride for chop over 2 and a half feet. (or with more then 3 people in 1 and a half foot chop) 28+ mph with 1 person, 24+ with 2, 20+ with 3 or more 1 6 gallon tank

1 Dell Quay 13 ft sport boat. Basically, its the exact same thing as a boston whaler. 6 seats, side sit-down console. It is 1975, and was in horrible condition, but again, my dad came to the rescue, and it was rejuvinated, transom replaced and reinforced with seacast. It was rated for a 30 hp, but with the new transom, we slapped a 40 hp 2004 Yamaha 2-stroke on her. DAMN! this boat is a rocket! 45+ mph, 40+ mph with 3-4 people. Really sucks in chop over 2 feet, very bumpy. Currently, this boat has issues, and is flipped upside down in the front lawn, stripped. It looks brand new, with new paint and cracks fixed and all, but it has developed serious airbubbles in the hull. Me and my dad are going to cut the bottom off and fill it with something, or lower the hull to the foam. We want to sell it and get a 17 footer or similiar, for fishing (for me because I cant use the biggest boat). Two 6 gallon tanks

1 22ft deep V hull. 1988 hull, dual console with bow seating and console seating. Can hold 8 people. 225 2001 Optimax Mercury engine, this boat goes at a nice 58+ mph with 2 people. Also currently has issues, the TPS throttle positioning sensor is fritzing. No big problem at all, just a simple replacement, although its annoying when the alarm goes off for no reason every 25 minutes of running time. 65 gallon tank and room for at least 10 rods, 4 trolling rod spots, broken fishfinder, no radio (damn), for gauges, just a tach, fuel gauge, and warning gauge. And of course a compass.

The boat I use for fishing most though is my friends. He pays for gas I pay for rods, bait and everything else. He has a 17 ft boston whaler, with 90 horse yama. 4 rod holders (3 ones broke) but I made a milk cart holder. dual console, its great for fishing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Veteran

The happiest day in a boatsmens life, is the day he buys it. the second happiest day is the day he sells it :huh: :duh: :hail:

Boat stands for break- out- another - thousand :huh: :chin: :doh: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Old 06-30-2005, 12:40 AM

I've got a 20' Seacraft Master Angler, 1979

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2005, 01:52 PM

16' aquasport w/ envinrude 50hp :(

on a REALLY calm day, it's safe enough to take out in the ocean, otherwise I have to keep it inside. Once i'm older I plan on buying a really nice boat.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:06 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I have a 18' seapro with a 130 evin.. I,ve been on parkers and they're nice boats for casting/ jigging and flyfishing. you can go in rough seas or shallow water. they do pound some, and you can get wet when its rough. they kind of remind me of a seapro exept they cost alot more are built better and retain their value. I know a guy that had a seacraft before he got a parker, and he said he misses the seacraft sometimes. it was just to heavy to go in shallow water.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:45 AM
Veteran

That seacraft is a nice boat . My buddy had a 1973 years ago. we went everywere in it. Had a modified vee in the 20 ft model. The 23ft. had a deep-vee that was a little dryer. Very well make boat. good luck.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea sea rider
That seacraft is a nice boat . My buddy had a 1973 years ago. we went everywere in it. Had a modified vee in the 20 ft model. The 23ft. had a deep-vee that was a little dryer. Very well make boat. good luck.
Thanks. But FWIW, both the 20 and 23 have the same type of hull. That is the variable deadrise hull that uses vertical risers instead of strakes. It makes for a very smooth ride and soft landings in a steep chop. The 23 simply has more degrees of maximum deadrise than the 20.

Everything is a matter of compromise when selecting boats. The 20 suits me fine for what I do from Narragansett Bay to Block Island to Martha's Vineyard.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:33 PM

I have a jonboat, a rubber dingy and a float tube does that count?

Actually i love the C-hawks just too cheap to buy a new one. Always worried about the money tree. The one I had surveyed was a dog. Too bad. Still in search of the perfect boat for me.
I like surfcasting too much anyway. Even though I cant get to far. Slow and steady said the tortoise.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:11 AM

Here are a couple photos of my old boat. Ready to go catch some fishes ;) .

Old 10-06-2005, 05:59 PM

Very Nice Bait. Kudos. Looks like a beautiful fish catching machine now.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:22 PM

Thanks Jim. Still running a little rough right now, but I have a carburator rebuild kit coming next week. Hopefully that'll take care of it. Crappy weather this weekend anyway.

On a side note,, I wish all launch ramps were set up like this (Westport River at Rt 88). This is perfect! Docks extending straight out from the double wide ramp. Close parking. Perfect for launching/loading by yourself without getting wet. I'd love to find a launch site like this over in Narragansett/Mt. Hope somewhere, because I'm usually going out alone. If anyone knows of anything like this over there, or anywhere else within driving distance of Fall River, please let me know. All the other ramps I've checked out either have no dock at all, or the dock is too far away from the ramp to be of any use while launching/loading.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:27 PM

A bait, lots of room on that there boat, and thats all ya need.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:07 PM

Actually, for 16' 6" boat, it does feel pretty roomy. There are a couple bass boat type seats that I usually take out when I'm by myself, cause they just get in the way. One mounts in the bow and one just in front of the engine cowl. I've been in some 16' boats that felt half this size. 3 people can fish out of it pretty comfortably. Maybe next year I'll put a trolling motor on her. It's hard to go slow enough to troll effectively with the engine.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:05 PM
First Mate

:)
Old 12-27-2005, 12:26 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff