Casting Jigs - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:37 PM
First Mate

Default Casting Jigs

wow. it's been a long time since i posted here. Sites gotten huge.

More to the point, where i fish here in NC we do a lot of vertical jigging on reefs and ledges, and there really isn't anything that can measure up to the "butterfly jigs". Even at 4 bucks the cheap Chinese knockoffs on clearance sale are too expensive cause we can go through 5-10 in a day, depending on if the toothy fish are biting.

I've heard you can get old wheel weights for free, so i was thinking i could fairly easily and cheaply make some of these. but i don't know what i could use to make the molds. any ideas?

Also, for the few that'll remember me, thanks. you guys helped me a ton in the early stages of me learning to fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Casting Jigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmno
Also, for the few that'll remember me, thanks
Sure we remember you Andy. Glad all is well.

me wee little fishy
Old 04-04-2010, 01:55 PM
First Mate

sadly one of only two stripers ever caught on our boat. we have had quite a bit of luck on the other fish. here's a newer picture

3/30/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 01:05 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i'm astonished to see somebody pop in like this.
don't be such a stranger young man..

Old 04-05-2010, 01:20 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

electric melting pots are available all over. but wheel lead is mixed with other chit alloys and is not entirely made of lead. so it takes some time to get the jigs right. i don't do it or anything, i just know this stuff. we all have intentions of doing things and making things but i just don't go near lead.
be careful if you decide to do this; here is some of what i have aquired in regard to your questions. oil the hinges with 20 or 30w oil always.
molten metal may result in a nasty burn. Be alert! Wear eye protection. A pair of gloves will protect your hands from lead spatters or contact with hot tools. Remember that during use your mold can become very hot. WATER COMING IN CONTACT WITH MOLTEN LEAD WILL CAUSE IT TO POP AND SPATTER VIOLENTLY. Pre-heat any ladles or dippers before immersing in molten lead. Pre-warming will evaporate any condensed moisture. Observe ventilation and lead handling procedures to minimize harmful exposures to lead.
The proper style and size of hooks are listed on all jig molds. While other similar styles or sizes sometimes can be used, best results will be obtained with the inserts recommended. Lure molds that require wire inserts should be used with wire closest to the maximum wire diameter.Let the melting pot heat up longer before using
Preheat the mold by making several casting with no inserts
Pour a fine stream of lead directly into the cavity gate. The Sprue area should fill only after the cavity is full.
shit wrincles when using Hard Lead (Wheel weights)
Low lead temperature
Slow filling of the cavity
Flashing around the lure cavity is caused by using the wrong sized insert or material building up on the machined surface of the mold. Look for small speck of lead and other particles that may stop the mold from closing completely.New molds will sometimes trap air preventing a cavity from filling. A small piece of tape applied to the machined portion of the mold near the handles will allow trapped air to escape and the cavity to fill. After 100-200 pours, the mold will break in and the tape will no longer be required.When using molds that require pull pins, oil them lightly or smoke with a candle before use. Remove the pull pin quickly before the lead cools and shrinks. i saved this when i read it and had every intention back then of making my own chit. short lived endeavor or brainstorm of mine. but it's worth having had saved the info for you, welcome home stranger...

Old 04-05-2010, 08:58 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Andy!!!!! glad to hear from ya lad... good to see your still hard at it....
Old 04-05-2010, 09:04 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I have a lee Production pot that is the nuts for stuff up to 4 ounces, larger than that the bigger ones take over.... check the do it mold site, they carry them, you may find them cheaper elsewhere, but at least that will give you a starting point..

Zim gave you the run down on how nasty the stuff is... one thing that aids in pouring is "fluxing" each batch of lead.... a small pea sized wax ball is dropped into the hot lead.. yup it flames up but the results are outstanding...I dont do it all the time, mostly when I'm pouring spinner baits or shad darts...
Old 04-05-2010, 10:09 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
Andy!!!!! glad to hear from ya lad... good to see your still hard at it....
actually the past two years have been pretty chaotic and that picture is from the first time i've fished in almost 2 years. i plan on hittin it pretty hard this summer though. i think my friend will soon be in possession of a boat slip in wrightsville. another friend calls the ocean off there the promised land

i actually do have some experience casting metal. i made a foundry last year for shits and giggles and melted aluminum. but i do recognize the nastiness of lead. i was planning on having one of those heavy duty fans blowing on it. i think i'll reuse my "flower pot" foundry. my problem was the crucible, but i have a welder now, so i can make a pretty good one. i think i'll save some money and ghetto rig a mold with bondo too.

actually i think i might make a diy for this, as there doesn't seem to be any on the web
Old 04-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmn0 View Post
wow. it's been a long time since i posted here. Sites gotten huge.

I've heard you can get old wheel weights for free, so i was thinking i could fairly easily and cheaply make some of these. but i don't know what i could use to make the molds. any ideas?.
I made a bunch of lead molds out of good old Bondo. I can only pour about 5 or 6 jigs before I have to let it cool. But they seem to be holding up for a long time.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:23 AM
First Mate

5 or 6 at a time is plenty

How much bondo did it take?