13 foot whaler fishing help??? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boaters Forum This forum is for boaters both fresh and saltwater. Trolling / Tips / Tactics / Maintenance

Old 03-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Striper Hunter

Default 13 foot whaler fishing help???

IM 14 and have the merrimac river of massachusetts 20 minutes away. there is a place called joppa flats that contains many stripers big and small. i want to fish this place and the river itsdelf for flounder and blues. I was wondering if i could use a 13 foot whaler for this type of fishing as long as i dont travel out of the mouth?? please help?!?!?!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 09:15 PM
First Mate

Default Re: 13 foot whaler fishing help???

ok my .02....1st your too young to be on the merrimac by yourself with out a adult. I have a few boats i have taken my 14' out their but it can be a hand full. that said a 13' on joppa at night in decent weather would be fine. just keep away from the mouth and even stay out of the heavy currents.

as for fish your gonna mostly find stripers on the flats, i've never caught a flounder there,i have caught them close to the flats in the river tho, but the best flounder fishing is usually out front on the beach. Usually when i'm on the flats i'm sporting eels in the hunt for stipers. I catch the occational snapper blue on the flats later in the season but not alot.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:35 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
ok my .02....1st your too young to be on the merrimac by yourself with out a adult. I have a few boats i have taken my 14' out their but it can be a hand full. that said a 13' on joppa at night in decent weather would be fine. just keep away from the mouth and even stay out of the heavy currents.

as for fish your gonna mostly find stripers on the flats, i've never caught a flounder there,i have caught them close to the flats in the river tho, but the best flounder fishing is usually out front on the beach. Usually when i'm on the flats i'm sporting eels in the hunt for stipers. I catch the occational snapper blue on the flats later in the season but not alot.
thanx a bunch. I found one on craigslist and it looks good. might go check it out. what else do i need beside the whaler and 30 horse motor??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 12:30 PM
First Mate

if you havent got the boat not too sure i'd look for a 13' boat, for the $$ of a whaler you could probally get a 14 or 16' aluminum boat ......
again 13' is really small for the merrimac
if you just want to fish the flats you may want to consider a kayak, quiet cheap and floats on very little water
Old 03-25-2011, 01:30 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

OK... well, a 13' boat is fine for the flats and up river ( everyone is hung up on Joppa.. the fish travel much farther up river)... I started fishing the river ALONE when I was 12, in a 14' plywood, home made boat with a antiqe Firestone 7 HP motor....so at age 14, if your parents are cool with is, it is feasable, it all depends on your leval of maturaty... I recomend a boaters safty coarse.. it should be mandatory in all states for any one in any type of water craft.. including Kayaks and jet ski's

Operating a boat is a huge resposibilty... the water ways are much more crowded now than they were when i was a youngster in the early 70's..learning the river and how the tides effect it takes years.. IMHO.. you are never too young to start your "journey"

BTW.. those old 13' Whaler were pretty darn seaworth... and make great little fishing vessels..
Old 03-25-2011, 03:04 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I agree I have seen people in some pretty tough water with the little montauks, to the point where it made me nervous seeing them out there. A john boat may save you money but The whalers make a great hull and the boat will not lose much value.

Along with a boaters safety course make sure you take a class on small engines or even marine engines. It could save your butt out there.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Striper Hunter

this all good. i think ill stick with the 13 foot whaler and if i can find a good 19 footer or below center console. i will get that
Old 03-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Veteran

I agree with Rocco My son was in his 13' whaler when about 11 or 12 and it is a great little boat of a kid. I would rather see you in the Whaler then in a 15' or 17' Aluminum boat. We still have the Whaler 35years later. Now it's me boat again. He has a 40' boat
Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea sea rider View Post
I agree with Rocco My son was in his 13' whaler when about 11 or 12 and it is a great little boat of a kid. I would rather see you in the Whaler then in a 15' or 17' Aluminum boat. We still have the Whaler 35years later. Now it's me boat again. He has a 40' boat
I have friend who has been on boats his entire life. last year he got a 13 foot whaler for 5600 and put 10000 dollars worth of work and now he punches through breakers and does whatever he can do to go fishing!!! so a 13 foot whaler is gonna be my choice if i can find one for cheap money thats good