Striper/Bluefish trolling question - - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boaters Forum This forum is for boaters both fresh and saltwater. Trolling / Tips / Tactics / Maintenance

Old 09-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Striper/Bluefish trolling question -

So i have a few questions from a guy who has only jigged, livelined, and used bait since i got my boat.

i am looking to get into trolling this fall. i have 6 rods now - all on 6 foot m/h rods, standard conventional reels spooled with mono - 20lb if i remember correctly.

anyway, from what i read i think you need wire to troll bunker spoons and umbrella rigs. my question is what can i troll from the setups i have - would like to go try to mess around with some bluefish and whatever else is around the breezy point, sandy hook, raritan bay area this weekend...

any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 03:07 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Striper/Bluefish trolling question -

You can troll all kinds of lures without wire. Wire sucks IMO anyways. Your fighting the wire instead of the fish. I've even seen people use umbella rigs without wire but I'd used a bit more pound test so you don't lose ur rig and kill a fish. Tubes is probably the most consistent. In 20 FOW you don't need much weight. Get those inline sinkers with good swivlels or the keel weights and tip it with a sandworm. Slow and go with the current close to structure. Bunker spoons with work the same way as tubes also. Big jointed rapalas or the new sebiles are always good. And at night try a very slow danny on top.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Striper Hunter

i appreciate the advice - thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 11:20 AM
OneMoreCast

I've had good luck using power pro for trolling umbrellas and such. The smaller diameter cuts through the water better than mono. That said mono will work just fine especially if you use a smaller umbrella rig, with 20lb I wouldn't try dragging a bigger rig the drag will strain the line to begin with then throw 15lbs of angry bluefish on the end and your rig is history. You can also reduce the drag on the rigs by using smaller teasers like tubes or eels as opposed to big swim shads or something. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Striper Hunter

are there any specific lures/ umbrella rigs/ tubes that you would suggest for my setup? thanks a lot
Old 09-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Official Member

dabears54, the guys replies above are a great start. like them, i try to avoid the wire, so instead try using 2-4' of heavy mono or floro for leaders. floro goes deeper but is harder to knot tie, so i actualy use copolamar floro/mono. try 40-100#, but even 40# should work unless the blues are getting fiesty
for tackle i'd look at flukes since you have live bait experience or swim baits. the flukes and super flukes are easy to use, pick up some wide gap gammy hooks, about 4/0-6/0 size, although i have gotten away with just worm hooks. rig them weedless either texas or carolina rigged, avoid texposed unless you are missing a lot of hits. the swim baits are simple to use but are much more difficult to keep from getting hung up. the smaller the swim bait, the less current or trolling speed it takes to keep them up in the water column, if that's what you are looking to do. if your pitching or looking to troll deeper, step up to a bigger swim bait. for example a 4" swim bait is eay to play with and keep closer to the surface. 5 and 6" swim baits head down to the depths easier, although heavy current or troll speed can bring them right up to top water. the big 9" swim baits easily get deeper down but can be a mouth full for the stripers - they still attack or "mug" the swim bait, so you get lots of hits but fewer hookups...mostl!

using surface and top water cranks like bombers in the heavy duty and magnum sizes are what i mostly use. easy to pitch or troll, if you are trolling them, be sure to check them every 15 minutes or less for sea weed or other junk. it's a funny thing, if you add a skirt to bulk up a bait, the stripers will often nail it, but leave one little piece of seaweed on it and they won't touch it most times!

i hope this helps. are you trolling or pitching?
Old 09-18-2010, 12:13 AM
Striper Hunter

that helps a ton - i appreciate you taking the time - i will be trolling.... will take this advice - depending on how the hurricane offshore goes i will let you guys know if i make it out tomorrow - looking to try a few of the techniques mentioned... thanks
Old 03-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Veteran

Wire does suck, but if you want to get down That's what the big boys use. You can use lead core ,but you won't get down as far. Lead core is easier to use. More friendy. Braid is thinner and you get more line on the spool. I use braid for backing.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:36 PM
First Mate

if you need to get down deeper and as long as you dont want to use umbrellas you can also try down riggers....they are not just for fresh water