Pluggage - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:02 PM

Default Pluggage

Have you had more than good luck with a particular plug.
Who built it and why does it have the mojo?
Under what conditions are you tossing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Pluggage

I have several that I have confidence in and some that absolutely shine - under the right circumstanses.
These two in particular.
Custom slopehead made by ricksi he named the gunnyrunner - Waggles slowly below the surface - as soon as it gets dark this plug excells for me in moderate surf or calm seas.
The 08 version not the 09.
Next up would be a custom darter made by Joe Brotz. - Roccus.
Outgoing tide night time sand bar edges. moderate to ripping current.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:18 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I have done well with a 4290 plug slope head three treble swimmer I have wanted to change the tail hook to a tied siwash but don't dare. I am afraid to screw up the action.
I have done well with sconies darter as well in olive. And I have caught a quite few on my own peanut swimmer as well.
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 06:22 PM
First Mate

I will second the Gunnyrunner. I made it my last resort for fun fishing because it makes it almost too easy.
I use a parrot pencil for daybreak.
S&S darter twitched when current falls off.
eel with squid tin
Old 12-09-2010, 10:40 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I only fish my own stuff ( I collect plenty of others plugs but wont fish them)..

My spook the 6" version ( featured here in a how to) has done it's best day breaks and sun sets.. Mostly on the flats early moning, but I had a memorable mid day blitz with Coalman two Augusts ago...in the mouth of the river on a dropping tide

The 9" joppa Jinx jointed eel has saved many a night in both the flats and out on the beach.. when a slightly bigger slim profile bait was on the menu... this is a calm water plug..

I make several styles of darter, some heavy ( Montauk style) designed after the great darter made by the late jack Fretch...these are best in rough water and heavy currents some times it's a toss up, darter or bottle plug...

I've done well with both conrads and slope heads at the bottom of the tide ( ebb) when the tide just wasnt running hard enough to run a goo-goo on wire or swim a darter but the fish were too deep for a danny...

the crowned prince the last two seasons has to be the 6" sand eel plug, inspired by Danny pinkney's sand eel plug.... this plug has caught more bass the last two years than all the others combined... some of the largest too... one of which taped out at 48".... this is a sub surface slim profile swimmer that seems best in calm flat water.... I need to make more of these as an under water freight train... peeled off 50+ yards of line through a mooring field and kept on swimming.. plug and line in tow.... it was in early October.. the last fish I hooked this past season...
Old 12-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Official Member

Try to get the "Right" action on the plugs you own. You'd be surprized at how many are not "Tuned" correctly.