7/17 intended all nighter - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boaters Forum This forum is for boaters both fresh and saltwater. Trolling / Tips / Tactics / Maintenance

Old 07-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Default 7/17 intended all nighter

heading out tonight at 6:30 ish.
Hope to get to the Island w/ some eels.
May buzz the Breachway in Charlestown or the Lighthouse on the way.
Will be leaving from Salt Pond.
Anyone else going?

Initiating the son-inlaw to eeling (first time). I hope he gets to Wahoo a couple of times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2009, 12:45 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Default Re: 7/17 intended all nighter

Best of luck and take her slow. I am sure there will be a few wahoo's in Rhodie tonight
Old 07-17-2009, 04:38 PM

Good luck out there tonight Gary

I'll be on the other side of the bay tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

No fish, but,,,, entertaining(?) evening.

1) Launched, son-inlaw went to park truck / trailer. 45 minutes later he comes back saying "Can't get into parking area!"
Newly reopened restaurant had customers parking to block the trailer area. 2 others, 1 with 3 little kids have waited over an hour to get the trailers out of the lot to load, but restaurant's customers kept it blocked.
went and asked the restaurant if they could help out, they said, "Not my problem!" and that was that.

2) Outside the West Gap, 2 40 y.o. guy/gal clowns paddling a 14ft. skiff type "thing" against the out going w/ oars (and loosing ground fast). Dark setting in, both BI ferries coming in, thunder / lightning coming in. Yeah, smart folks. No motor, no lights, not happy.
alright, felt sorry for their sorry asses, but didn't want to see anyone hurt, offered to tow in. Nothing to tie to in front, rotted parachute chord was all they had for anchor line. Finally dragged my rope out (nicely stowed!) for the tow. Part way in (dark now) the C.G. comes by, slowed, looks us over, and drives off. (Thank you C.G. for offering assistance!) The tow was interesting in it's self! Next time I'll watch the idiots from a distance!!!!!

3) Okay, Head for the East gap to fish, Black as black can be, fog setting in! Shit let's head closer to the barn. GPS goes fluky! Life became interesting as I tried to remember compass bearings (Ugh!).

4) Back in the pond. "Let's tie up and grab a bite to eat." sounded good to me,,,, no place to tie up!!! Kicked back in boat on drift, enjoyed sardines & crackers w/ a coolie. Straighten out the GPS (or so I thought).

5) Heading back to ramp, fog decides to become soup. Followed GPS into unfamiliar territory. GPS is again looking nuts. Did the no-no thing,, tied off to a red buoy. Tried to get bearings. Compass useless when you have no clue where you're at to begin with. Good for general direction, but that's it. Buoy number should of helped, but couldn't remember for certain and stayed put for about 1/2 hr. (figuring)
Then almost instantly, all at the same time, a breeze picked up, fog disappeared, and a big bolt of lightening lit things up like a full moon. (Oh SHIT! )
Bearings clicked, not far from where I figured we were, course set and underway. Just as we started to move the sky opened up. Within seconds we were soaked! My rain jacket for some reason IS NOT WATERPROOF!!! (Damned Walmart crap!).

Anyways, got back to the dock, restaurant is closed, parking lot open, rain stopped, and we said, "Way too much fun for a couple of white boys!"
Sat there, popped a few coolies and babbled like a couple of drowned homeless folks for awhile.

Life IS good!

...... then my son-inlaw asks, "We doing it again tomorrow?"
Old 07-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Striper Hunter

Too funny. I was driving home very late from the cape last night and I know what you mean by the fog and soup. I can only imagine how much worse it was on the water

By the way I'd make sure to lodge a complaint with the restaurant owner of the parking violations. They can be fined for not providing proper parking. And I absolutely hate people who just take it upon themselves to park in an illegal manner that blocks off other people. I'd attach a strap to my hitch and their car and pull them out of the way if I was in a good mood....bad mood and I just back up to their car with the back of my pickup and push them out. Seriously I hate when people show no care for any one else and just park wherever and however they like. Too many morons at boat ramps do similar stuff and it gets very aggravating to those who try to do a responsible job

Sorry for the rant

Now back to our topic....
Old 07-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Yup, kudos to the son-inlaw.
Most folks would of been,,, not happy?
Trust me, he's well initiated!

My daughter is as whacked as I at times. With her 22 siberians that she dog sled races with and my "exploits", he wouldn't tell his side of the family what's new. They'd never believe the crap we put that poor boy through.

Fortunately, he's a good sport and adventuresome.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:37 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

There is a bumper Sticker that locals down the cape have on all their cars. "I am not on your Vaction". People come into town for a week and act like they own the place boat launches and all.

Saturday night I pulled into rock harbor just before sunset, people everywhere, I was doing a bino Check of the bay to see if there was anything worth while out there. Some poor bastard was trying to load his boat onto the truck people wouldn't move to allow him to get to the ramp. It took this guy 15 minutes to get his trailer backed into the launch.