When does striper fishing usually end? - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 02-22-2010, 04:55 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Default Re: When does striper fishing usually end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
they don't just eat bunker....
the problem with omega is tenfold btw.
Not to get off topic on this thread (*sorry admin) but I agree the menhaden issue needs to be resolved or the ripples will be felt across the entire fishery. Stripers are now exhibiting MycoBacteriosis due to a loss in fish oil and fat they would normally get from the Menhaden that aren't as prevalent. I haven't read the MEnhaden Book yet but will.
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

the mycobacteriosis problem has been around for years and years. the chesapeake is inundated with infected fish over the past several years. it's said that at least 50% or better are infected there. you really have to know what to look for if your keeping fish. if you cook a fish that's slightly infected and is not noticeable to the naked eye you prolly won't get sick. but don't touch a fish with sores on it barehanded and rub your eyes or skin as it CAN cause rash and you'll need the correct antibiotic. no kiddin... this is called FISH HANDLERS DISEASE in the industry. it can happen in assorted places in the world and not just from striped bass. chances are you won't ever be subjected to it but i've caught fish up here that were infected and it's nasty. i cut one open as i didn't wanna let it go back in the water and it's entire flesh inside was blood red. it was eating her inside out. nasty chit. i got a pic of one somewhere "god knows where" of one i caught which had the telltale red silver dollar sore back by the tail. "which is where most of them have the exit wound" i threw that shorty back with regret. who knows? it could be 36 inches of nasty fish by now..

Old 02-22-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
With water temps below 44 degrees.
Thats when I used to give up.
Now its bitter air temps - biting wind and old age that are the enemies.
Takes the fun right out of it for me.
Same here.
Pretty much done with "Ice in the guides" fishing