Camp Ellis Jetty/pier - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Maine
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Maine Maine Striper Fishing discussion & reports

Old 07-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Official Member

Default Camp Ellis Jetty/pier

Hey guys! new to the forum, however not new to striper fishing. I just wanted to see how they've been hitting in the Camp Ellis area. I am on my way up this Friday for a week of vacation on the beach and more importantly, fishing. I have had great luck in the past both on the Jetty (river side) and near the boat ramp. Any info, tips, bait, or hotspots to share would be awesome! I would really love to see my 8 y/o son, Caleb, hook into a keeper as he has only caught schoolies in the past! Help us out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Young salt

Default Re: Camp Ellis Jetty/pier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassackwards View Post
Hey guys! new to the forum, however not new to striper fishing. I just wanted to see how they've been hitting in the Camp Ellis area. I am on my way up this Friday for a week of vacation on the beach and more importantly, fishing. I have had great luck in the past both on the Jetty (river side) and near the boat ramp. Any info, tips, bait, or hotspots to share would be awesome! I would really love to see my 8 y/o son, Caleb, hook into a keeper as he has only caught schoolies in the past! Help us out!
I live in OOB and fish the Camp Ellis, Pine Point, Scarboough area. They have been hitting stripers pretty good all over the place in southern Maine and if ya hit Camp Ellis it at the right time/tide you'll get into some mackerel as well. Hotspots aren't shared too often in public forums but I can send ya an inbox message with a few spots that should produce fish for you and your son. Good luck man, weather has been beautiful up here and the fishing has been even better.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:41 PM
NukinFuts

I'll add a little to what hyper wrote. I fished that area all the way up to Cape Elizabeth for the past 4 day's. Fishing has been sporadic at best. Fish are around, but lock jaw has taken over. Macs are around, but will require some chum to draw them in, in good numbers. Not sure if it's the summer doldrums or what, but early morning/evening is best. There are fish around, so don't despair, and everyday is different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Bill W.

Got two keepers at the mouth yesterday. My buddy lost what appeared to be a big one. Got mack's beforehand, but had to fish for them for an hour or so. Got plenty for the morning, but certainly none for the freezer. Thinking of drifting in front of the beaches in the next few days at high tide. Kids are going to my brothers in phoenix for 16 days starting on friday. So I will have nothing but time till the end of the month. Yahoo!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Official Member

Thanks for all the info guys, can anyone recommend a decent, REASONABLY priced charter. We may want to go out for a while.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Bill W.

Going back out tonight. Experimenting at the middle of high tide around wherever, then a usual spot (from boat) just before low tide at 1am.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Official Member

Maybe I'll see ya down there. Probably gonna go fish macs in a few
Old 07-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Bill W.

Mac's seem to have disappeared, tried this morning in front of wood. I wasn't chumming. Anyone have any suggestions? I caught some larger ones last week. :(

The lobstering is going pretty good at least. :)~
Old 07-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldsoul4foos View Post
Mac's seem to have disappeared, tried this morning in front of wood. I wasn't chumming. Anyone have any suggestions? I caught some larger ones last week. :(

The lobstering is going pretty good at least. :)~

I was catching them pretty good the other day at the Maine State Pier in Portland, but still had to put in a few hours in to do so. Small hooks under a bobber with tiny pieces of bait seemed to work better than Sabiki rigs or xmas trees........at least from what I saw. It appears as though the macs and stripers have headed offshore, my guess would be due to the rising water temperatures. I've seen a small handful caught over the last week or so, but to say it's been sporadic would be an understatement. Good luck out there man, hope you're having better luck than I am.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Bill W.

I more than likely am NOT. However, the lobsters are filling the void quite nicely. Picking up two rod/reel setups for sharks tomorrow morning. I wonder if a great white will float up this far north of cape cod. Wouldn't that be something.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Striper Hunter

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum as I've just moved back to Maine in August.
It's now the first week of Sept.
I've tried for macks and stripers since the first week of August down at Camp Ellis and Ferry Beach (surf casting) with no luck except for one lonely mack two weeks ago. I've tried Mackworth Island, Two Lights, and also Fort Williams all with no luck. I've mostly fished during sunrise and sunset times and a little during the day. No dead of night fishing as the wife doesn't want me to go alone.
I'm reading reports from Saco Bay Tackle and The Tackle Shop about folks catching down there for weeks, now. I'm not seeing anyone catch anything and haven't seen anyone else fishing the beach. Each person who I've run into fishing have gave me the same reports of no fish for the past few weeks. Who are these folks the shops are talking about and how are they catching them?
Yes, I am using what has been recommended: Sluggo's, Black Mambo's, live sand worms, clams, chunk baits, etc. (no other live bait, thought)

When I was here last, 8 years ago, I was catching them at each of the locations without any trouble.

Anyone from this forum actually fishing this area and are you catching lately?
Old 09-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by egogearhead View Post
Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum as I've just moved back to Maine in August.
It's now the first week of Sept.
I've tried for macks and stripers since the first week of August down at Camp Ellis and Ferry Beach (surf casting) with no luck except for one lonely mack two weeks ago. I've tried Mackworth Island, Two Lights, and also Fort Williams all with no luck. I've mostly fished during sunrise and sunset times and a little during the day. No dead of night fishing as the wife doesn't want me to go alone.
I'm reading reports from Saco Bay Tackle and The Tackle Shop about folks catching down there for weeks, now. I'm not seeing anyone catch anything and haven't seen anyone else fishing the beach. Each person who I've run into fishing have gave me the same reports of no fish for the past few weeks. Who are these folks the shops are talking about and how are they catching them?
Yes, I am using what has been recommended: Sluggo's, Black Mambo's, live sand worms, clams, chunk baits, etc. (no other live bait, thought)

When I was here last, 8 years ago, I was catching them at each of the locations without any trouble.

Anyone from this forum actually fishing this area and are you catching lately?
This year, moreso than any other year since I moved up here, you really need to put your time in to get on the fish. I don't mean to sound like a broken record as I'm sure you've heard it a million times, but I plan on spending 3, 4 hours or more just for the chance to catch a fish, maybe 2-3 if I'm lucky. I've had all my luck in Old Orchard this season right off the beach floating worms (sand or blood) 2 at a time. Clams and mackerel also work well but be prepared to bring a LOT of bait cause the crabs will eat it up within 5-10 minutes for as long as you keep throwing it. It's definitely been sporadic this year and not uncommon to go multiple days, sometimes up to a week at a time without catching anything. We had a good night 2 weeks ago friday as my buddy and I landed 5 fish and missed another 3 or 4. Try fishing the low tide coming in and ya should have some better luck using worms. Be prepared to spend 3-4 hours out there if ya want to maximize your chances of catching a fish. Since then we have caught maybe a fish or two apiece and spent countless hours watching our rods NOT bend over. Here is a pic of a fish I caught a couple weeks ago right off the beach in O.O.B.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperHyper View Post
This year, moreso than any other year since I moved up here, you really need to put your time in to get on the fish. I don't mean to sound like a broken record as I'm sure you've heard it a million times, but I plan on spending 3, 4 hours or more just for the chance to catch a fish, maybe 2-3 if I'm lucky. I've had all my luck in Old Orchard this season right off the beach floating worms (sand or blood) 2 at a time. Clams and mackerel also work well but be prepared to bring a LOT of bait cause the crabs will eat it up within 5-10 minutes for as long as you keep throwing it. It's definitely been sporadic this year and not uncommon to go multiple days, sometimes up to a week at a time without catching anything. We had a good night 2 weeks ago friday as my buddy and I landed 5 fish and missed another 3 or 4. Try fishing the low tide coming in and ya should have some better luck using worms. Be prepared to spend 3-4 hours out there if ya want to maximize your chances of catching a fish. Since then we have caught maybe a fish or two apiece and spent countless hours watching our rods NOT bend over. Here is a pic of a fish I caught a couple weeks ago right off the beach in O.O.B.
Thanks for the quick post, StriperHyper, I do appreciate the feedback and info. Your info sounds realistic as compared with the shop reports. I'll keep plugging (pun intended) away at it and may use worms again. Hopefully, the fall run will be worth the summer lull this year.

Maybe I'll run into you out there sometime. Good luck to you, too.