A 2016 Regulation Proposal - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-14-2016, 09:17 PM
Senior Member Elite

Default Re: A 2016 Regulation Proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen usavich View Post
don't the female fish have Boobies? I could be wrong
As Howard Stern always said .... "i'm a vagina man"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2016, 11:33 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Force View Post
100% true - enforcement should come first! At the marina we dock at, there is a DEC boat. The only time you see it out is during "Safe Boating Week". Then it's only - lifejackets and marine reg. check. Never ask about Herring count or Stripers caught.
That is an interesting Proposal, I myself don't keep many stripers at all during spring season(Hudson River) maybe one or two, the sad part is that the DEC headquarters of NYS are located about 300 yrds. from a Major launch in Albany and I cant remember when I saw the last DEC boat on the river in our area. I do like your idea better regs should be in effect EVERYWHERE.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:40 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by northface View Post
I like the tag rule. However, since the Hudson is a spawning ground and you'll never see a cow outside of spawning season, sounds like most of the people on this forum would be excluded from keeping anything larger 32". I still get caught up on this, "The fish on that side of the lake are ok to keep but the fish on this side are not". They swim. They travel 100's of miles each year. So why not make the rules consistent. Make it a lottery just like antlerless deer. If you don't pull a winning ticket this year, you get priority next.

For the record, it won't matter to me. When spawning is over and the fish migrate out to the sound or Block Island. I'm out there anyway. Additionally, I'd vote for not allowing anyone/anywhere to keep a fish over 32" for the next 3 years. Then switch to a lottery after that.

The object of tighter rules in the spawning grounds is to allow the to spawn and drop their eggs.....what happens in the ocean is after the fact......many of the larger females will not come back.....all the the 176 we caught in the ocean were females BTW......there is no shortage. I do support stricter regs though because I wanna see then strive and numbers grow. We have missed hooking up on many fish in a drift because we were spending uo to 20 minutes reviving fish. We only keep the few that we fail to revive. Greg Myerson is working on a special weight that pulls the Striper to the bottom so they release their air and have a much higher percentage of living......his testing has a 100% success rate. I am eagerly awaiting this tool.

The biggest problem is most people have no clue how to successfully revive a Striper....it is sad and I see it all too often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2016, 11:57 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
The object of tighter rules in the spawning grounds is to allow the to spawn and drop their eggs.....what happens in the ocean is after the fact......many of the larger females will not come back.....all the the 176 we caught in the ocean were females BTW......there is no shortage. I do support stricter regs though because I wanna see then strive and numbers grow. We have missed hooking up on many fish in a drift because we were spending uo to 20 minutes reviving fish. We only keep the few that we fail to revive. Greg Myerson is working on a special weight that pulls the Striper to the bottom so they release their air and have a much higher percentage of living......his testing has a 100% success rate. I am eagerly awaiting this tool.

The biggest problem is most people have no clue how to successfully revive a Striper....it is sad and I see it all too often.
you"re adding them up Doc, cant tell males from females, cant revive fish, wrong gear for fighting fish properly, it all adds up. I catch most of my fish in the ocean Cape cod in june , july There are lots of fish!! I know this also, But better regs , should be enforced, there are literally thousands of people who come to fish for stripers every spring in the river that Don't know or even care about the rules and regs, I see it every year, ****************ers keep everything.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:44 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen usavich View Post
.....should be enforced, there are literally thousands of people who come to fish for stripers every spring in the river that Don't know or even care about the rules and regs, I see it every year, ****************ers keep everything.
^ Second that. I watched a guy last year come out from the dam with his boat and two big coolers. The one had their two legal stripers...the other had "just herring", but weirdly enough when they were dumping some water I noticed stripes...and a pile of shad, definitely not herring. At that point they hooked up their trailer and were out of there.